Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    It has finally happened tonight as it does a few times a year.
    I had a flashlight quit far too soon while checking to make sure the building was ok.
    It was my 2c cell maglite modded with 4 3 watt (300 lumens) leds running on 2 3.7 volt lithium ion batteries.
    It should have made it a whole hour, but started dimming after just 5 minutes THIS time.
    Looks like one of the $5 Chinese lithium ion laptop type batteries is already croaking after just 15 recharges.
    I finished with a teeny little, 3 watt led, single rechargeable r123 light that normally rides forgotten about on my belt, but it worked and did the job.
    The 2c was in my back pocket the rest of the way down the floors.
    Last edited by 3rd_shift; 08-17-2005, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AmericanMan
    replied
    Galls and QM have a few good deals for mini-mags with a holder.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    I also have a hand-held rechargable spot light (a great buy). You can get the rechargable spots at Home Depot for 15 - 25 dollars. Its real handy for long building / wooded area searches.
    I used one of those Husky brand lights for quite a while.
    It was nice to be able to charge it from a wall, or use it/charge it at the same time in the car.
    I have had to work security at some pretty rotten places that I would have wanted to leave had it not been for that sla husky spotlight.
    I eventually sold it for $10 after I had it for 2 years to another guard who had just started and had NO flashlight at all.

Leave a comment:

• will3516
    replied
    good place for Mag-lite & accessories

Just a suggestion for those of you looking to buy a rechargable Mag.

If you look on Ebay they have all sorts of used and new ones. If you look around you can find good deals. Plus there are REALLY cheap batteries and bulbs.

If you are hard pressed for cash, a used one wont be a bad buy. Ive had mine for 11 years and have only bought batteries and bulbs every once in a while. You can't go wrong with the rechargable Mag.

NEVER work midnights without a dependable flashlight. I work permanant mids in da' hood.- and I love it. But I carry a Stinger, a recharg. mag, and I also have a hand-held rechargable spot light (a great buy). You can get the rechargable spots at Home Depot for 15 - 25 dollars. Its real handy for long building / wooded area searches.

But Im anal when it comes to flashlights/

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    It does, thanks. Now if the flashlight companies would use one or the other...

Leave a comment:

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    candlepower versus lumens

Candlepower has to do with how bright a spot of light something can make.
    For example;
    How good is the reflector and bulb matched for tightness and brightness of the beam.

Lumens is the measurement of the total light emitted, for example;
    When the flashlight's head is removed.

A laser is a good example of very high candlepower with minimal total lumen output.

An F40 flourescent tube puts out plenty of lumens, but with a really low candlepower rating due to minimal focus at best.

I hope this all helped.

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    Someone mentioned a while back in this thread that the Surefire G2 was a "Best bang for your buck" deal. I found one on Ebay for $33 shipping and all. But I also found a Streamlight NightFighter (NF-2) for just less than $50, on Ebay and an online store.

Both lights are new. The NF-2 says its got 100 lumens, VS. the G2's 65 lumens. Is the 35 extra lumens worth the extra 20 bucks? And I haven't heard anyone mention the NF-2, should that tell me something? I'm on a budget and pretty much have my choice narrowed to these two lights, just having trouble making up my mind.

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    What is the approximate conversion from Candlepower to Lumens? I'm shopping for a new light and the different notations are a pain. I'm looking at a Streamlight Scorpion, the Streamlight website says 7900 Candlepower, and the Galls catalog says 100 lumens. I thought 7900 CP would be closer to around 65-70 lumens.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    3rd shift, I'll check those things out and get back to you.

It's pretty impressive - looks like a 3 cell on steroids!

Her:"Why is your flashlight so big?"
    Me: "Genetics!"

Leave a comment:

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    Can you describe in better detail about your light?
    Is the reflector plastic, or metal?
    What is the bulb socket assembly made out of?

The more info, the more fun we just might be able to have with that much battery power.

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Thanks, I thought you might know. We do have a Home depot in town, so I'll try there first. This is less of a working tool than a conversation piece. Kind of a "size does matter" thing.

Leave a comment:

• black bear 84
    replied
    Carley lamps have the #717 that is made for 7 cells and can be safely overdrive with 8.
    You could also try to find in Home Depot one of the tools lights bulbs, but the beam will be poor as those tool bulbs have a very sloppy filament.

black bear 84

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Since we have so many light-knowledgeable folks here, I do have a small (pun intended) light problem. The owner of Kel Light (the folks who started it all), Norm Nelson, gave me a 12V (8 cell) Kel Light, one of a special order for a company. He even engraved my name on it. It's the size of (and useful for) a softball bat.
    My problem is I cannot find a 12V flashlight bulb - the original burned out.

Anyone have any ideas? It's kind of fun to pull this monster out when someone asks for a light.

(BTW, the light was originally made for an aircraft manufacturing company. They put a low power radio in the back end, so security had a light, radio, and bat all in one package.)

Leave a comment:

• hapc
    replied
    I had no idea, it may be time to dust off the old SureFires. I'm still keeping the Strion on my belt.

Leave a comment:

• hapc
    replied
    The only spares carrier I have seen is for the batteries. The SureFires I have (8X, 9N, 6R) have the bulb and reflector as one piece. I like the Streamlights ability to hold a spare bulb in the tailcap, easily replaced in the field.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4412 users online. 252 members and 4160 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X