Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WestbrookFSPD
    replied
    What kind of training or should I say, what kind of encounter would u have where u would even need one??????? its a mall...
    I used to work at a Mall as Mall Security and I have noticed that at night and on the weekend a mall becomes a little city. its just as dangerous there as it is on the streets. Remember someone that wants to hurt a Law Enforcement Official looks for the uniform not the job. Dont let anyone tell you a mall is a fluff job and you cant get hurt there. when you see a mall guard with an ASP or Handcuffs they are lucky. Most malls are scared it will make the mall Guards look to agressive and is bad for P.R. Anyway go listen to some of the stories Security Guards have to tell. It can get pretty scary

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Originally posted by Tackleberry15
    No, I'm certified through the state of CA to carry that baton. We carry pretty much everything except a gun.

And yes, we have rank structure: Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Director.
    You are certified...however...were u trained with it? And what gives a mall security guard the right to carry an ASP anyway? What kind of training or should I say, what kind of encounter would u have where u would even need one??????? its a mall...that fabishes me that a Mall would allow this...what a risk...might as well say hey this guys a cop...oh wait...no hes...nope can't tell...same uniform...has a duty belt...I am sorry but security guards at a mall for one should have a radio and a yellow flashing light on their Kia cars...

Leave a comment:

• Tackleberry15
    replied
    No, I'm certified through the state of CA to carry that baton. We carry pretty much everything except a gun.

And yes, we have rank structure: Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Director.

Leave a comment:

• USAF E5
    replied
    Just curious, does your security agency have a rank structure? The mall here has a "Full-Bird" Colonel and a 2nd Lieutenant working the foot-patrols. Seems like they all wear officer rank. They don't carry asps, just a duty-belt with a cell phone and a radio.

Also, are you going through a state-certification course or are do you all have practice bags at the mall?

Leave a comment:

• Tackleberry15
    replied
    We did some baton practice the other nite with our training bags. That air weight model swings like a champ. My partner carries a 31" also, but his is an electroless model, so it's heavier than my air weight. It doesn't swing as well.

I really like this baton and would recommend it to anybody.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Your size actually should have nothing to do with it. I have known officers your size that preferred the 21". It is all a matter of personal preference. I recommend my students to try both the 21" and 26" during class, so they can have a more educated and practical experience with it prior to deciding, if they haven't purchased one already.

Leave a comment:

• Tackleberry15
    replied
    LOL No, I bought this with my own money.

I was actually reccommended it by a police officer, he said due to my size and strength (6'4", 270), a 26" would seem like a toothpick, so he reccommended the 31".

Leave a comment:

• kirch
    replied
    I carry a 26" ASP and it already comes halfway up my side. I would imagine a 31" would be damn near in my armpit. Seems a little long for what you're going to be doing. The mall probably got a deal on them, as they're not the most desirable size.

I can imagine the sales pitch -- "We'll give you a 31" for the same price as a 26" -- you get 5 inches FREE! Buy now, while supplies last."

Leave a comment:

• Mike G from NC
    replied
    When I was in ASP instructor school we were told that ASP had came out with the 31" for mounted patrol and didn't recomend it for patrol use.Let me know what your batting average is with that thing

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The ASP is a very good baton. 31" though, that is big for normal duty use. Most officers use either the 21" or 26". I am certified by ASP as an instructor. It was explained to me that the 31" came to play due to LAPD SWAT requesting an expandable that was a little longer. Personally, I feel that the 31" is better suited for tactical operations and crowd control/riot situations. I carry the 26". As far as the Airweight. Don't worry about it. Although ASP doesn't recommend it for normal duty use, I don't see a problem. I don't have the specs in front of me, but if I remember correctly the Airweight is made of an alloy aluminum and is 45% lighter than the black chrome (most common model), but with that reduction in weight, you only loose 2% of the kinetic energy. Think of it this way, if with a standard ASP baton you are producing 200 lbs of energy, with the airweight your going to produce 196 lbs of energy. It is not a significant loss, so don't worry. Strength wise, it will hold up.

Good luck and STAY SAFE!

Leave a comment:

• Tackleberry15
    replied
    Bike as in bicycle, not motorcycle. We're gonna patrol the exterior lots on bikes.

Leave a comment:

• greenlead
    replied
    Bike patrol at the mall?????

Leave a comment:

• Tackleberry15
    started a topic ASP 31" Air Weight Baton

ASP 31" Air Weight Baton

Anybody use this type of ASP? I just got it today for work at the mall, and it feels kinda flimsy in my hand. I normally carry a 26" rosewood straight baton, but our supervisor announced this summer we will be doing bike patrol, and an ASP would be better than a straight baton while on a bicycle I'm sure. Anybody else use a 31" Air Weight ASP? I'm still trying to get used to this damn thing. It's so light, I have to look on my duty belt just to check if it's there.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5092 users online. 312 members and 4780 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X