300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuffs: Hindged vs. chain

What type is best for general police carry and why?

this is one question I would not mind knowing as well.
    Stay Safe!!

Comment

Everyone has personal prefferences, some are restricted to a particular type by department policy. I carry hinged Peerless cuffs, I find them easier to get on the suspect and provide better control of the suspect once cuffed, hinges also make it harder for the suspect to twist their hands around to manipulate things. Down side to hinged is greater risk of injury to the suspects wrists during a struggle.
      never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

is that really a downside???

i carry a pair of both, with hinged being my primary pair. i say if they are to be arrested, who cares what is more comfortable for them. i like the control of hinged better, i always know what side my key hole is and they keep their hands one way.

Comment

With that said I guess it is all in what you want to pay for, lol.
          Stay Safe!!

Comment

Personally, I prefer chained. I find them easier to get onto a less than cooperative suspect. But as has been said its entirly a personal choice, unless your Dept has a policy in place.

Comment

Another vote for hinged. I like the additional control as soon as you get one cuff on. Plus, the ones I used were larger than the chain type - seems wrists were getting bigger.
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

I know I will get in trouble for this but I just can't resist this thread.............so whats better in the bedroom.....hinged or chained.......he he

Ok ok, I am leaving on that note.

Comment

Fur lined.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Frank the Tank
                    is that really a downside???

i carry a pair of both, with hinged being my primary pair. i say if they are to be arrested, who cares what is more comfortable for them. i like the control of hinged better, i always know what side my key hole is and they keep their hands one way.
                    Ditto
                    Do your best, do what is right

Comment

I personally like chain. If the guy is big enough I think he can break the cuffs you can bet I will have someone assist me in the arrest.

Comment

If you perform regular transports of prisoners or mental patients using a belly chain, hinged won't work without a special box.
                        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

chains suck because you can break the little piece that mounts to the cuff and connects to the chain. i'm not going to go into details, but after prooving my point, a lot of our guys now carry hinged.

Comment

Why no details??

I'm guessing b/c this is a public forum you wont tell me how to break chained cuffs??

Comment

About 40 years ago, there was a guy going on TV showing how. I'm not him, and I hope no one else remembers (or will tell the public). The job is hard enough!
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3412 users online. 239 members and 3173 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X