Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karambits

Don't think you need to be LE to post here, but plz flame me if you do lol

Anyways - I am wondering what people (who actually need to use their knives for things other than opening boxes and looking pretty) think about karambits?

united-cutlery-uc2791-honshu-karambit-black-knife.jpg

They have been making a name for themselves in the "tacti-cool" world, I am personally a fan, but what do the professionals think?

Post pics if you have them!

m6-batkerambit.172202514_std.jpg

^^This is awesome but so impractical, and a lawsuit waiting to happen....but prettyyyyyy
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Standard issue for a Klingon warrior, but I have no use for such a thing.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

It's a fighting knife with a complicated martial art designed around it. There are much better knives for fighting if you don't have all the time and dedication for training with it.

A pikal or clinch pik is a simple effective knife for a close in grappling type fight. Is a simple movement using your strongest upper body muscles. You stick it is and pull like your starting a lawn mower. Very dangerous and deadly with very little training. That said its basically useless for anything other than a ground fight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417305515.483791.jpg

Comment

Karambits are cool. If you do silat a lot, or another Filipino martial art. Otherwise they're alien-looking, chrome-plated football bats.
        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Originally posted by TJ_208 View Post
          It's a fighting knife with a complicated martial art designed around it. There are much better knives for fighting if you don't have all the time and dedication for training with it.

A pikal or clinch pik is a simple effective knife for a close in grappling type fight. Is a simple movement using your strongest upper body muscles. You stick it is and pull like your starting a lawn mower. Very dangerous and deadly with very little training. That said its basically useless for anything other than a ground fight.
          You are totally right that there are better knives if you don't have the time for training. Personally, I would go to a Gerber tanto

Warrant-Tanto-Black-Blade-Handle-Camo-Nylon-Sheath_ful.jpg

But the one thing I like about karambits is that it allows you to near instantly extend your range, pull your opponent in, then readjust your grip for close range. With a knife that you have a static grip on, you need to close distance manually, by sliding yourself in, or having your opponent slide in on you.

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
          Standard issue for a Klingon warrior, but I have no use for such a thing.
          Nah man, gotta carry around a Bat'leth

batleth.jpg

Originally posted by SamRudolph View Post
          Karambits are cool. If you do silat a lot, or another Filipino martial art. Otherwise they're alien-looking, chrome-plated football bats.
          I do kali, and thats where I first learned about them. Better love story than twilight for sure, and have spent a good 3~4 months just focusing specifically on karambits. Besides being very lethal, they look awesome
          REINSTATE THE TRIG
          Your logic defies logic
          Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
          This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.

Comment

Isn't the Ka-Bar TDI a cop version of a karambit without the ring?

I've been wanting a karambit for awhile, but worried about carrying one without training as well as that $$$ price tag lol.

Comment

*Again, to preface, I am not a cop. I do not know your training, or your job, so any advice I have on this subject should be taken with that in mind*

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
              Isn't the Ka-Bar TDI a cop version of a karambit without the ring?

I've been wanting a karambit for awhile, but worried about carrying one without training as well as that $$$ price tag lol.
              I am not sure I would call it a karambit (I define a karambit as a curved blade w/ a ring), but I am not sure what I would *technically* class that design as. If I had to use it in a fight, I would be most concerned with the size of the blade, lack of grip available, and narrow useable window. I would also, however, credit it as being able to be drawn fast, concealed well, and retained well (based on sheath design).

Basically, I would call it a back-up knife (which also seems to me how Ka-Bar classes it). It is a small knife, easily concealable, but suffers from a small blade design - meaning more precise cuts to cause real damage - and a very small handle, especially if you are someone with big hands or gloves. I would be most concerned, if I had to use this in a fight, with either slicing my palm with a stabbing motion (poor grip coupled with small handle) or the limited way in which you could hold it (reverse grip would be hard given the tapering of the handle).

This all being said, I am not a cop lol. This is based solely on my own experience in martial arts and combative training, and my
              surface-level observations made from pictures & video of this knife. Ka-Bar is an excellent company with a great reputation, and I would be inclined to trust their products. Talking about overly-expensive karambits though......some eye candy. If you are looking for a cheap, but remarkably well made karambit, check this out (one of my personal favorites, and something I would trust my life too).
              REINSTATE THE TRIG
              Your logic defies logic

Comment

I'll stick to a box opener for opening boxes. Beyond that, baton, OC, taser, 40 caliber, 12 gauge and M4.

