300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather baselayer?

I know there have been several previous threads about this, but products change year to year so I decided NOT to necro a thread.

What do you officers in cold areas use as baselayers or for extra warmth?

I live in an area where the worst part of the winter *may* be 35 degrees. Summer is 100+ with 80% humidity. So when the temp drops below 60 and the humidity drops along with it, I start shivering. literally. I've always worn 2 pair of socks and regular cotton thermals, but sometimes they just don't cut it.

So I've been looking at all this thermal baselayer stuff. Some is pretty pricey. UA makes one that says its infrared, comes in a turtle neck, and is the right color to be worn under my uniform. Anyone use these? Are they really warm? The have the bottoms too - shirts are about $50 and pants about $50.

C9 by Champion is a cheap alternative to Under Armour.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
      C9 by Champion is a cheap alternative to Under Armour.

How warm is it? I mean I seriously get cold....

Comment

I used it on bike patrol during oct - dec and with my bike uniform and jacket had no issues.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

In Michigan it gets cold. Like really cold. I wear a Outdoor Research Wind Pro hat on my head, and for a base layer under my uniform I wear Under Armour Cold Gear or Patagonia thermal in medium weight. On my feet I wear Smart Wool socks, usually in medium crew weight, unless its exceptionally cold then I'll put my extra thick ones on. I don't get crazy with boots unless its like well into the negative temps. Typically I wear Under Armour Speed Freaks and I'm fine. I have several different glove options, all made by Outdoor Research and all conducive to weapon manipulations. You get what you pay for.

I don't usually wear a jacket unless I'll be out of my car for an extended period of time.

Comment

I could spend $50 on a shirt from Under Armour, or get a C9 shirt for like $15 at Target. Plus, it's by Champion, so it's pretty good.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

XGO makes some awesome stuff. I too get very cold very easily (esp in the wind) and their stuff is the best I have found.
              Originally posted by Ceridwen
              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I get the surplus Army cold gear from the local surplus shop. 20$ max for a top and bottom set. Its really thin and athletic, so it doesn't make you feel like a balloon. You can definitely layer on top of them if you need more too.

Never wore my coat last year, even down to -25 degrees. A nice hat, balacava, and staying out of the wind and I'm ok. I tend to embrace the cold, though. If I know I'm going to be out in extremes doing no physical activity, I'll layer with a pair of running tights, then my surplus layer, then my normal clothes or uniform. That got me through a few nights of -30's a few years back.

Staying warm is never about the nice base layer, or good winter coat, its about proper layering. Never spend a lot of money on winter clothing thinking one thing will keep you warn. The danger is your feet, hands, and head. Those will always be the quickest to get cold and bring the rest of you down. Keep those warm and normal shivering in your major muscles can keep you warm and alive. That's another topic though, so I wont bore you.

Comment

Originally posted by MIDWAY View Post
                  Staying warm is never about the nice base layer, or good winter coat, its about proper layering.
                  I couldn't help but chuckle when I read that sentence. So you say that its all about layering, but the base layer isn't important. But its the first layer of the layering process! For us, the base layer is usually the only layer, because our temps are not "that" cold. If we tried to layer like officers in the north do, we'd die!

So I went ahead and bought the Champion C9 from Target, paid 19.99 for the top, 19.99 for the bottom. What I liked was that they come in "levels" -- they have them identified as warm, warmer, and warmest. Because I get cold really easy, I got the "warmest". Its compression so it limits air between the skin and garmet, it wicks sweat nicely, and the "warmest" level is pretty warm. I still think the UA Infrared would be warmer, but this works for now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                    I couldn't help but chuckle when I read that sentence. So you say that its all about layering, but the base layer isn't important. But its the first layer of the layering process! For us, the base layer is usually the only layer, because our temps are not "that" cold. If we tried to layer like officers in the north do, we'd die!

So I went ahead and bought the Champion C9 from Target, paid 19.99 for the top, 19.99 for the bottom. What I liked was that they come in "levels" -- they have them identified as warm, warmer, and warmest. Because I get cold really easy, I got the "warmest". Its compression so it limits air between the skin and garmet, it wicks sweat nicely, and the "warmest" level is pretty warm. I still think the UA Infrared would be warmer, but this works for now. Thanks for the suggestion!
                    You are quite welcome! I still wear them in the winter when I have to work the road!

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I wear Cabela's baselayer stuff. Quite toasty.

Comment

short sleeves or bust. that's what jackets are for. god for bid you get stuck talking to a dementia patient who keeps her house at 78 degrees. ughh

Comment

What about when you have to switch to long sleeves? Our patrol jackets are fine for being outside a little while, but not for prolonged exposure to the cold. So layering helps. There were times that I could just wear the thermals under my uniform and be fine outside or at least cooler in a house with the heat on without my jacket burning me up. Here we have to wear long sleeves Nov - Mar and short sleeves Mar - Nov.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lildep48 View Post
                            short sleeves or bust. that's what jackets are for. god for bid you get stuck talking to a dementia patient who keeps her house at 78 degrees. ughh
                            That doesn't bother me. I love the heat. I would be ok if it were 90 degrees year round! Our policy has us in long sleeves from November to March. April and October are our "optional" months.

Comment

I'd be happy with 65 - 75 year round!

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3198 users online. 175 members and 3023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X