Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Good diet for overweight D cell flashlights.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good diet for overweight D cell flashlights.

It's these D cell sized AA adaptors by Lenmar pictured with a 4D Maglite.

The AA goes in (+) tip 1st until it "locks" in there.

The (+) buton then pops out and the unit is ready to be used like a normal D cell.

The smaller sized bottom of the AA batteries meant needing to reshape the tailspring some.

In short, these are really cool for "recharging" a whole 4D flashlight in as little as 15 minutes with some brands of AA nimh batteries.
    And for putting a big, monster flashlight on a diet.
    Bedtime at sunrise

Ok, I gotta ask, 3rd Shift... What's the light output of that modded Maglite?
    N. A. Corbier
    Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
    Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Yes, it may be lighter to carry, but you will also reduce the 'swing weight' for ""secondary uses"" of your light. You will also reduce the run time, IIRC.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

I got my Streamlight stinger (Rechargable) as my primary and a 4-D Mag as my secondary.
        Last edited by wolverine652001; 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine652001
          I got my Streamlight stinger (Rechargable) as my primary and a 4-D Mag as my secondary.
          What do you use them for?
          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The weight is what makes it such a good impact weapon.....I mean flashlight.
            "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
              What do you use them for?
              If you are a police officer, you would know what I use them for.

Comment

If you are a police officer, you would know what I use them for.
                I'm not a police officer, and I know what you use them for...

You carry your 4D all the time, or just when interviewing/clearing/interacting with bad people?
                N. A. Corbier
                Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Originally posted by nacorbier

You carry your 4D all the time, or just when interviewing/clearing/interacting with bad people?

I don't carry the 4D on me when on-duty. However, it does sit in the Impala and most times, I use the 4D in foot pursuits, searching through trees, or at accident scenes where I know I will be using the light longer than normal. My streamlight I carry for traffic stops or at gunpoint at night.

Comment

Ok, I gotta ask, 3rd Shift... What's the light output of that modded Maglite?
                    About the same as 4 alkaline D cell batteries.
                    The big difference other than weight is the runtime of around 2 hours instead of 10+ hours.
                    One would have to keep 4 extra AA's on or near him during a shift if doing a lot of foot patrolling with a "company issued" D cell maglite.
                    Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

That would be a waste of money. I'd invest in a rechargable for the price you pay for 2 hours worth of AA batteries.

Comment

Only time I took my magcharger out of its charger was when I was doing building sweeps, traffic control, or dealing with biligerant people. Magchargers hurt more than Stingers, and are already in the hand.

As to 3rd Shift = If your company isn't supplying batteries, buy a rechargable and leave their maglite in the car, or on the post. Its not your flashlight, its theirs, and they'll probally sue you if the light malfunctions in any way (even if your feeding it regular d-cell batteries), because your doing things "beyond their control," or some crap. Like I say on SIW, liability rolls down hill.
                        N. A. Corbier
                        Visiting Commando Leader

Comment

Only time I took my magcharger out of its charger was when I was doing building sweeps, traffic control, or dealing with biligerant people. Magchargers hurt more than Stingers, and are already in the hand.

As to 3rd Shift = If your company isn't supplying batteries, buy a rechargable and leave their maglite in the car, or on the post. Its not your flashlight, its theirs, and they'll probally sue you if the light malfunctions in any way (even if your feeding it regular d-cell batteries), because your doing things "beyond their control," or some crap. Like I say on SIW, liability rolls down hill.
                          A maglite malfunctioning?
                          I have run over 4 amps at 7.5 volts with a 2c cell led and a 2D cell hotwire Maglite.
                          Others have done worse than that to thier maglites on www.candlepowerforums.com
                          No malfunctions to report yet.
                          A security company sueing over a beat up old $20 maglite? LOL!!!
                          Now if one is doing a poor job and on the company's other list, then a threat like that may be presented by the company, but is hard to enforce in reality after attorney and court fees.
                          The building I work security in has several law firms in it.

because your doing things "beyond their control," or some crap. Like I say on SIW, liability rolls down hill.
                          Same is true for company patrol cars whether you put in regular unleaded, or Super Unleaded is it not?
                          Ok, now what do we do about that?

What does one do when a rechargeable runs out of power?
                          My patrol captain was left in the dark for the last half of a 12 hour shift when his Strion ran out of power while doing a post check at my post.
                          He was unable to just pop in more batteries to properly finish his shift with.

That would be a waste of money. I'd invest in a rechargable for the price you pay for 2 hours worth of AA batteries.
                          What brands of rechargeables last more than 2 hours?
                          Last edited by 3rd_shift; 11-05-2005, 05:30 PM.
                          Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

I know perfectly well what flashlights are used for. I was simply asking Wolverine what he personally used the flashlights for.
                            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd_shift
                              What brands of rechargeables last more than 2 hours?
                              If you have a recharging system in the patrol unit, it'll run as long as you want it to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4320 users online. 253 members and 4067 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X