My agency gives me no training on using knives. The last thing I want to explain to anyone is why I'm carrying anything that arguably has no legitimate purpose outside of an use of force application.

Comment

I don't claim to be an expert, but here's my opinion.

Karambits are a great knife fighter's knife. You can hook and control your opponent, do great damage, the ring gives it extra retention, you can knuckle dust with it if you wish, you can flail it for extra range in specific situations, it's great for a knifefight. The problem is that you should never bring a knife to a knifefight. If you are going to carry a knife, you need to think about why you are carrying a knife. In what situations would you actually use the knife against another human?

If you picture yourself taking out a knife in a toe to toe fight, then you are probably not considering a practical scenario. You should never bring a knife to a knifefight, you have a gun for that. What if your gun somehow becomes inoperable? Carry a backup. What if it runs out of ammo? Carry more ammo instead of knives.

There are two situations that I am aware of in which knives are effective for law enforcement. Again, I'm no expert, just somebody who carries knifes and has spent a lot of time thinking about this.

The first situation where you might want a knife is for gun retention. Somebody is trying to get your gun while it's holstered. You can't take out a gun because you may help them get access to it. In these situations your goal is probably going to be to create enough distance to use your gun. In these situations your strong hand is probably being used for gun retention, so you are left to deploy a knife with your weak hand in to create distance from somebody attached at your right hip. I'm not sure I'd use a knife in this situation, but I'd say it's a plausible example of when to use a knife.

The other situation in which I would use a knife is if you are in a lethal force situation and you and your attacker are right on top of each other, and you aren't able to separate from them. Pulling out your gun in this situation may have a high risk of it being wrestled away from you before you can use it. If you have a knife in a place where you can deploy it then you have a good chance of using it before they even realize that you have a weapon out.

I'm not delving into the disadvantages to knives in general, but in these two situations a karambit is a poor knife for the job compared to other knives. I'd favor a knife designed for stabbing.

Comment

And a Kabar TDI is not at all a Karambit and not meant to be used the same way. The TDI is made for stabbing while your wrist is in a more neutral position.

Comment

Originally posted by WombatVengeance View Post
                      I'm not delving into the disadvantages to knives in general, but in these two situations a karambit is a poor knife for the job compared to other knives. I'd favor a knife designed for stabbing.
                      I would agree with what you said, and I would also point out that a karambit is hard to use with a non-dominate hand. Can it be done? Sure. But can you be as effective with minimal training? No. This is where a tanto or push knife would come in handy - using your weapon hand to retain while using your offhand to stab the guy.

I can attest that karambits can be used in close range, with the appropriate amount of training. While the blade design favors slashing, it can be used like a claw - in, twist, slash. However, working within the confines of Dept. training, and regulations, this could be an issue. Merlin436 also makes a good point in that karambits are designed almost solely for fighting, and could easily be a liability.
                      REINSTATE THE TRIG
                      Your logic defies logic

Comment

What about this?
                        http://www.theultimateknife.com/fox-...ave-size-m-xl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfO_ZCXNsCA

Its not a true Karambit but I was thinking something like this for edc, gun retention, etc. The website also has the fox karambit which is the other knife I've been wanting.

Comment

Karambits are great if you train in sayoc or other martial arts. I prefer a waved emerson in off hand pocket for the reasons mentioned above. Cheapish and opens as you remove it from your pocket. Love mine. Here's a video of the wave:
                          http://youtu.be/vig1yKKhB90
                          In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
                            What about this?
                            http://www.theultimateknife.com/fox-...ave-size-m-xl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfO_ZCXNsCA

Its not a true Karambit but I was thinking something like this for edc, gun retention, etc. The website also has the fox karambit which is the other knife I've been wanting.
                            I would totally call that a true karambit. Non-straight handle, and a ring - good enough for me lol.

I really like the design of the knife - thin handle, tanto blade, and minimal curve. I am not sure about the wave function, but it has sparked my intrest, so I will look into it (might need to pick one of these up, depending on if it is a "switchblade" or not).
                            REINSTATE THE TRIG
                            Your logic defies logic

Comment

A wave doesn't qualify as a switchblade
                              In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2828 users online. 158 members and 2670 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X