NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Anyone using or have any experience with buckle-less duty belts?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMTFirefighter
    • Mar 2004

Anyone using or have any experience with buckle-less duty belts?

An agency I used to live near (upstate NY) used these type of belts and they always looked pretty neat, I think the buckle is stupid. I'm just wondering if they're any good and how exactly they work?

Both the inner and outer belts are lined with Velcro and the Gall's catalog says they "interlock" but I don't see how that's possible if they both have Velcro on the inside...

Any help's appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by EMTFirefighter; 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM.
  • L-1
    • Jun 2004

They work fine. At one end of the belt you will find velcro hooks on the back. On the other end of the belt you will find velcro catch (the cotton like matrial) one the front. The velcro material is in a limited area at each end of the belt in order to keep it hidden from view.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Knoodelhed
      Private security guard
      • Jul 2005

In that type of arrangement, the outside of the inner belt is made out of the soft part of velcro, and the inside of the outer belt is of the prickly part.

Comment

• EMTFirefighter
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Knoodelhed
        In that type of arrangement, the outside of the inner belt is made out of the soft part of velcro, and the inside of the outer belt is of the prickly part.
        This is the inner belt: http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=LP302

It looks like the velco is on the inside...

Comment

• Bodie
          No Longer Active
          • Feb 2004

They have used them here for years and they work fine.

Comment

• 72na55
            • Apr 2005

belts

As a DT instructor I encourage officers to refrain from buckleless belts. Reason is that velcro and hooks are not as strong as buckles and keepers. When it comes to weapon retention this is critical. I have used them in training and shown that they do not hold as well as the alternative. I would stay with the buckled belt (even if plastic safariland style) with the belt keepers. Couple this with a double or triple retention holster and you have a better chance of keeping your gear where it belongs........on you, even when ground fighting. Just my 2cents worth.

Comment

• EMTFirefighter
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by 72na55
              As a DT instructor I encourage officers to refrain from buckleless belts. Reason is that velcro and hooks are not as strong as buckles and keepers. When it comes to weapon retention this is critical. I have used them in training and shown that they do not hold as well as the alternative. I would stay with the buckled belt (even if plastic safariland style) with the belt keepers. Couple this with a double or triple retention holster and you have a better chance of keeping your gear where it belongs........on you, even when ground fighting. Just my 2cents worth.
              I was planning on using keepers anyway, to keep it extra steady (especially around the area of the holster). You'd still stay away?

Comment

• 72na55
                • Apr 2005

keepers

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                I was planning on using keepers anyway, to keep it extra steady (especially around the area of the holster). You'd still stay away?
                The keepers definitely help. I have found that over time the buckleless belts wear out quicker and are not as secure a year down the road. Especially as you grow older and wider

I like the buckle and some guys don't. From a safety standpoint I say this:

If I can have the ultimate why settle for less. Good point though. The keepers would do the job.

Comment

• EMTFirefighter
                  • Mar 2004

If I can have the ultimate why settle for less. Good point though. The keepers would do the job.
                  Well, thanks for the info. I just hate the aesthetics of the buckle belt, too "barney fife" for me... LOL

Comment

• 72na55
                    • Apr 2005

Barney

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                    Well, thanks for the info. I just hate the aesthetics of the buckle belt, too "barney fife" for me... LOL
                    I'm not talking about the silver Santa Claus looking buckle. I don't want SILVER shining on me ANYWHERE. I'm talking about BLACK plastic that matches the belt and gear. Its comfortable and doesn't poke me when I sit down. I wouldn't give you 1 cent for the silver buckled gear belts. Safariland makes a great belt (see galls.com) in a black plastic buckle or connector (not really a buckle) that I wear. It is perfect for all aspects. Comfort and safety being paramount. The connector is like those on a back pack. Doesn't stick out, looks good and feels good.
                    Last edited by 72na55; 07-17-2005, 06:14 PM. Reason: cuz

Comment

• jeeper
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2001

Bianchi's new triple retention "buckle" is AWESOME. I also don't like the stupid Santa Claus looking belt and really don't like the aesthetics of the buckle-less belts. Uncle Mike's also makes a nice triple retention buckle for their gear.
                      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

• 72na55
                        • Apr 2005

Uncle Mike's

Originally posted by jeeper
                        Bianchi's new triple retention "buckle" is AWESOME. I also don't like the stupid Santa Claus looking belt and really don't like the aesthetics of the buckle-less belts. Uncle Mike's also makes a nice triple retention buckle for their gear.

The belt I wear is an Uncle Mike's Mirage....had to get naked to see the inside of the belt for the brand last night.

Comment

• EMTFirefighter
                          • Mar 2004

I'm not talking about the silver Santa Claus looking buckle. I don't want SILVER shining on me ANYWHERE. I'm talking about BLACK plastic that matches the belt and gear. Its comfortable and doesn't poke me when I sit down. I wouldn't give you 1 cent for the silver buckled gear belts. Safariland makes a great belt (see galls.com) in a black plastic buckle or connector (not really a buckle) that I wear. It is perfect for all aspects. Comfort and safety being paramount. The connector is like those on a back pack. Doesn't stick out, looks good and feels good.
                          That's why I want to go with the buckleless leather. I can't stand nylon (or imitation leather) and that's the only style of belt you can get the plastic buckle in, AFAIK.

Comment

• EMTFirefighter
                            • Mar 2004

Our department only buys us the leather belts with the silver buckle (gold if you're a sergeant or above), so I'll wear that in the academy but ditch it for the buckleless leather on day 1 of FTO.

Thanks for the input folks.

Comment

• redneck41
                              Zookeeper
                              • Apr 2005

I wear basketweave leather, actually Bianchi Accumold Elite. All of my gear is "hidden snap", so there is no chrome on the belt at all. The buckle is the standard type found on most leather duty belts, but mine is finished in black instead of chrome. I'll have to look for the web page I found it on for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17173 users online. 20 members and 17153 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...