300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballistic Vests question

I have been doing some research on different vest. I just recently read about the Synergy vest and was wondering if any of you have experienced this new vest and what you thought of it?

I have read it is supposed to keep you cooler and still provide protection.

Also what level of vest do most PD's provide for those who have them provided?
    For those who purchase their own what do you recommend?
    I've got friends in low places

My Department issued me a Second Chance Ultima vest that was level IIA. Then the second Chance recall came out and Second Chance sent us a upgrade, My Chief did not like it, so we all got new PACA RAD-RTH vest that are level II. These vest also came with Armor ice inserts (Quote from PACA, "Armor Ice, a revolutionary thermal management technology). I can't comment on the Inserts since they did not arrive with the vests.
    With all the vests out there I would stay with a Level II vest, it is thinner and easier to wear than a Level IIIA. I would not personally have a Level IIA vest. Yes they are lighter but do not provide the protection.
    Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

My latest issued vest is a Second Chance Monarch Summit, Level II. I have no real complaints, other than it's a lot bulkier than the Ultima I had before. Of course, the Ultima turned out to be defective anyway.

If I had the choice, I'd get a Level IIA. IMO, you just need something that will stop the caliber that you carry, since it's unlikely that you'll face something more powerful than that. I carry a .40 S&W, and the last few guns I've seized were a motley collection of crap.....no caliber more powerful than a .357 Magnum, and even that was loaded with .38 Special ammunition.

What I do is use the steel trauma plate, then put the soft Kevlar trauma plate over that. I'm not sure what level that makes it (at least III I would think), but I figure that my heart is the only organ that can't survive a gunshot, so I do everything I can to protect it.
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Great thanks guys!! I was curious about that I was gonna ask another question but do not think you all can answer it. Maybe a female officer on here can help me with that. I need to know how they will fit over the breast section as well.
        I wasnt sure about all the levels so thank you Delta for clearing that up for me. Also thanks JKump.

I had read about the synergy vest heard it was supposed to help keeo you cooler so was also curious if anyone out there has tried one for any length of time.

Anyway thanks for the responses

Comment

Do they make a vest "shapely" enough to accomodate you?
          If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
            Do they make a vest "shapely" enough to accomodate you?
            See there ya go thats what I wanna know?? I cant help the fact I got Bigunns LOL or as hubby says BIG GUNS but how the hell is a mans vest going to fit me? they have to do something to make them fit the well endowed woman

Comment

Originally posted by LadyLawman
              See there ya go thats what I wanna know?? I cant help the fact I got Bigunns LOL or as hubby says BIG GUNS but how the hell is a mans vest going to fit me? they have to do something to make them fit the well endowed woman
              Oh, they make women's vests. That's for sure. I just don't know if they make one big enough for YOU and THE TWINS (.)(.)
              Last edited by SWATcop; 03-11-2005, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Oh, they make women's vests. That's for sure. I just don't know if they make one big enough for YOU and THEM (.)(.)
                Well I guess I'll be a special order then won't I??

Its nice to be special

Comment

Well I guess I'll be a special order then won't I??

Its nice to be special
                  I can see it now - Suzy the seamstress strapping a couple of Cantelopes to a mannequin to make YOUR vest.

Comment

I can see it now - Suzy the seamstress strapping a couple of Cantelopes to a mannequin to make YOUR vest.
                    LOL well I guess if thats all she has she will have to make due with it LOL

Comment

LOL well I guess if thats all she has she will have to make due with it LOL
                      OK, I'm going to just quit while I'm ahead. I have a long night ahead of me. Nighty-night. Say hello to "the twins" for me.

Comment

OK, I'm going to just quit while I'm ahead. I have a long night ahead of me. Nighty-night. Say hello to "the twins" for me.
                        LOL the twins said goodnight sleep tight.

Comment

Innuendo aside , finding a vest to fit a female is very important. You'll be less likely to wear a vest that doesn't fit properly. I highly recommend getting a female vest, having worn both. Mine was a Second Chance, provided by my department.

K

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129
                            Innuendo aside , finding a vest to fit a female is very important. You'll be less likely to wear a vest that doesn't fit properly. I highly recommend getting a female vest, having worn both. Mine was a Second Chance, provided by my department.

K
                            THANK YOU I was hoping a female would reply to this!! all kidding aside though do you have to get measured for it? or how does that work?

Comment

Instead of the very few measurements required for a male/unisex vest, there's a slew required for the female vest. I'm talking "nipple to midline" exacting measurements. When measuring, make sure you wear the type of bra you would normally wear on duty. My Lt. at the time threatened to post my measurements on the wall. In return, I told him I would doctor it so my "nipple to waist" measurement read 2 inches . There's only a couple of companies that offer female vests, and there are different ways they are manufactured. Whatever company you decide to go with will provide you with a measurement chart. I recommend the type with molded bust cups, as my Second Chance had, versus the type formed with extra seams (like darting on a shirt). Seam=weak point. There are unisex vests, but I think they'd be uncomfortable if you have any size at all. My first vest, before mine was ordered, was a hand-me-down from a female officer who was 5'2" and a B cup at best. At 5'6" and a solid C, it fit me like a friggin' sports bra and was very uncomfortable. Here is a sizing chart for Second Chance: Female Vest

On a side note, I do NOT recommend the hard trauma plate for female vests..go with a soft pak instead. The hard ones are bent in the middle, like a shallow "V"..when I saw the one they ordered with mine, I said "hell no." All I could envision when I saw it was a glancing round into my chin/throat. Just my 2 cents.

K

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3098 users online. 147 members and 2951 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X