300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup flashlight

I am graduating from the academy in 2 weeks, and will be working midnights. As you can guess, 1 flashlight will in no way be enough. Any ideas on which one (or two) I should buy? Which ones do you own? I am think more along the lines of a rechargable with a car charger availability. My primary will be a maglite (big surprise).

I would recommend the Streamlight Strion if you already have a primary flashlight. REALLY small and REALLY bright.Streamlight Strion

Comment

I have been using Surefire G2 nitrolon, and I can recommend it.
      http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main....878&sesent=0,0

It is very bright and it

Comment

I will also recommend the Strion for a small rechargeable light that will save you a lot of money in batteries.

Surefire G-2 6-P C-2 Z-2 and others using the P-61 lamp will exhaust your batteries in one hour, the Strion will recharge hundred of times for free.

I am big in rechargeable flashlights, if you plan to make your primary a Maglite, then the Magcharger comes with the charger and the connection for your car also. The Magcharger will provide you with 174 lumens, almost triple the lumens of the Surefires that use the P-61 lamp.

Now if 174 lumens are not enough for you, and you have a hankering for the most powerful flashlight in the world and you have been casting your eyes toward the Surefire M-6 or the Surefire 10X Dominator with their 500 lumens and their big price tags, I have an alternative for you.

It is the most powerful flashlight in the world (except for some HID jobs in the $3000.00 range)
        It is based on the Maglite 3 "D" and is rechargeable it uses a super-bulb not available in any other light and some special Nimhs high current batteries as the power source. It will cost you much less than half than the big Surefires cost and it output 951 lumens
        You can see it right here in the classifieds, here is the link:
        http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30763

You are right in that rechargeables are the way to go, even buying from Surefire direct, 123 batteries cost $3.32 pre set per hour, and if you are using the 120 lumen lamp that cost is for 20 minutes of running time.
        Now take the Surefire M-6 that uses the 500 lumen lamp for a run time of 20 minutes and waste six batteries. That is almost $10.00 every 20 minutes of light!!!

Take the MAG 951 from the classified add, it output 951 lumens and they are FREE LUMENS, the batteries can be recharge 1000 times and the run time of that flashlight is 30 minutes (10 more than the M-6)

Now, as I explained the MAG 951 is based on the Maglite 3 "D" if the flashlight ever get damaged you just buy a new "host" in Home Depot or Wal Mart for less than $20.00 and transfer the parts that make the MEGALIGHT into the new "host".

FREE MEGALUMENS for 500 hours and a low cost "host" replacement. And extra rechargeable batteries are available for $24.00 a set.
        I say that you should look into it.
        Best regards
        black bear
        builder of the BOREALIS flashlight
        www.BlackBearFlashlights.com
        E- mail [email protected]

Comment

I can vouch for Blackbear and his lights - THEY MELT PAINT!

I bought one of the Super Mags he is selling and its awesome. When I turn that thing on the looks from my partners have been priceless. Plus when I am clearing rooms and that thing clicks on - I can see the whole room, not just the corner I am shining. The overspill of light that comes off these things is impressive. I also bought a surefire 6P from blackbear as my back up. Blackbear will treat you right and I urge anyone wanting/needing the brightest light to look into his flashlights.

Halfacop
          There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

(I posted this on another forum a while ago)

Here is what I suggest.

I. A light mounted on every weapon you may use.

II. A very bright long lasting handheld light that you pull out when you do DUI's, looking for a lost kid, or directing traffic. Its good if this is a rechargable like the Surefire 10X. Also have the ability to attach this to your body when the battery dies.

III. A light like the surefire M2, G2, or L2 something small yet very bright and kept on your belt all day every day. This is your backup light when your primary or long gun light battery runs out. Don't use this for daily work its like a Back up Gun its only there for emergencies.

IV. The last thing you want to do is limit your options. If I'm going to go clear a building my long gun with attached light comes out. I would leave my primary light on the charger in the car. My primary light now becomes my long gun light. When that dies I still have my M2 light to fall back on. If I'm away from my car say on a foot patrol and I get a call for a buglary in progress. I won't have my long gun so when I get to the call my 10X gets tucked away, and my primary light is now my pistol light until the scene is safe. If its a big *** building I may use up the batteries in my pistol light but I still have my 10X or if I forgot the 10X, then I have the M2.

Basically all I'm saying is 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Yes I know its expensive but how important is seeing at night to you?

