Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Sam Browne belt for security guys ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Sam Browne belt for security guys ?

Hello all,

I am working for a small security agency in the Netherlands

I am looking for new duty belts for our guys, and some of them asked if we could get the US Sam Browne leather belts (the ones on the picture below):

Are those belts only worn by US police officers or also by security guards ?

Do any of the security guys here wear those leather belts, and what are your reasons to wear a leather Sam Browne instead of nylon/cordura belts ??

Here in the Netherlands the nylon Uncle Mikes belts (or similar) are quite common, but our guys think the leather Sam Browne would be pretty cool (seems like a sports sometimes...looking at what kind of stuff they put on their belt sometimes). We do not have guns here in the Netherlands.

Personally I also think the leather Sam Browne looks quite good with a security uniform....but of course comfort and safety come on the first place.

Looking forward to hear your opinions about this !

Yes, some security officers wear leather belts. I think leather belts look better than nylon belts.

Comment

It's all about personal preference, uniformity, and cost.

Personally, I think that leather gear looks more professional than nylon.
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

When I was in security we had leather. Much more professional looking.

Comment

Originally posted by security_rdam View Post
          Are those belts only worn by US police officers or also by security guards ?
          I have seen security people wear belts similar to the one you picked out.
          Do any of the security guys here wear those leather belts, and what are your reasons to wear a leather Sam Browne instead of nylon/cordura belts ??
          I am not a security guy, but quality and appearance are obvious reasons to upgrade to this type of equipment.
          Here in the Netherlands the nylon Uncle Mikes belts (or similar) are quite common, but our guys think the leather Sam Browne would be pretty cool (seems like a sports sometimes...looking at what kind of stuff they put on their belt sometimes).
          It can be like a sport here as well. Due to space limitations (31" waist lol), I pretty much carry only necessities, but try to have everything I need to make my job easier and safer. I try to buy only quality products (such as Sam Browne, Gould and Goodrich, etc.), due to their durability and dependability. If I only have to buy one in ten years, I save money in the long-run.
          We do not have guns here in the Netherlands.
          That gives you more space for other needed equipment or just to let that good looking belt be seen.
          Personally I also think the leather Sam Browne looks quite good with a security uniform....but of course comfort and safety come on the first place.
          Good outlook.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

We do not wear any real weapons on our belts. Rules here for security are very restrictive. On our belt we generally have: flashlight, radio, D-ring, key-holder, leatherman/pocket knife...and some of us still some personal stuff. Maybe the Sam Browne belt is 'overkill' but I still believe it looks very good with uniform, and is definitely more practical than putting stuff on a pants belt.

I suppose this belt was initially designed as a 'gun belt', but do you guys also wear it, for those who don't have a gun ?

If there are any European guys here: any agencies in Europe who are using this sam browne belt, or only used in the US ?

Comment

We do not wear any real weapons on our belts. Rules here for security are very restrictive. On our belt we generally have: flashlight, radio, D-ring, key-holder, leatherman/pocket knife...and some of us still some personal stuff. Maybe the Sam Browne belt is 'overkill' but I still believe it looks very good with uniform, and is definitely more practical than putting stuff on a pants belt.

I suppose this belt was initially designed as a 'gun belt', but do you guys also wear it, for those who don't have a gun ?

If there are any European guys here: any agencies in Europe who are using this sam browne belt, or only used in the US ?
              I worked security for a short time where I only carried a radio, handcuffs, flashlight, and spray. Personally, I think that a good leather belt is even more essential when you have less stuff on your belt, as more of the belt will be seen. Again, that's personal preference.

Edited to add: At my current job, we don't carry anything other than a radio (some have pocket knives). BUT, we wear business attire - dress shoes, dress pants, dress shirt w/ the corporate logo and "corporate security" on the chest. Some of the retired cops that work for me carry a small flashlight.
              Last edited by Aerohead; 11-08-2014, 12:09 PM.
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                I think that a good leather belt is even more essential when you have less stuff on your belt, as more of the belt will be seen.
                So the leather sam browne belt would be appropriate to wear here, also with limited stuff on our belt? (flashlight, radio, key holder, knife etc). Our uniform consists of dark blue tactical pants and light blue uniform shirt or black t-shirt for certain events.

