300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Stations

I am inquiring from anyone whom might have information on any current government grants and/or funding that my department could look to in order to purchase a total station (survey equipment used to investigate crime/accident scenes)?

All the usual sources for grant $$. Also try the major insurance companies - in most cases you are acting as their investigators anyway. Look to NHTSA as well for a grant.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Good point sleuth,

I didnt even give the insurance companies thought. I am not up to speed on the best places to look for the gov't grant money. Being a patrol level officer all that is usually handled by the brass. I would like to try and research this and be able to present it to them.
      Any Ideas?

Comment

I'm writing grants for my volunteer Fire Department (can't stay away from the red lights & sirens). The steps are:
        1.Get hard numbers for the costs of what you want, including shipping. Anticipate a price rise before you can get the grant.
        2. Start looking at web sites from any company or foundation that might remotely be interested in funding your project.
        3. Contact the foundation, and ask if they would consider your project.
        4. If YES, get the specifics on how to apply (e-grant, paper, some demand certain paper sizes and even tell you the only size print and font they will accept).
        5. Clear all this with the powers that be, pointing out that there is a chance the XYZ foundation will fund the project.
        6. Write the grant application.
        7. Wait - you may never hear from them. But a well reasoned proposal, that meets their criteria, can be a winner!
        PM me if you need more details.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Thanks Again,

I have already started contacting our major insurance companies as you suggested. This equipment costs approximately $30,000, hard to come up with hard figures at this point due to the different software vendors. I have not got a response back from NHTSA as of yet.My experience in proposal and/or grant writing is, well I have none, so I am giving this one my best shot first time up to bat. I have been trying to avoid going the route of asking businesses for support due to the fact that our department puts on a major golf outing each year resulting in the request for a lot of donations. Dont want to keep dipping into the cookie jar if you know what I mean. I do appreciate your suggestions though. The more help the better.

Pickles

Comment

Don't neglect to ask the vendors if they know of any agncies that got a grant to buy their gear.

Sell your department - "The BBB Police provide police services to the 2,000,000 people in the city, and support the BCB Sheriff's office and the state highway patrol. There are 555 miles of freeway in our jurisdiction, and xxx has become a serious problem, identified in 25% of our fatal accidents. ..." (i.e, establish the need).

In your application for a grant, spell out exactly how this gear will save lives/reduce crime/reduce injuries. Include something about positive effect on the lives of the people you serve, and suggest (if a corporation) positive publicity on receipt of the grant, and again when the equipment is received, and after 1 year showing results.

If the foundation is a 'warm, fuzzy' gruop, write a warm, fuzzy letter. If it is a 'just the facts' situation, do just the facts.
            Good luck
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2275 users online. 97 members and 2178 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X