Just my .02 cents
            YMMV

Comment

Here is a site to look in on:
              Candle Power Forums
              where you will find civilians and LEO/PO who are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about lighting tools, including high-powered bulbs, disposable and rechargeable power sources. There are many members on there that are custom-builders and retail dealers, with links to their sites. Many commercially-available and custom-built lights, bulbs and power sources are often available for sale in the B/S/T thread.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

See, all the flashlights I have found so far have a maximum running time of 1-2.5 hours. What I need is a flashlight that could last way past that (say 5-20 hours) Ever hear of one like that?

Comment

Originally posted by mdgodfather
                  See, all the flashlights I have found so far have a maximum running time of 1-2.5 hours. What I need is a flashlight that could last way past that (say 5-20 hours) Ever hear of one like that?
                  You just are not going to find anything like that. The best you can do is get a lighting tool that can use both disposable and rechargeable power sources, then obtain at least 2 sets of rechargeable cells, an AC home charger, a DC car charger and a supply of disposable cells. That way, you start off with one rechargeable power source, swap it out for the 2nd rechargeable source when it dies, put the 1st source on one of your chargers, then have some disposables ready to swap for the 2nd rechargeable when it dies in case your 1st rechargeable is not powered-up yet.

You could also carry at least 2, if not 3, lighting tools, preferrably which all use the same power source.

What kind of work are you doing that you would need to be on duty THAT long, and/or where you would be in darkness THAT long? My Pila GL3R has lasted several weeks on my duty belt, being used hard on nights and not at all on days, and the charge in the 2 150A cells has lasted all that time. I have been carrying a pack of Battery Station 123A disposables and have yet to swap them for the 150A.

Candle Power Forums has some great suggestions on very simple upgrades for Magchargers and Tigerlights as well that will not require a lot of re-engineering.
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

Yeah they use LEDs for the light source. Not as bright as a xenon light but will literally last days.

Comment

Then LED-lights are what you need. Only problem with those is that they can be quite expensive, allthough you quickly save on battery expenses. And as SO535 pointed out they are not as bright as xenon lamps.

Comment

Sorry, like SO535 and FinnGuard said, you COULD go with LED lights, and SOME of those type of lights that are available via local retailers are NOT as bright as xenon lights. However, there ARE LED lighting tools available that ARE very close to xenon lights in output, although they may not "throw" as far, but will give you a wide close beam.

Check out:
                        Elektrolumens
                        for LED lighting tools, or the LED related threads on Candle Power Forums, especially the B/S/T or Groupbuy/Passaround threads.
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Unfortunately LED and Luxeon lights don't throw far as incandescent do. Besides they are poor performers in conditions of fog, rain, snow, smoke as they don't penetrate well.
                          They lack the red spectrum of light that incandescent have and for that reason they don't define the target properly.

As an example I have a Raccoon feeder 25 yards away, and when I shine incandescent lights in there, like an E2e or 6 P with they 60 and 65 lumens I can appreciate every detail of the animal.
                          When I do it with my best Luxeons III flashlights I get a blending of the foliage around and the definition is poor.

Beside this trend, I don't consider them suitable for extreme duty due to their electronics, is they fail it is no way that you can repair them in the field; a trip to the factory is indicated.

With the incandescent you change the bulb or the batteries and keep using it.
                          That is why you will not see LED's as Military lights, or weapon mounted lights.

I do have several very expensive modifications of Surefire lights that are run with Luxeon III with electronics such as the Down Boy 917 and using the best of bins like TYOJ or TWOJ, with PR T heads, such lights are much better than anything available over the counter and are the cutting edge of the technology in LED and Luxeon and are the best available from the CPF modders.

some modifications on Surefire bodies

A Surefire with PR head Down Boy 917 and TYOJ Luxeon III and a Surefire Digital Lumamax L-4

I like to play around with them and using them indoors,
                          But for duty by Police Officers and Military I still prefer the fool proof incandescent lights.
                          Best regards
                          black bear 84
                          builder of the BOREALIS flashlight
                          www.BlackBearFlashlights.com
                          E- mail [email protected]

Comment

This is a really good post.

Everyone only thinks about back up weapons. Over the course of a career, a flashlight will save your life more than any of your weapons.

I've seen guys make stops, realize that they have no flashlight, and continue the shift without grabbing one.

So absurd.

Anyway, excellent post.
                            In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.
                            -Winston Churchill

Comment

I carry 2 lights all the time in uniform, a Surefire L4 for close range search work and a Gladius for further out, both of these run on PILA 168s rechargebles.

I use a little Peli Versibright 3 for tickets etc and carry a Tigerlight in my car bag. I also carry a PILA G3 in my car bag to lend to colleages with D cell Mags when we go searching for someone

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6346 users online. 342 members and 6004 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X