300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Numbness from Belt

Has anyone had their leg go numb and a burning in the bend of their leg from the gun belt? I think it is from the belt sitting on my hip bones and possibly pinching a nerve. I've tried rearranging the gear but I'm small and to keep things accessible there's not much movement for things. I have from rt to lt my mag pouch, gun flashlight, (space on my back) radio, esb, taser, oc, double cuff case. The burn is in the top bend of my leg and I think is from damage that is being caused to the nerve.(I had my cell phone in my front pocket on vibrate and could not feel it ring) If this sounds even a little familiar to anyone I'll take any advice!!!

Are you allowed to use a different brand of belt. You might try one of the new synthetic ones that look like leather as they are rounded at the top and bottom and may distribute the pressure over a larger area on you and not pinch the nerve as much. I've also seen some that are padded on the inside, you might check those out.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

You may also want to try a pair of duty-belt suspenders, if they're authorized by your department (or you can hide them under your vest, if your vest is worn over your uniform shirt). A *quality* set of duty suspenders will get the weight of your gunbelt off your hips and distribute it accross your shoulders/back, thus making it a much easier ride.

Comment

Thanx for the responce

We'll our belts are the light weight fake leather...and I read up on nylon but it seemed that those two have equal pros and cons. I'm not sure about the suspenders. I was thinking if I cut small slits in my shirt then they wouldn't be seen? I think I'm going to get the patted under belt...but don't have any feed back on it so I was scared to spend that much money. I just am reluctant to go to the doctors, and hear oh just stop wearing the belt...u know doc's So this was a step I thought I'd take first to see if anyone had experienced the same thing.

Comment

The 2 newest and supposedly best type of belts for this are the Safariland LEVITATIOn [LEVITRON?} belt and the Bianchi ACCUMOLD/ ERGOTEK. The ERGO has the padded foam cells on the inside of the belt. I guess by u saying your small, losing weight isnt an option?? Thats my problem...
          Oh well I like to eat, what....
          I got nothing for now

Comment

I agree with Arresting lady, get it checked out. I use a foam pad similar to the padding inside a football helmet. My chiropractor ordered it for me. I place a piece say 2x3 (on top of my hip bone). It is between my shirt and pants and is held securely by the weight of my holster. If you need the website I can get it for you.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

The nerves running from the spine to the legs are generally buried deep in the pelvis and not where a belt will press on them. They are susceptible to pressure from spasmed muscles and swollen ligaments. See a physician ASAP.

Comment

How about an Accupuncturist who can actually accomplish something w/o wanting to do surgery instead. Back in 03 my pain was so bad I couldn't even touch my legs and a few trips to a very good Accupuncturist and deep tissue massage therapist (same guy btw) and I was good as new. My friend saw the same guy after a Dr told him he needed surgery and he fixed him right up also.

BTW, 2002, I lived in the PacNW for about 13 years, loved every minute of it!!
                "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Platinum

Most definitely go see your doctor!! You might also want to see a 'vascular' doc just to make sure you have no long term problems with the blood vessels found at your groin! The duty belt may have pressed on the blood vessels to your legs and or to your kidneys! Please have that checked out...

Comment

Thank You all

[COLOR=Magenta]I talked to a chiropractor who said that it has a lot to do with weight both me and the belt. He is going to give me a note for several options from nylon gear, a padded under belt and possibly a couple other things he's suggested for other patients. He was unable to thoroughly examine me but he suggested I see a chiropractor (in my area) or what ever I feel comfortable with but at least some one. He knows I don't want to hear

Comment

Loosen belt one notch. And it's probably your pants belt not duty belt causing the pain

Comment

Are you wearing a Male belt? They are making more and more Female belts cut for the female figure which also might help distribute the weight better.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                          How about an Accupuncturist who can actually accomplish something w/o wanting to do surgery instead.
                          To each his own.

I've always taken my back pains to a physician; he's never wanted to do surgery. I get an x-ray and a referral to a physical therapist who stretches and massages me back to into shape. There are doctors who like to cut; I avoid them.

No one should have surgery for a non-life-threatening condition without a second opinion. Sometimes it is the only way to treat pain. One of my co-workers is currently recuperating from back surgery. The doc removed a bone chip that was pressing on a nerve. An accupuncturist couldn't diagnose that. "Deep tissue massage" could have driven that chip right through the nerve.

Comment

I gotta go with you on that one. Out here I see more Dr's wanting to cut w/o looking for an alternative but a bone chip can only be removed by cutting.

Originally posted by Seventy2002
                            No one should have surgery for a non-life-threatening condition without a second opinion. Sometimes it is the only way to treat pain. One of my co-workers is currently recuperating from back surgery. The doc removed a bone chip that was pressing on a nerve. An accupuncturist couldn't diagnose that. "Deep tissue massage" could have driven that chip right through the nerve.

Comment

Might have fixed it!!!

Ok I moved everything on my belt to the front...can you say crowded. It seems to have stopped the numbness and burning that was occurring. I use 3 keepers 2 in the back/sides to keep everything pushed forward and one in front on the left side for my keys. My gun side hangs down, so I look like John Wayne ...but it seems to be working. Thank you all for your concerns and help...I promise that if the pain comes back I will go to a doctor. Be safe out there!!!! Hope I can help you all in the future!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6410 users online. 348 members and 6062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X