Those belts are worn outside of the belt loops, over regular trouser belt, correct ? And to fix it with those so called belt keepers?

Comment

So the leather sam browne belt would be appropriate to wear here, also with limited stuff on our belt? (flashlight, radio, key holder, knife etc). Our uniform consists of dark blue tactical pants and light blue uniform shirt or black t-shirt for certain events.

Those belts are worn outside of the belt loops, over regular trouser belt, correct ? And to fix it with those so called belt keepers?
                  Yes. You wear an inner garrison belt with the sam brown belt over it held on by belt keepers.

Comment

Thank you guys for your feedback. I think we will go for the leather Sam Browne belt then.

- Does anybody of you maybe know if is possible to buy this belt in Europe ?? Any European guys here maybe wearing this belt?

(If not, we can probably order from the US but it may be a bit more hassle with shipping and customs)

- Which equipment would you recommend to buy with this belt for security staff?

At this moment I am thinking of: pouch for pocket knife/leatherman, key holder, mini maglite holder, D-ring, radio holder, phone case (optional), beltkeepers. (we are not allowed to wear handcuffs and pepperspray here in NL)
                    Anything missing in your opinion ? And how many belt keepers would I normally use ?

Thanks again for your opinions !

Comment

check out Galls.com - they usually have combo deals for belts and other necessary equipment.

Comment

Thanks. I checked out the Galls website and this gives a pretty good overview of available duty gear.

However, does anybody maybe know if there are also shops in Europe (Netherlands, UK, Germany...) that sell those sam browne belts ??
                        (I know this is mainly a US forum...but maybe also some European guys here?)

Comment

We just received our shipment of duty belts from the US....and although we wear only limited equipment, I think those leather belts look really sharp with our uniforms !! Just out of curiousity....are there any other European agencies or (security) officers who wear the US leather police belt ?? Or only in the US ? Do some paramedics and EMT also wear this sam browne belt ? Just had a paramedic asking where we got our belts Seems that here it is all nylon gear now....or the old Dutch police belts (leather), which are much narrower than the US belts, and quite impractical since they were worn inside the belt loops. I think the look of those US police belts is much more attractive and professional !

Comment

Thank you guys for your feedback. I think we will go for the leather Sam Browne belt then.

- Does anybody of you maybe know if is possible to buy this belt in Europe ?? Any European guys here maybe wearing this belt?

(If not, we can probably order from the US but it may be a bit more hassle with shipping and customs)

- Which equipment would you recommend to buy with this belt for security staff?

At this moment I am thinking of: pouch for pocket knife/leatherman, key holder, mini maglite holder, D-ring, radio holder, phone case (optional), beltkeepers. (we are not allowed to wear handcuffs and pepperspray here in NL)
                            Anything missing in your opinion ? And how many belt keepers would I normally use ?

Thanks again for your opinions !

All depends what your function will be. At minimum, you'll need a flashlight (regardless of what shift you work unless you're guarding an open field in the middle of nowhere during daylight hours only). You will also need some type of commo (cell phone, radio, etc). Build the rest of the gear from there based on your primary function and where the security officers will be working.
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

At this moment on our belts we have: key holder, pocket knife, mini-maglite, D-ring for large maglite,radio holder and 4 belt keepers. Those maglites are quite 'old fashioned' but we decided to keep them for a while. Here in the Netherlands as security we are not allowed to carry any weapons (no pepperspray or baton), so the maglite is basically our only tool for 'self defense'. I am still looking for leather pouches for smartphones, since smartphones are an essential tool on our job now.

As far as the belts: we chose the traditional sam browne leather belts with two prong buckle. I think they look very good with our uniforms, even though we are carrying only a few items. Much better look than just a pants belt and I think it makes the uniform complete !

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4396 users online. 276 members and 4120 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X