300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying warm in the cold weather

Unfortunately cold weather is on it's way!

Every year I try something new to help stay warm without wearing a jacket at work but am always looking for new ideas.

No matter what the temperature is outside my undershirt stays wet with sweat. Does anyone else have this problem when it's cold outside? I have asked everyone else I work with if they have this problem and they all say no.

If I could just figure out how to make the shirt stay dry I would definitely not get cold near as often.

Any suggestions or does my body just sweat too much and I need to suck it up?

I made a similar thread a couple years back but figured I could ask again.
    Last edited by Prov1x; 10-20-2014, 01:20 PM.
    yeah!

Dont get out of the car. Problem solved.

Comment

Been long enough since it was cold here that I don't quite remember, but it seems there were a few times my t-shirt was a little damp from sweat. It depends, too, on how much I'm inside when dressed for outside.

Once it gets down into the 50s I generally wear a thermal long-sleeve shirt over my regular t-shirt (both under my body armor) and then a long sleeve uniform shirt. I have worn turtle neck rather than thermal shirts in the past, but sometimes they get uncomfortable on my neck.
      Last edited by chapwolfe; 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM.
      Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
      Among Texas' finest
      Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
      Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
      Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

I have luck wearing UA cold gear under my uniform during the winter keeps me warm but not hot. I don't wear those or thermals until it gets close to freezing.
        Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

I've found that the UA ColdGear compression mock turtleneck works well by itself until it dips below 20.
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Any base layer with a moisture wicking quality will suffice. It will keep it off your skin and prevent heat loss. That being said, you still may notice your shirt a little damp, but I usually only do when I take it off. I cant really tell when I am wearing it.

Comment

I have an advantage of going home for lunch every day so I can dress heavy in the morning and shed some layers at lunch.
              Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
              Among Texas' finest
              Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
              Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
              Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Maybe I'll buy the under armour and try it out this year. I had been using 5.11 in years past.
                yeah!

Comment

When I was on the road we got mock turtlenecks with HDGPD on them, which we could wear, and from 4pm - 8am, officers working could shed the tie that was mandatory with the long sleeves as long as you had a turtleneck on. That being said, from October - Dec (when it starts to get REALLY cold), I just wear t-shirt and body armor under long sleeves with my jacket (no liner). From Dec-Mar, depending on temp, I'd either wear just the t-shirt and armor with long sleeves OR lightweight thermal shirt, t-shirt, and armor, and jacket (with liner).

THat way, once indoors, I can shed the jacket and not overheat. I don't wear the turtleneck because I'd still have to wear the tie and would feel choked.

Being an SRO, I often stand outside during my shift (bus arrival/dismissal, any calls for service outside the school), and when it's really cold and windy, I wear lightweight thermal shirt, t-shirt, long sleeves, jacket with liner, fleece "watch" cap, fleece neck gaiter that I can pull up over my face, thick sheepskin-lined leather winter gloves...and sometimes I wear those Under Armour thermal gloves.
                  Last edited by jchughes05; 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Our new SOP this year states tie, mock turtleneck, or dickie.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

In the words of Sean Connery in The Untouchables; "Stamp your feet".

I'm from the generation that promoted wool, cotton, and recommended layers for wear on hunting trips. I'm still not sold on artificial fibers. UA and the Walmart substitute make me STINK royally! Polypro military long johns are warm, but are pretty bulky and definately not absorbant. I like the Radar O'Rielly wool sweaters cut so they don't show above the uniform shirt neck line. Bulky, but very warm.

Better yet, land a bailiff job til spring!
                      Last edited by KenW.; 10-24-2014, 08:55 PM.
                      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Moisture wicking polypropylene is your friend. I usually switch from t-shirt under shirt to long sleeve when the temps dip below 20 or so. If you are looking for some quality U.S. made clothing check out WSI http://www.wsisports.com/. Their stuff is great and not made in China. Their Heatr material is amazing. I have some Heatr socks, they feel thin but have kept my feet warm in sub zero temps in un-insulated boots.

Comment

I am looking at getting a Commando Sweater for the cold, but I don't know anyone that has any about how good they are
                          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

We issue them here (optional), some guys like them, some don't. I couldn't get mine to fit well and still maintain access to duty rig. So, I turned it back in. I just wear layers and/or Blauer jacket.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I'm the opposite of jchughes05. I LOVE the commando sweater, They are warm and look sharp too. I HATE wearing a jacket. I find jackets get in the way of my equipment. But I like the cold so I will generally wear nothing more than a mock turtleneck or UA Coldgear under my uniform.
                              Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                              To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6434 users online. 372 members and 6062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X