300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty belt question

I have seen officers where black suspenders to support the duty belt. I haven't been able to find them on the internet or even know what they are called. I and others in my department have back problems and I want to look into this equipment. Does anyone out there utilize them and how are they? I have seen officers on the episode "cops" wearing them. Thanks in advance.
    -Hurtin but workin-

Pierce County WA is one of the originators of this concept. We are approved to wear the same model that they have. Check Blumenthal Uniforms website. Its called the model 5301TS, or tactical support harness. You'll also need to get the d-ring keepers to go with it. I'm not wearing it, yet, but I'd really like to.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=NP429

Gall's carries something that sounds like what you're looking for. They're made by Uncle Mike's. Two good reviews and one bad.

Comment

looks like a great thing for a dirtbag to grab a hold of during a fight...no thanks.

Comment

I would suggest wearing a back support belt under your uniform, they are usually a wide elastic band with two supportive bands that strap on with velcro. They are like the one's you see worn by warehouse workers, package delivery people, others who lift heavy objects on their job. The belt, like a weight lifting belt, allows your stomach muscles to support the back.
          A shoulder strap does transfer weight over your shoulder for even distribution but the weight is still there. Just my two cents.

Comment

Having had lower back problems lately due to the duty belt, I tried to get approval to wear suspenders. Admin said no, because it didn't look good with the uniform. Great. You'd think that by now, they would have figured out how much we are spending on workman's comp and medical retirements directly caused by duty belts. God forbid we'd wear a uniform designed in the 21st, or even the 20th, century.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

+1 to ateamer's comments.

Our policy was changed to allow them because of 2 deputies who had been injured on duty. They both had doctors who were about to forbid them to wear duty belts and wanted them to switch to shoulder holsters in uniform. Finding and getting the suspenders approved was a compromise between the department, the county, and the deputies/doctors. Yeah, the weight is still there, but now its spread out over shoulders, hips, and back rather than just back and shoulders alone.
              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I wear the suspenders and will never go back to wearing just a belt. We tested several different ones before settling on the Orca Custom Tactical Suspenders. We had several issues with the Uncle Mikes and very few guys liked them. The Orca's are terrific and well worth it.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.orcacustom.com
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie2812
                  looks like a great thing for a dirtbag to grab a hold of during a fight...no thanks.

They are break away designed and I had one grab them thru my jacket and it popped off no problem.

I wear mine under the shirt and over my armor for appearance and safety's sake.

Worth their weight double in gold as you wont have to keep hiking your pants and lower back pain goes away after first few hours on shift.

Comment

I had the same ones that Pierce County wears, the D-rings contantly broke. I purchased Uncle Mikes and they are built much stronger. They do help with the back problems. I no longer wear them because I lost a bunch of weight and no longer have the back issues.
                    Absolute power, corrupts absolutely

Comment

madic15al, how do you rig them under your shirt? Thanks.
                      John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland
                        madic15al, how do you rig them under your shirt? Thanks.

2 ways. One way is that I put my armor on and am fully dressed except for uniform shirt. I then put my duty belt on and place the keepers on and generally wiggle everything in place. Then the shirt and I will undo the belt and Pants and tuck in around the suspenders. I wear a black t-shirt and work at night and the shirt bulges are behind my mag and pepper spray carriers and cuffs in back. My partner is considering having a tailor slit the shirts where the straps are and attach velcro closures to further hide the bulge.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks, madic. I'll give that a try.

For those interested in suspenders, Eagle Industries and Diamondback Tactical also market them.
                          John from Maryland

Comment

More than welcome, bro!

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. As far as someone being able to grab you by the suspenders, I KNOW THAT!!!! LOL. They can also grab all the other crap I carry. Anyway, put some years in and your back will change. I will submit some ideas to my chief.. Again, thanks to all replied.
                              I have to go stretch,
                              Last edited by wpd1207; 04-13-2007, 05:35 AM. Reason: Said to much, thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5946 users online. 355 members and 5591 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X