300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strion vs Strion HL

Has anybody used either one of these lights? Preferably both.

I currently use a Streamlight Stinger and have a Streamlight TLR-1HL on my duty weapon.
    I want to add a small flashlight to my belt and I like the Strion. I have used small flashlights that take CR-123's but I want something rechargeable and I trust streamlight.

Anybody have an opinion on which of the variants of the Strion is better?

Strion Vs Strion HL

I don't have either one, but a friend of mine is a Strion guy, so I am familiar with them. I would say that given those two choices, I would go with the Strion LED HL. I say that because it looks like its high mode is 500 lumens. When you refer to the other Strion, I assume that you mean the plain Strion LED, not the incandescent version. Also, there is a Strion HPL, but that has a larger head.

Since you are interested in lights, I need to get in my obligatory plug for Candle Power Forums. I have learned a lot about flashlights, batteries, etc on that site. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php A word of warning first, though, many people, including coppers, will go there and post a recommend me a lights for..... In most cases, the suggestions they make won't be lights that you see at galls.com or where ever you like to shop. I was pretty much stuck on lights that charge in a cradle, like Streamlight Stinger LED, Pelican 7060, and Inova T4. Those are great lights and, if I was setting up a fleet of vehicles with chargers in them, I would consider them.

More recently, however, I ahve started to expand my horizons a bit. I found some lights that charge through a micro USB cable, just like many cell phones. I have found the lights to be MUCH brighter than the Stingers, Pelican, and Inova.

You should also know that the folks there prefer to recharge batteries outside of the light with a stand alone charger. I haven't made that jump yet, but I am sure that I will someday.

Since you are taking the time to reseearch things a bit before buying, you owe it to yourself to see what rechargeable lights are out there. I bought some Nitecores recently from Battery Junction. I checked over there quickly and see that there is a Nitecore MH1C that is very small and bright. At $69.95 it is less expensive than the Strions, BUT it does not charge in a crade. It simply uses a micro USB. There may be other brands, too, that would be worth looking at.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-mh1c-smo.html

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=68

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...ass.html?cid=1

Comment

I have the Inova T4.
      I have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Comment

I carry a Strion on my belt as a backup to my Stinger. I have the Strion LED and I like it. It's not too bright that it blinds me using it indoors but it's bright enough to get the job done. I work day shift so it's my go-to light for a lot of situations. I don't think you could go wrong with a Strion.

Comment

I carry a Strion as my primary light source. I got the Strion HL This year after I lost (but later found) my older Strion. Both are excellent. My oldest has seen 4 years of hard night duty use, with no problems or battery loss. The black finish on it is nearly gone from being dropped, thrown, and hard wear, yet the battery life and light output continues to be just as good as new. I charge it once a week.

The HL is noticeably lighter and has a bit of an intense light. I don't need that much light, so I usually step it down by holding the switch for a few seconds. I usually have to charge this light twice a week, due to the increased output. I also use this light as my ad-hoc weapon light, pinching it between my thumb and forefinger in my weapon bearing hand. With the decreased weight, I have no problem shooting and doing reloads with this configuration. Large hands and a small grip allow this, so you may not find this possible.

I highly recommend both lights. You'll never want a larger light again after you see what these little lights are capable of.

Comment

I carried a strion until the switch crapped out. Found their CS to be terrible so I swore off stream light. Picked up a powertac warrior reloaded and never looked back. It's better in every way possible and the CS is top notch.
            In Valor there is hope

Comment

I carry a Strion LED and I couldn't be any happier. It is bright, rechargeable, holds a charge forever, durable and is compact. It is a perfect partner to my SL-20L. I used to not like LEDs because of the tight bluish beam but these two flashlights have really usable white beams.

Also, I've never had to deal with Streamlight's customer service, but if it was poor, I'd jump off to another quality flaslight company in a heartbeat. Service should be their main priority.

Comment

Strion Vs Strion HL

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                I carried a strion until the switch crapped out. Found their CS to be terrible so I swore off stream light.....
                For whatever it is worth, Streamlight does have arrangements with a number of places around the country that can make repairs. I had a switch go bad on a very old Streamlight Stinger. I brought it to the Batteries Plus in Eagan MN. They swapped out the switch and there was no charge to me.

http://m.streamlight.com/en-us/suppo...e-centers.html

Comment

I use the regular Strion on as a compliment to my larger mag-light. It lasts a long time and throws a good beam. It is no where near as bright as some of the newer lights out there, but I often blind my self when indoors with those lights. I would recommend it heavily. Have been using it on nights for the last 3 years and had no problems with mine.
                  ----
                  West Side is the best side or something like that

Comment

I saw the HL yesterday at my local police equipment store. Looks like a good light. I haven't read up on them but they look like they are weapon compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                      Also, there is a Strion HPL, but that has a larger head.
                      I just recently saw the HPL. But I had seen the HP before. The HPL kind of sounds like a good balance but I'm wondering how much larger that head is. I've never seen an Officer have a Strion HP on their belt. I'm kind of wanting a balance between car stop light, and long distance.

That flashlight that you posted is a little too small but the step up is the MH2A and that might be worth checking out. Thanks!

Comment

I got this little guy for $145 Christmas sale:

http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-P1R-B.../dp/B00JYVJ24G

SureFire P1R Peacekeeper

It eats 18650 rechargeables OR CR123's. I love it.
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Strion Vs Strion HL

Sweet! The Surefire name is to flashlights what Motorola is to radios:

You will never get better.

You will never pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                            I got this little guy for $145 Christmas sale:

http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-P1R-B.../dp/B00JYVJ24G

SureFire P1R Peacekeeper

It eats 18650 rechargeables OR CR123's. I love it.
                            Do you have to take the batteries out to charge it?
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                              For whatever it is worth, Streamlight does have arrangements with a number of places around the country that can make repairs. I had a switch go bad on a very old Streamlight Stinger. I brought it to the Batteries Plus in Eagan MN. They swapped out the switch and there was no charge to me.

http://m.streamlight.com/en-us/suppo...e-centers.html
                              Tried that, went to 2 different places who said it looked fine even though it would only click on about half the time.
                              In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4596 users online. 216 members and 4380 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X