Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nylon or leather duty gear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nylon or leather duty gear?

    Do you recommend nylon or leather duty gear and why? Thanks.

  • #2
    nylon its lighter and easier to clean

    Comment


    • #3
      Synthetic Leather duty gear (basketweave). It looks nicer, holds up better than leather in that it wont tear or stain, and is professional looking. It costs a little more, so i'm gradually switching over, each time I need I new duty belt item, I buy synthetic, and toss the old leather crap.
      "I only had a couple!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Leather is the way to go.

        ......................................
        Last edited by toasterlocker; 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by toasterlocker
          I disagree with a lot of people on the leather vs. nylon issue, and here is why.

          People say nylon is lighter, but to me that is the only really advantage and the weight difference is tiny.

          People say nylon is easier to clean, but I disagree. A leather belt with some Kiwi boot polish worked into it will make it look brand new, even if there are scratches in the material itself. Nylon will fade, fray and look old when you wash it, leather will only look better after some polish. I think leather holds up better over time, as long as you get a good quality fully-lined belt.

          As far as the synthetic leather goes, I don't have much experience with it. I imagine it wouldn't polish up as nicely as real leather would though. Plus, I think real usually looks better anyway. Expensive too, even on ebay.

          Also, its generally easier to find matching holders and such in leather.

          As a matter of personal preference, I think leather looks better. There are things that are better about nylon, but you need to ask yourself if those minor improvements are worth it. My answer was no.
          I certainly agree with you toaster on the nylon vs. leather issue. If fact, in our department, Nylon is not allowed. However, as far as synthetic leather gear goes, side by side with the real stuff on my belt, you can't even tell the difference between real and not. The only real difference, is the synthetic looks better, in that it keeps its glossy shine and doesnt look worn.

          I've have gone through a number of cuff cases, and one magazine holder so far in my career, because the leather just wore out and ended up tearing. Especially the cuff cases. I wear two cuff cases, one on each side, left and right, behind my back. The real leather ended up wearing so much in turned brown, I suppose from on the friction of the squad seat, and then the flaps ended up tearing after constantly snagging on the seatbelt or I would catch them on the frame of the squad. With the synthetic cases, I've noticed no problems.
          "I only had a couple!"

          Comment


          • #6
            I actually like the look of basketweave gear, however I think that leather is out dated with the new sythetics out there. I wear Accumold Elite and LOVE it. I will NOT wear real leather and policy won't allow me to wear plain nylon.

            Leather is heavy, wears too quickly, and turns brown with wear. I know of NO ONE in my department of over 500 that actually cares for their leather gear by using polish and what not. There might be some who actually do it, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who does. This results in ALOT of people with some crappy looking gear.

            Yes, nylon will fade a tiny bit. But in my experience, the leather will fade and wear much quicker than nylon will. I have friends with other departments who have nylon gear that doesn't look nearly as bad as guys from my department who've been on as long.

            With modern nylon gear (NOT Uncle Mike's), such as K-Force, Accumold, or Safariland's new stuff, it is very unlikely that nylon gear with fray, tear, or fall apart. Fading is the only issue, and that is unlikely to be too bad as well. My brother uses a Accumold belt, going on 10 years old, that doesn't look much past brand new.
            Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

            Comment


            • #7
              I say leather....

              why you ask...

              Because my department makes me
              THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

              Patience with ignorance

              Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

              I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

              When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

              Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

              Comment


              • #8
                Most of us in Finland are using Hellweg ( synthetic leather ) belt and gear. Great in function, looks and durability. Only downside is that we are having great backproblems ( the stiffness of the belt? ). There are people currently working on something new in our police organization. Modifications in seats of our cars ( ( mainly VW T4/T5 and Ford Mondeos ) is considered as well all as " tactical " holsters dropped to leg-level and carrying our essential gear in vests.

                Considerable also that we do not carry any gear in the backside of our belts, because of the risk of becoming paralyzed when being
                stumbled in our back. May sound funny but it is a real problem in winter times with all the ice and snow.

                Comment


                • #9
                  A tip for fading

                  You can use the KIWI water-based shoe sole edge dressing. It is thin enough that it will not clot in the grooves of the nylon, but it wil return your gear to its original black finish.

                  You can also use it on the canvas part of your boots when they start looking dirty.
                  If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

                  If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

                  www.sportbikes.net

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jeeper
                    I actually like the look of basketweave gear, however I think that leather is out dated with the new sythetics out there. I wear Accumold Elite and LOVE it. I will NOT wear real leather and policy won't allow me to wear plain nylon.

                    Leather is heavy, wears too quickly, and turns brown with wear. I know of NO ONE in my department of over 500 that actually cares for their leather gear by using polish and what not. There might be some who actually do it, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who does. This results in ALOT of people with some crappy looking gear.

                    Yes, nylon will fade a tiny bit. But in my experience, the leather will fade and wear much quicker than nylon will. I have friends with other departments who have nylon gear that doesn't look nearly as bad as guys from my department who've been on as long.

                    With modern nylon gear (NOT Uncle Mike's), such as K-Force, Accumold, or Safariland's new stuff, it is very unlikely that nylon gear with fray, tear, or fall apart. Fading is the only issue, and that is unlikely to be too bad as well. My brother uses a Accumold belt, going on 10 years old, that doesn't look much past brand new.
                    I definitely agree with you on Bianchi. Their stuff is top-notch and I would recommend Bianchi whether you want leather, synthetic leather, or nylon.

                    I personally carry all nylon Bianchi AccuMold. In my opinion, it looks a lot better than most nylon gear and holds up better. I can understand why some people think nylon looks ugly and I think that's because they've only seen the cheap stuff. Bianchi AccuMold nylon gear is spendy but it is worth it as far as looks and durability goes. Plus, they've got a pouch for just about anything you'd ever want to carry on your belt and in any configuration. The choice between velcro and hidden snap closure is nice too. I carry only the hidden snap just because I'm afraid the velcro would wear out too soon, but I know lots of guys carry velcro, and maybe it's not that big of an issue.

                    Anyway, nylon for me please.
                    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've got a couple differant set ups, 1 Accu-mold nylon, 1 basketweave leather, and one plain leather.

                      I tend to favor the plain leather. For some reason the nylon gear screams "security guard" to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use Bianchi Accumold, and it looks as good today as when I started wearing it 6 or 7 years ago. Everything, from the holster to the cuff cases retains it's shape, plus, with an inner velcro belt, everything stays where it should. I also have a leather set up and things are constantly shoifting on it, unless I use a bunch of keepers.
                        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          .....................
                          Last edited by shiv357; 10-19-2007, 03:10 PM. Reason: none

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by keith758
                            I use Bianchi Accumold, and it looks as good today as when I started wearing it 6 or 7 years ago. Everything, from the holster to the cuff cases retains it's shape, plus, with an inner velcro belt, everything stays where it should. I also have a leather set up and things are constantly shoifting on it, unless I use a bunch of keepers.
                            I had an entire Bianchi set for the 5 yrs 8 months I worked at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department in Phoenix AZ. It did not hold up so well it frayed, got old looking and wasn't holding up so great.Maybe it was that "Dry Heat!" out there but leather lasts longer and looks better!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cincyglocker
                              I've got a couple differant set ups, 1 Accu-mold nylon, 1 basketweave leather, and one plain leather.

                              I tend to favor the plain leather. For some reason the nylon gear screams "security guard" to me.
                              I almost gotta think it's a regional thing. Back east it seems to be more traditional, hence a lot of leather.

                              In the frontier (read: Pacific Northwest ) I mostly see officers wearing nylon.
                              Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8236 users online. 247 members and 7989 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X