300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holsters

What exactly does it mean when a holster is labeled double or triple retention? How do these function? For the record, I know absolutely nothing about firearms and holsters.

Each level of retention that the holster has means one more way of securing the firearm in the holster. Most Level 1 holsters just have a thumbsnap - one security device. Level 2's usually have a thumbsnap, and a trigger guard pinch device. Other retention devices include middle finger releases, ejection port locks, rotating hoods, and a few others.

Comment

In a nutshell, it is the number of moves an officer has to make to draw the weapon. Rotating hoods are level 2, ie, push down on the hood and rotate forward to draw.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The higher the level, the more secure the holster. While I feel comfortable with a level 2, there are agencies that mandate a level 3. I would not recommend a level 1 for everyday carry. Regardless of the retention rating, practice proper weapon retention tactics, and remember that when you are a cop, every encounter you have on-duty is an armed encounter: You bring the gun.
        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

As been stated before, the higher the number, the better the retention. My department issues a Level 3. I personally recommend it. It's the Safariland Triple Retention Holster. It has a top snap, a snap by the trigger, and an inside retention device. It takes getting used to and it's hell to break in, but after that it's easy to draw. The best part is if a suspect tries to grab your gun, it's almost impossible for him to pull it out. I feel much more secure knowing my gun is securely in it's holster because of 3 retention devices.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4971 users online. 318 members and 4653 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X