Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a rechargeable light that will hold a charge for a long time, either while sitting in the car or on your belt, as well as while being used, look at replacing your alkaline or lithium disposables, or your NiCd or NiMH rechargeables, with lithium-ion rechargeables.

I have both Pila 150A and blank labelled equivalent sized li-ion rechargeable cells that I use in my Pila GL3R and 3 C Mag and both brands work very well. The modified-to-use-li-ion Mag is almost as bright, lighter and cheaper, than a Magcharger, without my having to buy another light, and can always be changed back (if I want it to be heavier and duller!)
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

The Best

Streamlight is by far the best in rechargeable Flashlights!

You can View Complete Specs At my website www.midwestpolicesupply.com

Good Luck

Comment

I'm partial to Streamlights myself. I've carried a Stinger on my belt for 10 years with no problems. It weighs nothing, is rechargable and bright. It is also cheaper than comparable Surefires.

Comment

I have a VERY strong preference for Surefire lights and MagChargers.

My setup is this: a mag charger in every squad in our fleet and at every duty station at work. A Surefire Z3 on my duty belt. A Surefire X200 on my Glock 17. And a Surefire E2 in my back pants pocket. I also have a Surefire on my M4, soon to be replaced with a Larue Battlelight.

Imho, like others have said, a 5hr run time for an LE flashlight is totally not necessary. If you need that time you are using it too much. My E2 is rated at 1hr of continuous run. I've been carrying it as a second light everyday for nearly 3 years. I'm on my fifth pair of batteries and the light is used daily. The batteries in my X200 are replaced every 3months, whether they need to be or not.

Most any Surefire 2 or 3 battery light is ideal for duty belt carry. A Streamlight Stinger or Strion would also be good, though I don't like their beam quality at all. If your agency doesn't have a big rechargeable in every car, you might want to consider getting a big light such as that and plugging it into the lighter outlet when you go on duty.

I also STRONGLY agree with augmenting your lighting options with a light on every weapon you use.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I have a Streamlight Strion on my belt at all times. The thing is smaller than the popular Stinger and almost as bright. When I work overnights, I complement my Strion with one of the large Streamlights provided by my department (I believe they are called SX-20s.)

Not the best setup, but it does the job just fine and is a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives.

Comment

I have had the very good fortune of being able to test out a Gladius - between it and my Pila GL3R I have had some real light power to play with.

If you like having the option of low-power LED and high power incandescent in one light, and can afford it, the Pila GL3R is a very good choice. If yoiu want to go to an LED-only light, but need it to be bright, and can afford to move up into that price range, then go for the Gladius.

Both of the above lights will give you the great advantage of always having a high quality light on your duty belt, yet it won't be slapping at your leg when you take off after someone. Just remember - these are NOT lights you toss at a fleeing vehicle or someone running from you, as they are TOO expensive for such nonsense!
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

I have a Mag-Lite rechargeable as my main flashlight, and a Streamlight Stinger on my belt as a backup. I originally had a crappy "Mini-Mag" penlite as my backup, but when I got on the Mounted Unit (horses), I could no longer carry the Big Kahuna Mag-Lite, so I got the Stinger as my main light.

Now that I'm back in Patrol, the Stinger is relegated to backup status, but it's served me very well. Just remember to discharge & recharge every few months, and change the battery every 3-4 years. One of the things I like about the Stinger is that the beam will get noticeably dimmer after a full charge (but still very useable) when the battery is nearing the end of its life, which is the message to get a new one. I just bought a new battery, $33.60 with tax (tax-deductible).
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

jeeper, sounds like a good idea about mounting a lighting tool on all sidearms, but just one question - is that chunk of metal on my hip actually supposed to ever leave its holster?

Don't get me wrong, mine DOES - however, other than a total of maybe 6 times (between my old S&W 10, the current S&W 5946 and even the shotgun) operationally (not counting wounded animals to destroy, NEVER used to shoot at a living object), it would be more like another holder for another light!
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

Pete,

This might be a bit different because of your location (docile Canucks ) don't need guns pointed at them as often. I find the light excellent for searching. Also, when taking someone at gun point the bright light shining in their face creates a disfunction and distraction. I've also found that in very dark times, I can draw and activate the light (remote pressure pad). At distances less than 7yards or so, I can use the center beam of the light as an improvised aiming point. This will be even more effective when I get the remote switch for my X200.
                    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
                      Do you search buildings when responding to burglary reports or alarms? If so, do you have your pistol in your holster or in your hand? Mine is in my hand at the ready.
                      Most alarms that I have ever gone to, and I have responded to a lot, have been completely false. I have, however, responded to bank/credit union alarms with the pistol out at the ready. And we do NOT do the pistol-out-at-the-ready for vehicle stops - I **KNOW** they are an unknown risk, but only a very, VERY small percentage have EVER been violent around here, or anywhere that I have been posted.

I did do a lone, at-night, take-down of 1 known-to-be-stolen plus 1 later-found-to-be-stolen vehicles with 1 occupant per vehicle with my pistol drawn. As it turned out, the vehicle closest to me had a pellet pistol on the passenger seat. Had the "client" come out with it in his hand, I would have been more than justified in firing at him. THAT was **way** too close for comfort!
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

I can give a valid example where I needed a light that would last 5 or more hours. When I was working with our tracker team, a track might take all night, and NVGs don't show the tracks the way a light does. This was the place for a good light with replaceable batteries. The agency was paying, so we just wore them out and threw them away.
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

I never go to a security post with less than 2 flashlights.
                          I never know for sure what awaits me there.
                          Might be a power outage, might have one light develope a problem.

I often actually have 3 (out of over 50 in my collection ) with me.
                          All with rechargeable nimh, or Lithium ion batteries I can swap in as I need them during my shift.
                          Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Hey Samuel, I thought you looked familiar.
                            I'm glad to hear that the lights I modded for you are working well.
                            I'm taking a little break from cpf for a bit until they get thier upgrade done.
                            But, I'll be over here from time to time regardless.
                            Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

3rd Shift.....what do your mods consist of, and what are the prices?
                              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                                3rd Shift.....what do your mods consist of, and what are the prices?
                                This link might shed some light on what I can do.

http://idleprocess.net/reviews/

Most of the lights were developed out of a need to spot trouble far enough away to call 911 and get the police on the way.
                                The bigger the flashlight, the less trouble I had at my assigned security posts, is what it usually has come down to.

Edit:
                                What size light would you like?
                                I also make sizes and configurations not mentioned in the reviews yet.
                                Last edited by 3rd_shift; 07-19-2005, 12:17 AM.
                                Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5450 users online. 331 members and 5119 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X