300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepdog110 View Post
    If given the option, I wouldn't go back to rolling without the external. It is WAY more comfortable and my back pain has lessened significantly. Plus, being able to take it off at the office in mid-August after doing traffic control for a few hours is a huge plus. It really helps you cool down. I'd disagree about the breathability issue. I think it breathes a little better than a concealed vest.

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know." -Aristotle
    That is good to hear. I'm expecting my external to come in at the end of June early July. I ordered from Richard cowell tactical. Moving everything but my firearm to the vest.

Comment

Ended up not purchasing the blauer. Looking at this protective products vest.

Its going to be so damn hot...

I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

I have been tossing around the idea of requesting an external vest when I get back from the Academy (I was issued a duty belt). Trying to see if it would reduce back pain or not.
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

External Vest Questions

You still might consider keeping the duty belt to mount your holster. The holster needs a solid base, and the more grab-resistant duty holsters require a 2-1/4" belt. Thigh holsters are only for if you're wearing a bulky SWAT-type vest that blocks a belt holster.
          Last edited by ateamer; 07-26-2016, 11:44 PM.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I would use a drop-holster attached to my BDU belt if I used the external vest. Our new Chief is changing everything up when he returns from the Academy, so I might wait. We use 5.11 TDUs and will most likely switch to the PDU (more traditional) and wear our metal badge instead of the embroidered patch badge.
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              You still might consider keeping the duty belt to mount your holster. The holster needs a solid base, and the more grab-resistant duty holsters require a 2-1/4" belt. Thigh holsters are only for if you're wearing a bulky SWAT-type vest that blocks a belt holster.
              I will never for the life of me understand why guys use a thigh rig if a pistol is their primary weapon. Thigh rigs are only allowed here for SWAT and K9.

Comment

I got used to thigh holsters in the Air Force (was the required holster and mounting option). Once they dumped the "everyone had to wear a pistol belt" I carried my ASP, radio, magazines, and everything else in my Blackhawk vest, and my M9 and one mag in the thigh holster. Now I have the Safariland SLS holster (same as the AF issued me) but mounted on a duty belt
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

Love my chest rig

M&P CHEST.jpg
                  I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

Please PM me more info on how you presented it to your chief.
                    Last edited by Lublin; 12-06-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac47 View Post
                      I know, another external carrier thread. However, I haven't seen many of my questions answered in the other threads.

I'm currently going through some lower back and hip pain and my doctor is fully on board with a load bearing armor carrier to replace much of the weight of my duty belt. This would be the type of vest that removes most of the items on the duty belt and puts them on the external vest, as well as my body armor. Although this is pretty popular throughout most of the country, it is almost unheard of in my region, as nearly every police department wears custom made wool class A/B style uniforms for patrol.

A few questions have popped up though in regards to the vest vs. the duty belt. For those that wear them:

- Have you noticed a significant change in weight distribution as compared to wearing a fully loaded duty belt? If you switched because of back or hip pain, did the switch make a huge difference?

- This seems like a pretty obvious question, but what do you do if you have to put on a rain coat, or a traffic vest during an accident. Pretty much seems like your screwed to get access to the vest.

- What items did you chose to put on your vest, and what items did you chose to leave on your duty belt, and why?

- I have a level IV rifle vest I've been throwing on when I deploy my AR. Obviously this is going to make putting this on quickly a little difficult. I can't be the only guy who has thought about this, so for those that also have a separate rifle plate and wear an external vest, what do you typically do?

- What are the pros/cons of this system that you have found?

- I've looked at a few manufactures. Right now I really like the look of Richard Cowell Tactical, but I've also looked into The Vest Man, JG uniforms, and Turtle Tracks (not taking new orders at this time). Any other companies I should give a look to?

- Part of the issue with the external vest is we wear a dark gray uniform. Not many companies stock this color. Our epaulets and pants stipe is black, so I've thought about a black vest on the gray shirt. Not sure this would look weird though. Anyone have a similar issue with a different color vest compared to their shirt? How does it look?

I appreciate the responses, as my resources are limited to basically the Internet on this topic because there are very few officers in my area with this type of equipment. I've tried basically every duty belt option out to this point to include: The Back Defender, Zero G Plates, TDI Labs comfort pad, Bianchi Ergotek belts, Safariland lightweight velcro belt. All worked to varying degrees but none really eliminated my problem. Finally I got tired of masking the issue with things I could buy and went to my doctor and got the ball rolling. Still addressing the medical issue but the Orthopedic Dr. thinks a load bearing vest will dramatically reduce my problems.

Thanks in advance.
                      I just ordered one through PT Armor, and it will accommodate plates.

They can do one in gray.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10898 users online. 453 members and 10445 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X