300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakley Boots Or 5.11 ??

I am trying to decide between the Oakley SI assault boots and the 5.11 tactical boots. I work in Ohio. ( To give you an idea of the climate)

Anyone that has worn both, your input would be great.

Where I live there is nowhere to try either of them on. I have Danners now, but they are in good shape, and my dept. buys us a new pair every year anyway, so I would like to try something new.

Any input on the sizing of either of these boots would also be helpful.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Are you absolutely dead set on one of those two brands? If you are not, I would reccommend Rockys. I have worn this brand since I started, and I would never go to anything else.

BTW, I wore Bates for a week or two, and kicked myself for not buying Rockys!
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

I haven't worn the Oakleys (yet), but the 5.11's are AWESOME. I keep hearing from Mil guys that the Oakleys don't hold up quite as well as one would expect. The soles wear out quickly on hard concrete and quality is hit and miss if you get the ones made overseas.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

JEEPER-

Are the 5.11's waterproof? Do you have the $80.00 pair or the $160.00 pair? How do the sizes run?

John Wayne

Comment

I've got the 6" ATAC's. I HATE zippers on my boots so I didn't buy the 8" version. The HRT's (for me) appear to have a bit much in trick features. I've yet to get them into a big deep puddle, not sure about the waterproofness.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Jeeper is 100% correct. Another officer on my team has Oakleys and not only were they very expensive, they lasted about 4 months. I have the ATAC 511's which are not waterproof; they are very comfortable and a great summer/fall boot. I have the waterproof HRT's ready to go for winter and have heard nothing but good things about them.
            It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

Ditto another vote on the 5.11s. I have the 8" ATACs and they are incredible. pretty light, shine up well, keep you pretty warm & dry and chasing mopes has not been an issue. It was also my first pair of zip ups and I am not going back to a non zip pair.

Best bang for the buck all around. I have hear wear on the Oaks is an issue, and I cant see spending the extra cash for the Oakley name.. 5.11 seems to be going everything they make well....

Try expresspolicesupply.com for good prices/fast shipping. I like them people!
              And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Originally posted by SIGman1
                Are you absolutely dead set on one of those two brands? If you are not, I would reccommend Rockys. I have worn this brand since I started, and I would never go to anything else.

BTW, I wore Bates for a week or two, and kicked myself for not buying Rockys!

Extra note. I started off with the Rocky911s which are very light, but found the ATAC8s very comparable, and with better shione & more cushioning. Not sure which kind SIGman1 is using on the Rocks.
                And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I have decided on the 5.11 HRT's . I wear a size 10 in Danner's, what size do you presume I will wear in the 5.11's? With shipping costs, I would like to get this right the 1st time? Thanks again for all the input

John Wayne

Comment

I wear the 5.11 HRT's and love them. If you use the 5.11 insole with them they feel like athletic shoes. They are light weight and waterproof. My only complaint is they are not very breathable so I would def recommend letting them air out each night and a good foot powder in the hot months. They have an anti bacterial liner that is suppose to help with this, but I will only wear these boots from now on. I wear a 9 in Danner and the same for 5.11 so I would think the 10 is the way to go for you. I also have a narrow foot but the insoles takes care of this problem as well. On a side note I would also recommend the 5.11 socks. Hope this helps you out with your decision and the best of luck to you.
                    A society that makes war with its police had better learn to to make friends with its criminals.

Glock 22 (Issued)
                    Kimber TLE-RL II (SRT)
                    Colt LEO AR-15 (Patrol and SRT)

Comment

JGLAD82PD-

Thank you very much for the input on sizing. I am ordering them today. The website I am ordering them from gives you 3 free pairs of the 5.11 socks, so I am all set there. Thanks again.....NPD21

John Wayne

Comment

I maybe a bit late on this but here is my two bits. - I have worn all kinds of boots (Magnums, Rocky's, Bates, Thoregoods, and now 5.11's) in my career. I used the Oaks for awhile (about 2 months) because I liked the design. I ended up switching back to my Rocky Alpha's (The first edition), the Oaks just didn't add up to be worth the price. As others have said you are mostly paying for the name - if it was the same design but made by Magnum they would retail about 60 to 80 - not the 250.00.

I have the 8'' ATAC 5.11's with the side zipper and I couldn't be happier. These are well designed - comfy (after the initial break in period) and I do not forsee me ever going back to non-zip boots again.

I didn't try the HTC's when I went to Streicher's (http://www.streichers.com) law enforcement supply store (oh so many toys - so little time) - but that is because I wasn't really in the mood to spend $125.00 for them.

You should be pretty happy with your boots....but note - there is a 2-3 8-hour shifts needed to break them in.

Comment

NPD21-

Might I suggest finding a 5.11 distributor in your area and trying some pairs on before you order online? I have weird feet and wouldn't dare order boots online without trying them on first.
                          *Not a cop*

Comment

I bought a pair of 5.11 8" ATAC boots, and I concur that they are a great boot. I personally like the side-zip. They're light, comfortable, and not a problem for running if you've gotta chase someone.

I also really like the 5.11 socks. They do an awesome job of wicking the moisture away. My one complaint is that perhaps they wick it away too well. I've found that if you work a night were your feet sweat really bad, the stink will stay in the sock even after you've washed it. I'd try just washing them by themselves, but I'm a starving college student and don't want to spend $1.25 to wash and dry three pairs of socks.
                            Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                            Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Well let me be the first to disagree about the Oakleys. I have had mine for about a year now. First off I got them off ebay for about 160 brand new so I saved a little there. I have wore them every duty day since I got them so they have been through a lot. I bought them for the comfort anyway and went into it hoping that they just lasted a year and they did. Definately the most comfortable boot I have ever put on. Feels like a tennis shoe. The only things that I do not like about them are that they are not waterproof and you can't really get them to shine. Depending on the department you work for, they might not let you wear them. They have a thin piece of rubber around the front of the boot on top for protection and on the back heel but I can see where some departments might not like the look. Like I have said I have wore them everyday and noone at my department ever said anything. A little piece of the sole on the right boot just started coming away from the boot about 2 weeks ago but I would expect that with what these boots have been through. I am now looking at getting another pair or possibly trying out the Danner Striker 8" with the zippers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2776 users online. 156 members and 2620 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X