Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new idea for restraint

hey all...

I had an idea that I have developed and filed a patent for, and I'm looking for opinions from officers. This is a pretty simple idea.

The idea that I have come up with is a set of cuffs that has one cuff with a webbed tether through the chain link attached to the swivel on the bottom side of the cuff. On the other end of this tether is a cam buckle. The cam buckle is such that webbing can go through one way and not be backed out without releasing the buckle. The other cuff is attached to a longer webbing that is fed through the cam buckle and has a loop sewn into the end of it. The advantage of this design is such that if an officer is trying to cuff a criminal that is resisting, once they get one cuff on one arm, they can use the extra webbing to get the other cuff around the other arm, and then by pulling on the loop on the other side of the cam buckle it brings the wrists together and in the normal position that regular handcuffs do. Once in this position, it's advantageous for the officer, because now they have about a 24" tether that they can use to direct the criminal, without having to grab between the cuffs. I will be emailing you a small video, showing exactly how this configuration works. This system is patent pending. There are several
    advantages to this system.

It can be used to subdue larger people who normally need 2 or more sets of
    cuffs because their arms can not be put behind their back and into regular
    cuffs.

Unlike plastic zip-tie like cuffs, these are re-useable and they allow for
    the arms to be further apart.

Adding this webbing and the cam buckle add less than 50 cents to the
    material price, but it can be sold for considerably more, increasing
    profits.

An officer that is smaller than the person they are tring to put into
    custody can safely put someone in the cuff by themselves, by using the
    leverage of the cam buckle, and thsu they don't have to wait for a back-up
    to show up and help.

This system can be used to shackle feet and the tether can be stuck out the
    door such that the person in custody's feet can not be used to kick at the
    door or window.

This system can be used for transport of prisoners and/or others in custody.

Please let me know what you guys think. you can emial me directly at [email protected] I have pictures of a prototype that I can send.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Ryan Schmeltz

Not to be a wet blanket, but if the person is resisting, I sure don't want all that webbing to get tangled up in. Also, if there is an increase in leverage with your system, there will be an increase in injuries (possibly) and lawsuits (for certain). Too much chance of applying too much force and dislocating joints or injuring muscles. We all know how soft tissue injuries are the basis for unproveable injuries.

It may have some use for persons already in custody, but I'm a chain man, myself.

In rereading your post, it sounds like I will be providing the suspect with 24" of webbing to possibly be used to strangle me. No thanks.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

However, 24" of webbing is WAY too much. Drop it down to more like 8" or 10" of webbing and that would be more workable.

I also think Sleuth's points about torquing and injuries are good. Though, I don't know how much it would worry me.

The idea of using it in corrections/conveyances would be a good idea. Using such a restraint would allow loosening and retightening them for instances where a prisoner needs more mobility (ie. doctors visit, eating, etc.). Also, might be able to be used more easily with a belly chain.

I'd be interested in seeing pics, tho.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

An officer that is smaller than the person they are tring to put into
        custody can safely put someone in the cuff by themselves, by using the
        leverage of the cam buckle, and thsu they don't have to wait for a back-up
        to show up and help.
        Does this sentence bother anyone else?

Comment

After rereading that line, I realize that you bring up a good point. Therefore, What I was trying to convey is that if you were the first to respond, and your back-up was unable to get there immediately and you had to take someone into custody, you could get someone significantly bigger than you in to the restraints and by pulling the webbing, they would be restrained, instead of having to wait for other officers assist, should they be struggling. Hope this helps.

Comment

On the reread, yes, telling officers to take on resisting suspects solo just because they have your device is unsafe. Sometimes, they must be taken on alone, but, in my agency, we drew down on them and let them play 'kiss the desert floor' rather than take them on alone.

I never really had to fight a suspect - perhaps because I was ready to let them closely observe the front of my gun! But the few times I had them resist, I wanted as little gear out as possible.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2275 users online. 137 members and 2138 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X