300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bates and Hi Tec boot wearers

I'm going to Marine OCS this summer and as far as I know we can take our own boots. We'll be doing lots and lots and lots of running (did I say a lot of running?) I'm looking to for lite weight boots that are comfortable. I have very flat feet so little or removable arch support is necessary. I know Danners are some of the best boots around but for my purposes light weight trumps long lasting quality.

I've heard that the Bates Ultra Lights are good and their Enforcer line is supposed to be good. I've also heard about Strikers but I don't know anything about them. I'm not very familiar with Hi Tecs either but I knew some guys that had them when I was on active duty and they liked them.

Anyone used any of these boots for an academy or had to do much running in them?
    On the wings of a dove
    Let's roll for justice
    Let's roll for truth
    Let's not let our children grow up
    Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Did you check out Rocky Boots? They've got a great line of footwear.

Comment

Marines don't make you wear military issue boots?

Comment

For general uniform use Marines don't have to wear issued boots. There are certain guidelines that boots have to meet, number of eyelets, color, height, etc. October of this year though black boots are no longer authorized. Everyone will now have to wear the new brown ones.

Thanks for the tip on Rocky's. Do you know how heavy they are?
        On the wings of a dove
        Let's roll for justice
        Let's roll for truth
        Let's not let our children grow up
        Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

I had a pair of Hi-Techs ONCE about 7 years ago.

They were uncomfortable, heavy and oversized on the outside.
          The soles seperated within a couple of months.

I stuck with Rockys for about ten years. When I was working the field, I'd walk 5 - 10 miles a day cross country. The soles lasted at least a year each, and they remained comfortable.
          "Public service is not just a job.
          It is an act of citizenship."
          ---G.W. Bush

Comment

I've been wearing the Magnum Hi-Tec Storm (waterproof) for about two years now. I personally think they are a great value. You can pay more for a pair of boots, but I don't necessarily thing you get much more.

A few complaints I have, though.

1. They're somewhat heavy and kind of clunky
            2. The protective fabric liner on the interior of the boot wore away at my heel pretty quickly. Fine for riding around in the car but blister-producing when I have to walk any significant distance.
            3. The little pull-tabs on the back were too small to provide any significant assistance when putting on the boots and ended up catching my pants cuff ALL the time. Every time I got out of the car I'd have to fix my pants legs. I finally cut them off in frustration.

Today I just picked up a pair that sound like they'd be right up your alley -- Ridge Air-Tacs. They're like a combination boot-running shoe and were designed specifically for those who have to spend a lot of their time on their feet. I wore them around the house today to start breaking them in and it didn't even feel like I was wearing a boot. They even have that little air-pocket in the heel for added cushioning while walking/running. I got them with the 4" upper (rather than the 6" of my Hi-Tecs) and plan on using them as my summer boots, when I want something a bit lighter and cooler. You should give them a check.
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4529 users online. 286 members and 4243 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X