X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rugermk2
    North Idaho Nut
    • Apr 2005

Handcuff recommendations?

Recently hired to a dept that issues everything but boots, batons, and cuffs. I've seen posts on here regarding the former two, but not the cuffs. What do ya'll prefer and why?

Thanks,
    Brandon
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
    -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    -- Hemingway
  • Centurion44
    Charges-Like-Rhino
    • Mar 2005

Peerless. The diameter of the cuff is bigger and the double lock mechanism is on the side. Hiatts are good but they have a smaller diameter.

S&W imo makes a crappy cuff. The double locks are more difficult to deal with and I had a big friend of mine test my hinged S&W cuffs- he was bending them before I told him to stop before they broke.

There's also a new company making titianium cuffs (American, I think). I have a pair of chained cuffs- no complaints about them so far.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

• britishcop
      Forum Member
      • May 2005

British police are equipped with these

Military clothing, footwear, combat gear and genuine British Army surplus from our Manchester-based online shop trading since 2000. Free UK delivery on all orders, 60 day returns policy and same day dispatch for orders before 2pm.

very good piece of kit

Comment

• Java King
        Heyyyy, What's up there!
        • Apr 2005

I use Hiatts & refuse to use anything else. I like the pre-load feature they have. I've used them enough times cuffing combative patients to the hospital cart & they haven't failed me yet.
        That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

• pkagel
          SoCal Expatriate
          • Jun 2004

American was bought by ASP and they discontinued the aluminum cuffs. I have a set, very nice. I also have a set of Hiatts lightweights, they are a larger diameter than standard and also very nice.

Originally posted by Centurion44
          There's also a new company making titianium cuffs (American, I think). I have a pair of chained cuffs- no complaints about them so far.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

• 72na55
            • Apr 2005

cuffs

I have used them all. Hinged cuffs should be used for transport only. Hiatt's are good, Peerless ok, Smith and Wessons are very good. My choice is the new ASP cuff. Little larger cuff, load easy and haven't had a problem with larger suspects hooking up. I use ASP exclusively for instruction (DT classes) and highly recommend the ASP. Key holes on both sides, double lock feature easy to see. Make sure you get the new ones (yellow indicator for double lock) as the old style could be picked (red indicator). You can find them at Galls....takes about 3 months to get them. (back orders).
            Last edited by 72na55; 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM. Reason: cuz

Comment

• Sleuth
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2002

I used S&W & Hiatts, liked the Hiatts linked cuffs for the extra leverage when the outlaw started to resist.
              I also carried leg irons, because the lockup was sometimes 100 miles from where I arrested them. I used a belly chain, chain cuffs, and the leg irons. Got them all seat belted in, and told them flat out I would not fight with them - as I moved my handgun to my left side.
              No one got froggy with me after that.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

• ccthompsfs
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2005

Shoot I have used, cheap GALLS cuffs, smiths, peerless, and ASP. I love my peerless 500, light lube and they run for a long time. Used the ASP and love em, however ya gotta have special cases for em though since they are a bit thicker than regular cuffs. Don't care for the smiths cause of their double lock mechanism. I carry 2 of the peerless 500 and the ASP set and are extremely satisfied.
                Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

• Eddie C.
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2005

Depends On What Your Department Wants.

My old department in Arizona didn't care but my current dept here in South Florida only wants S&W cuffs.My old Pearless Hinged sit in my nightstand collecting dust.

Comment

• plnkownr87349
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2004

back when I was in the Coast Guard.....S&W required alot of maintance (everyday) they were allways rusting.... I switched to the Peerless and as long as I clean then up when they got really wet they are good to go..... not to mention the double lock is on the side of the Peerless

Comment

• Resq14
                      RIP Seann1
                      • Oct 2002

2 sets of ASP cuffs (new yellow locksets) on my belt.
                      All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

• mosetti
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by britishcop
                        British police are equipped with these

Military clothing, footwear, combat gear and genuine British Army surplus from our Manchester-based online shop trading since 2000. Free UK delivery on all orders, 60 day returns policy and same day dispatch for orders before 2pm.

very good piece of kit
                        I used these when I did an exchage with an RMP unit (only 2 weeks, but it was fun) and they are great. Probably the best cuffs I have ever used. Unfortunately my department will only let us carry Peerless. They are good, but I would like them better if they were hinged.
                        No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

• ArcLight
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2005

Peerless, 2 sets on my belt (double cuff case). One set of 700s (chain) and one set of 801s (hinged).
                          "... They think I'm crazy... But I know better... It is not I who am crazy... It is I who am MAD!... Didn't you hear 'em? Didn't you see the crowds?!! Oh my beloved ice cream bar... How I love to lick your creamy center... And your oh-so-nutty chocolate covering... You're not like the others... You like the same things I do... Wax paper... Boiled football leather... Dog breath... WE'RE NOT HITCHHIKING ANYMORE... WE'RE RIDING...

--Ren Hoek, Space Madness

Comment

• jeeper
                            Forum Member
                            • Nov 2001

I've had good luck with these nice ones lined with leopard print fur.

Ohhhh, you mean for work? In that case, its Peerless all the way. S&W cuffs can double lock themselves if banged hard against something. A WSP Trooper was shot years ago because his cuffs double locked while fighting with a guy on meth. He wasn't able to get the guy cuffed up, ultimately losing his gun in the fight.

Hiatts are too small for my hands. Feels quite weird to try to use them with their small mechanism in my big hands.

The ASP cuffs (new locks) seem interesting, but I'm not gonna spend the money quite yet. I have four sets of Peerless cuffs layin around. I would REALLY love to get a pair of the American aluminum cuffs for off duty carry though.
                            Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

• AirmanE3
                              Air Force Cop
                              • Jul 2005

Cuffs

The Air Force issued me Smith and Wesson cuffs... I still have them but keep them on my green gear (Security gear). I plan to buy my own pair to keep on my black gear (LE gear).
                              -SrA J Hughes
                              United States Air Force
                              Security Forces Patrolman
                              -Defensor Fortis-

-AMU Student: BA Criminal Justice

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18699 users online. 41 members and 18658 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...