Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your duty belt give you problems?

Does your guys duty belt fully loaded give you back problems due to the weight or over weight of the equiptment? I know there is probably a different configuration of equiptment to what job your on, so i'm aiming this to the guys in the cruisers on the streets most of their shift.
    If there are problems, how do you feel about moving some of the items on the duty belt elseware on the body? Such as secondary items, clips, cuffs a flashlight, things there might be two of.

Another problem you will have with your belt is acid reflux. Especially if you are wearing the Sam Brown with large buckle. If you are the least bit overweight when you sit the buckle and width of the belt will push up causing the acid problem.

Comment

Some people are fortunate to have a lot of space on their duty belts.

They key is to keep the back area free of equipment as much as possible. I used to carry double cuffs...until I realized via the chiropractor that it was interferring with the way I sat in the patrol car. Coupled with the position of the laptop...was not good.

So now I keep an extra set of cuffs in my gearbag on the passenger seat. If I need it, I grab em. As for mags, two in the pouch and one in the gun is good for me. Flashlights? Just one, a Stinger on my left side, behind the radio. If you want a bigger flashlight, for nights, cram it into the door pocket where you can access it on the way out.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Zreed
        Does your guys duty belt fully loaded give you back problems due to the weight or over weight of the equiptment? I know there is probably a different configuration of equiptment to what job your on, so i'm aiming this to the guys in the cruisers on the streets most of their shift.
        If there are problems, how do you feel about moving some of the items on the duty belt elseware on the body? Such as secondary items, clips, cuffs a flashlight, things there might be two of.
        I haven't had problems since I add the Orca Tactical harness to my belt. Now I can't imagine working a shift without them. I HIGHLY recommend Orca's to anybody and everybody. As far as moving things around on the belt, I don't like it. I've had my stuff in the same places for nearly 13 years. That's alot of muscle memory to have to defeat.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I ditched the under belt and keepers. I weave my leather duty belt through my pant loops and in between loops I add my equipment. This way they can't move because of the belt loops and its alot more comfortable.

I keep it pretty simple- OC, firearm, Cuffs, nothing in the back area, small flashlight, radio, double mag pouch.

Comment

Actually, for me, I carry both of my cuff cases on my back portion, my back doesn't hurt, mostly because it reminds me to sit up straight while I am in my car, as far as the acid reflux thing, if I cinch it down too tight I do have problems. Going # 2 sucks when in full duty gear.

Comment

If your GO's or SOP's allow you to wear your vest on the outside and have equipment on the outside, I have found this to be the most comfortable. On my belt I have: Firearm, double cuff case, ASP and radio. On vest I have O.C., 2 mags, knife, in car camera mic and2 flashlights (I work 12 hour nights). Most of the weight is taken off my hips and put onto my shoulders.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Before I entered the academy, I worked extra hard to shed the extra pounds. I went from 220 down to 178, then back to 185. The only bad part is, I no longer have an *** to hang my belt on. I'm required to have leather gear, and since I'm still on probation, I can't buy the lighter Bianchi Accumold. I currently carry (2) mag pouch, OC pouch, ASP, Surefire Plastic holster (w/ 6P), Full size Astro radio, Baton ring, key ring, (2) cuff cases, and Safariland gun light holster. I start my shift off good, but by the end of my 12 hour shift, I find myself pulling up my belt.

I'm really thinking of having a doctor surgically attaching belt stays to keep everything in check for a complete 12 hour shift.
                Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Zreed
                  Does your guys duty belt fully loaded give you back problems due to the weight or over weight of the equiptment?
                  FWIW, California has officially recognized that merely wearing the duty belt can result in injuries to the back. As a result, a section of the state Labor Code was enacted to state that such injuries are presumed to be work related and are compensable as such. Under this law, the burden rests with the employing agency to prove the injury was not because of the belt.

3213.2. (a) In the case of a member of a police department of a
                  city, county, or city and county, or a member of the sheriff's office
                  of a county, or a peace officer employed by the Department of the
                  California Highway Patrol, or a peace officer employed by the
                  University of California, who has been employed for at least five
                  years as a peace officer on a regular, full-time salary and has been
                  required to wear a duty belt as a condition of employment, the term
                  "injury," as used in this division, includes lower back impairments.
                  The compensation that is awarded for lower back impairments shall
                  include full hospital, surgical, medical treatment, disability
                  indemnity, and death benefits as provided by the provisions of this
                  division.
                  (b) The lower back impairment so developing or manifesting itself
                  in the peace officer shall be presumed to arise out of and in the
                  course of the employment. This presumption is disputable and may be
                  controverted by other evidence, but unless so controverted, the
                  appeals board is bound to find in accordance with it. This
                  presumption shall be extended to a person following termination of
                  service for a period of three calendar months for each full year of
                  the requisite service, but not to exceed 60 months in any
                  circumstance, commencing with the last date actually worked in the
                  specified capacity.
                  (c) For purposes of this section, "duty belt" means a belt used
                  for the purpose of holding a gun, handcuffs, baton, and other items
                  related to law enforcement.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                    FWIW, California has officially recognized that merely wearing the duty belt can result in injuries to the back. As a result, a section of the state Labor Code was enacted to state that such injuries are presumed to be work related and are compensable as such. Under this law, the burden rests with the employing agency to prove the injury was not because of the belt.

3213.2. (a) In the case of a member of a police department of a
                    city, county, or city and county, or a member of the sheriff's office
                    of a county, or a peace officer employed by the Department of the
                    California Highway Patrol, or a peace officer employed by the
                    University of California, who has been employed for at least five
                    years as a peace officer on a regular, full-time salary and has been
                    required to wear a duty belt as a condition of employment, the term
                    "injury," as used in this division, includes lower back impairments.
                    The compensation that is awarded for lower back impairments shall
                    include full hospital, surgical, medical treatment, disability
                    indemnity, and death benefits as provided by the provisions of this
                    division.
                    (b) The lower back impairment so developing or manifesting itself
                    in the peace officer shall be presumed to arise out of and in the
                    course of the employment. This presumption is disputable and may be
                    controverted by other evidence, but unless so controverted, the
                    appeals board is bound to find in accordance with it. This
                    presumption shall be extended to a person following termination of
                    service for a period of three calendar months for each full year of
                    the requisite service, but not to exceed 60 months in any
                    circumstance, commencing with the last date actually worked in the
                    specified capacity.
                    (c) For purposes of this section, "duty belt" means a belt used
                    for the purpose of holding a gun, handcuffs, baton, and other items
                    related to law enforcement.
                    Only in California.

Comment

Originally posted by nrneuha
                      Only in California.
                      What can I say? California takes care of its own. Things like low back injuries, cancer, skin cancer, pneumonia, hernia, heart trouble, hypertension, blood-borne illnesses, biochemical induced illnesses, meningitis and lyme disease are all (as a matter of law) presumed to be work related for California peace officers.

Seriously though (for zreed), this law wouldn't have been passed unless there was medical evidence to support the presumption that constant wearing of the duty belt causes back injuries. Keep this in mind if you start developing low back problems.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

[QUOTE=deputy x 2]Some people are fortunate to have a lot of space on their duty belts. [QUOTE]

Fortunate is your nice way to call me fat, huh

And I was wondering why i was having reflux issues. Time to lose a few pounds I hate diets...do they have health food at 7-11?

Comment

When I was in uniform I never had any problems. For my last 1 1/2 yrs I wore bianchi accumold end kept my back pretty clear.

I knew some guys who wore those suspender things. They hooke to your belt with belt keepers...I never had the need and I dont like the way they look...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 209 members and 3925 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X