300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways to Spruce up Duty Gear

I work in a relatively small department and most of my gear has been previously issued. Most likley several officers have worn this gear.
    My question is how do you guys maintain heavily used gear in the best appearance possible. I am especially wondering about fixing up scratched and worn silver snaps and buckles. All duty belt gear is leather, basketweave.
    Thanx.
    Dave

Just a thought.

Could you buy black engine paint (withstands high heat and is a matte finish) and just paint the buckles and snaps? That way they would blend in instead of being reflective.

Comment

Dave,
      Not sure if the facilities are near you but, for snaps and buckels many leather shops can change them out for you at a reasonable price. In the past I had all my leather gear switched from shiny snaps to all black. I had it done at a local "cop shop", and it was like $.30 a snap. No biggie. I would suggest asking around the local cop shops. As for the scratches, not seeing them I'll shoot in the blind, for minor stuff you can get a pumice stone or wet dry sand paper and break it down gently (using more fine grit as you go). Once it's down and smoothed out, use a good leather dye, then work polish or what ever liquid "polish" (leather luster) you choose to use. Basket weave is tough cause of the nooks but it may help them look better.

PS: Make sure it dries well, you don't want it to rub off on your shirts

Comment

Pumice stone?
        I don't have experience with this, but somehow I picture that making the scratches worse.
        Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Ya know what I'd do....raise he!! with the admin until they break down and buy me new stuff

Another option would be to buy your own stuff. Leather gear can go bad, ya know.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper
            Ya know what I'd do....raise he!! with the admin until they break down and buy me new stuff

Another option would be to buy your own stuff. Leather gear can go bad, ya know.
            Stuff is cowhide. You can pumice stone leather gear, then dye it black with proper leather dye. Personally, I'd get out the dremel tool, put on a fine grit sandpaper, set it on low, and work the scratches out, then get a big bucket, fill it with RIT dye in black, and do your own drum vat dying.
            N. A. Corbier
            Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
            Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2616 users online. 136 members and 2480 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X