300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need radio help.

We use the old Kenwood TK-480 still in our department and we are having trouble finding new ones. Our supply of useable radios is getting quite slim and the place that repairs them is having trouble finding replacement parts and our supplier is having trouble finding new ones as well as accessories (like antennas and remote mics). We've tried a couple different new Kenwoods and Motorolas to find them flimsy with a short battery life. Anyone know of a place to get new ones or a different radio in the 800/900 MHz range that's sturdy with a 16 hour plus battery life that I can suggest we can try? I am not sure of the models we've tested.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Need Radio Help

I am a happy Motorola user. Are you eligible to purchase through some sort of state bid process? If so, I would suggest checking that out first. I really like the Motorola XTS5000 portable radio, but it is no longer manufactured. If you could snap up some new old stock XTS5000s, they would be a great choice. Are you analog or P25?

The Motorola XTS2500 is also a good choice. They were to have stopped manufacturing these about a month ago. See if you can still find some of these in the pipeline and you should be all set.

Finally, the newer Motorola APX line should be considered. They even have an option of dual band, if that would be helpful to you.

As far as battery life goes, I know of some agencies that never seem to replace the batteries. Batteries should be taken out of service when they have exceeded their usable service life for police service.

As far as Kenwoods go, I have used them and suggest that you steer far away from them.

Comment

I have been using the Motorola XTS 5000. They are great radios. Never had any issues with them. Battery life is good. You probably have yo change out the battery every couple of years. You have to do that with every radio out there. Pretty much all the PDs out here use the Motorola XTS 5000.
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

Need Radio Help

Also, since we are discussing batteries, give some consideration to an Impres charger. Wull worth it, in my opinion.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-...MPRES/Chargers

Comment

I'm using a Moto APX 7000 (expensive as hell) with a 2300mAh battery and it has never died on me or needed the battery swapped when on for a whole shift. Although, I have fairly light radio traffic. I believe that they make batteries for it that hold almost twice as much power though.

Comment

We are all analog. We do replace the batteries when they can't make it through a full shift anymore. We've been pretty happy with these Kenwoods, they're much tougher and last a lot longer than the Standards we retired around 10 years ago.
            Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

If the PD wont get new stuff, hit eBay and buy your own. I did that some years ago. As long as it conforms to your freq's, you should be good.

Comment

Need Radio Help

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                .....hit eBay and buy your own.....
                Be very careful about buying a radio on Fleabay. You may want to consider taking at look at BatLabs and P25 Forums first.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/

http://communications.support/

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                  Also, since we are discussing batteries, give some consideration to an Impres charger. Wull worth it, in my opinion.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/US-...MPRES/Chargers
                  ABSOLUTELY.

IMHO, an impres charger is as important as the radio itself. 3 years going, and I've never had my battery drop more than 50% at the end of my shift. I know I could go 20-24 hours without a charge if needed. The charger manages the battery charging, purging, etc. and keeps it at top performance.

Comment

Since our agency isn't supplying car chargers for the new APX 7000 radios we got today, does anyone know if they make an adapter to fit the RLN4884 car charger for the XTS 5000?
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3276 users online. 163 members and 3113 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X