300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuffs........

I don't think I've read this topic on here before, couldn't find it anyway. Is there a general "time frame" that handcuffs should be replaced? I use Hiatts chained, same pair for 7 years (have 2 extra in the car), keep them nice and clean, and always decon them after use. Any ideas on this one?
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

I've had my Hiatt's hinged cuffs for about 10 years. I can't detect any sign of wear on them. I have no plans to replace them. I wouldn't hesitate to pass them on to my children in the unlikely event one of them goes into law enforcement.

My #2 cuffs are the ones issued to me 30 years ago. I wasn't the first guy to carry them and I doubt I'll be the last.

I see some guys "decontaminate" their cuffs with bleach. Other than outright abuse, that's the only thing I'm aware of that would cause a cuff to fail.

Comment

I have a pair of peerless hinged cuffs that I bought 18 years ago, still in great shape. Actually better now than when new. Here's a maintenance tip:
      Boil a pan of water and drop the cuffs in there, along with a few tablespoons of ammonia. After 2 or 3 minutes, remove them ( with tongs) and let them dry. They'll be so hot that the metal will cause the water to dry up quickly. Once you can touch them again, start running the single strand through the ratchet until it practically floats through. Make sure the double lock mechanism works and you'll be good to go. Try to avoid using oil or WD40 since that tends to attract grit.
      Jerry
      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Always sanitize the cuffs after each arrest. Our jail has sterilizing gel for hands I put on my handcuffs after each arrest.

Comment

You use that waterless hand gel stuff on your cuffs? Hmmm...getting ideas...

Comment

If that gel stuff is alcohol based, it should work if you can keep it on there for a bit. Just make sure its not the kind with all that aloe and other skin conditioners, so it dosen't gunk up in your case 2 hours later.

You might try spraying the cuffs with lysol, as well. After all, its metallic, non-porous, and no different than the hospital bed frame they spray down with lysol.
            N. A. Corbier
            Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
            Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Originally posted by nacorbier
              If that gel stuff is alcohol based, it should work if you can keep it on there for a bit. Just make sure its not the kind with all that aloe and other skin conditioners, so it dosen't gunk up in your case 2 hours later.

You might try spraying the cuffs with lysol, as well. After all, its metallic, non-porous, and no different than the hospital bed frame they spray down with lysol.
              I'd like to emphasize this post. If you're using the waterless hand gel, keep it on there for AT LEAST 3-5 minutes. Remember, it's metal, not skin.

Comment

Thanks but you don't see us trying to tell you how to clean a fire hose do you????

Comment

Originally posted by Wilco5o
                  Thanks but you don't see us trying to tell you how to clean a fire hose do you????
                  No. What's your point?

Comment

After I use mine, we have a product in the hospital called Cavi-Wipes. It's a disinfecting wipe that kills everything pretty quickly. We also have Cavicide, which is the spray version. I spray them down with cavicide then wipe them off with the wipes. So far so good, and we get some blood and vomit covered creatures

Comment

still have my 1st pair of S&W cuffs. 27 years on the job, then they seem to have 'fallen off' the records. I think they would be good for 2-3 more careers.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                        I have a pair of peerless hinged cuffs that I bought 18 years ago, still in great shape. Actually better now than when new. Here's a maintenance tip:
                        Boil a pan of water and drop the cuffs in there, along with a few tablespoons of ammonia. After 2 or 3 minutes, remove them ( with tongs) and let them dry. They'll be so hot that the metal will cause the water to dry up quickly. Once you can touch them again, start running the single strand through the ratchet until it practically floats through. Make sure the double lock mechanism works and you'll be good to go. Try to avoid using oil or WD40 since that tends to attract grit.
                        Is that actually how you've maintained your cuffs for the last 18 years? You don't use any lubricants? I'm also in Florida and I'm concerned about my Peerless cuffs rusting in this humidty. If your method has worked for you that long then I will try it.

Phoenix
                        Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5457 users online. 353 members and 5104 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X