300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taser..cross draw vs. Thigh holster

Anyone have opions or done research on this? We are looking at getting Tasers at my agency. I am trying to swing the Chief for thigh holsters on the weak side but I think he is trying for cross draw with strong side. I have found some cons on the web for the cross draw as far as arm pins, inablility to transition for lethal, etc.....any other things out there to help me out?
    Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Thigh holsters are a lot more annoying than you may think- especially if you're going to wear them a whole shift. For a taser, esp the X-26, I would go with a cross draw.

As for retention, if someone pins your arm just move it in a circle. If the subject is your height or taller, move your arm down and away. If they are shorter, up and away. If the perp manages to get that close to you anyway, they attempt to pin your arm no matter where the taser is on your body.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Callahan
      Anyone have opions or done research on this? We are looking at getting Tasers at my agency. I am trying to swing the Chief for thigh holsters on the weak side but I think he is trying for cross draw with strong side. I have found some cons on the web for the cross draw as far as arm pins, inablility to transition for lethal, etc.....any other things out there to help me out?
      Why don't you give the choice to the individual officer?
      *Not a cop*

Comment

My department has no official requirement for how they are to be carried. The X's seem to all be carried crossdraw, the M's all seem to be carried in thigh holsters.

A friend's department requires Blade-Tech crossdraws while a neighboring department uses a mixture of Blackhawk thigh and chest mounted shoulder holsters. Personally, I'd prefer the shoulder system if I could get it approved.
        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
          How about weak/support side regular draw. You should be able to draw and fire left handed from 21ft. Then your strong side is free to transition to lethal if needed. Less likely to draw your firearm when you meant to draw your taser. Especially if by thigh holster, you mean strong side thigh holster. I strongly recommend against that. If you want a thigh holster to look cool, get a weak side one.
          I actually use the weak hand draw. Not only is it more comfortable than a cross draw, but it frees up your strong hand for other tasks.
          Last edited by SWATcop; 07-19-2005, 01:26 PM.
          If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
            I actually use the weak hand draw. Not only is it more comfortable than a weak hand draw, but it frees up your strong hand for other tasks.
            +1 on this idea...
            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

taser

I agree with GoGo Gadget and Swatcop. That his how I wear mine.

Comment

I wear one daily and deploy it from the weak side as well. I currently use the thigh holster but cant say that I like it. It is the only approved holster for now. I find that it is somewhat cumbersome when on patrol with most of the time spent getting in and out of a vehicle. I have heard that the plastic belt holster that comes with it is unreliable and breaks eaisly, which is why we cant use it. Blade tech has one that I was thinking of trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by JUSTACOPII
                  I have heard that the plastic belt holster that comes with it is unreliable and breaks eaisly, which is why we cant use it. Blade tech has one that I was thinking of trying out.
                  I've broken one while operating the retention lever. Seems like it broke entirely too easy.

That Bladetech holster looks great.

-B.

Comment

Not everyone is going to be able to fit a crossdraw taser on their duty belt. Most will, however, be able to wear a thigh holster, especially is the holster is attached by a snap link rather than a fastex buckle.

That said, I would give people the option of crossdraw on the belt as long as they don't remove any required equipment.

Most of our tasers are M-26's worn in Richard Cowell Company thigh holsters. We mandate support side carry, but give the option of straight draw or cross draw. I personally prefer a straight draw.
                    John from Maryland

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4260 users online. 249 members and 4011 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X