300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRKT knives

Any opinions on these? I can't find any mention of them on here... is there a reason no one seems to prefer them?

I've seen a lot of suggestions for Kershaw/Ken Onion knives and Benchmade. I'm going to check out Kershaws later and there's no way I'm spending money for a Benchmade on a work knife. Right now I have a Gerber but it's gotten pretty beat up and I wasn't really impressed with it anyway.
    Last edited by Larry's Angel; 04-21-2005, 09:23 AM.

I have one, my SO has a couple. They are very good knives, and not overly pricey. I think you will like them.

Comment

my experience with them has been poor. i've owned 2...both fell apart. i've seen several others with problems. they have some cool designs and are inexpensively priced but i think there are much better knives for the money.

both gerber and kershaw typically use pretty soft steel and won't hold an edge very long although both have some top-of-the-line blades that are pretty good.

i really like spyderco for the money. a delica or an endura would be an excellent choice. they use top-notch materials on all their knives.

benchmede and emerson are both worth thier high price tags in my opinion. they'll last forever and have some excellent designs. i especially like the BM 806, 710, 551, 635 and the Emerson Commander.

with knives you DEFINATLY get what you pay for.

Comment

I recently got the SOG Mini X-Ray Vision and love it! the best $55 I ever spent on a knife. It had all the features I wanted and more. I especially like a reversible belt clip. I had also looked at the CRKTY knives before I went with the SOG. I am glad I did. I have heard good things about the CRKT's though.
        Dave

Here's a link:
        http://www.sogknives.com/minxrvis.htm

Comment

I've owned probably 100 knives over the last 10 years. If you're looking for decent quality in the $50-$70 range, I'd say Spyderco and CRKT are two strong choices. Personally, I prefer Spyderco, simply because I think their blade hole is the easiest one-handed opening device (short of an assisted opener or true automatic) on the market. The ONLY bad Spyderco I've owned (and I've had around 20 of them) was the Native 'First Generation' knife that was the company's ill-advised foray into joint production.

My everyday and duty carry is a Delica, and I've had one for over 10 years. I'm on my third one. But I gave my academy classmate a CRKT M-16 as a graduation gift and he loves it.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I have two CRKT M-16's (12 and 14). They have both keep a very good edge and feel solid. The 14 is large and sort of heavy, but with a flip of the wrist (and some WD40) opens as fast as an auto.

My only complaint is the location of the pocket clip. It isn't right at the edge of the handle so you have a 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of knife sticking out of your pocket. It's not much of an issue with cargo pocket or pockets with flaps but it catches on things if you have it in a front slash pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by PSU_Alum
              I have two CRKT M-16's (12 and 14). They have both keep a very good edge and feel solid. The 14 is large and sort of heavy, but with a flip of the wrist (and some WD40) opens as fast as an auto.

My only complaint is the location of the pocket clip. It isn't right at the edge of the handle so you have a 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch of knife sticking out of your pocket. It's not much of an issue with cargo pocket or pockets with flaps but it catches on things if you have it in a front slash pocket.
              You know, it's interesting you mention this. I have a pocket-clip complaint about the Spydercos too. Even though I think they make some of the best knives on the market for the money, I don't like their pocket clip.

My first Delica had a molded clip that was part of the handle. Granted, it wasn't reversible, but the edges were smoothed out and it never lost it's coloring. Unfortunately, after 7 years of owning the knife, I caught it on a door jamb when walking through a door and snapped off the clip.

When I got a replacement, they had switched to the reversible, black-coated metal clips. I'm sure the reason they went this way is because the metal clips are tougher, reversible and replaceable. But the thing that I don't like about them is that A) the edges are 'sharper' than the old molded clip (so much so that I've actually scratched myself a couple of times when my hand has rubbed against the corner of the clip) and B) the black coating, especially around the edges, lasts about a day.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I have a CRKT M-16 that I bought a few years ago that I like. I haven't had it fall apart as others have described, but then I don't use it a great deal.

I also have a Spyderco Police model that my in laws bought for me as an academy graduation present. The only gripe I have about it is that it is huge! The things I like the best are that it is all stainless steel (some may see this as a drawback due to weight), it holds an edge forever, and it has a slim, flat profile while it's in my pocket, that is very unobtrusive. The M-16 is fatter and tends to catch on things which is why i don't carry it very much.
                "I have tried to live my life so that my family will love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."
                -John Wayne

Comment

I think I have about 5 CRKT's laying around. Of them, all but 1 is an M16. The first M16 I bought (about 7years ago) is one of the pre-zytel scale models. This knife fell apart pretty quickly. The pocket clip fell off, the blade began rusting, and the handle looks very beat up. The others are all still in great condition, with only minimal finish wear on them.

Having said that, my current daily carry knives are 2 Benchmades and a Spyderco. I've carried some sort of Benchmade knife every day for over 6 years, these knives are the heat!

Kirch: the finish wearing off your Spyderco's belt clip is a good thing. Makes your tools look like they actually get used hard. Like make up on a pretty girl, mi amigo.
                  Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I have carried the CRKT M16 for about three years, only complaint is I lost it. Now I have a Kershaw/Ken Onion Black out. I really like this knife, it has the speed assist opening and it does come in handly. I was first at a vehicle accident with a trapped person inside. She was hanging upside down caught in the seat belt. She was out of it and bleeding, I had to get her out of the vehicle, I had to support the women and cut the seat belt, with the speed assist opening I was able to open the knife one handed (no problems) and pull her out. I now swear by this knife.
                    Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

I have a stiff kiss over my steering column, next to my keys; works great for the idiot that sticks his head in my window.

Yes officer I have this to cut my seatbelt if I
                      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                      between you
                      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

+++ Emerson Commander. Great knife, worth every penny.
                        Fear not Fear, but those that do not

Comment

I was at the cop shop looking for a benchmade and the guy talked me into a CRTK 16.... you just have to keep your eye on the screws... they have walked out a little just enough to make the clip wobble and it has cost me to drop it a few times (i keep it cliped to the back of the flap on the mag case) .... just keep the 3 screws tight and its a great knife...

Comment

Originally posted by plnkownr87349
                            I was at the cop shop looking for a benchmade and the guy talked me into a CRTK 16.... you just have to keep your eye on the screws... they have walked out a little just enough to make the clip wobble and it has cost me to drop it a few times (i keep it cliped to the back of the flap on the mag case) .... just keep the 3 screws tight and its a great knife...
                            Try Loc-Tite.

Comment

Cold Steel

Nothing has been sharper or more sturdy . WWW.coldsteel.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3383 users online. 262 members and 3121 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X