300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass to silver?

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but here goes.

I am changing from my current SO to the local PD. SO required we have brass snaps, PD wants silver. Everything I have is Safariland leather with brass snaps. How can I change the snaps to silver? I am trying to avoid buying everything all over again.
    And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak. That we are all that stands, between the monsters and the weak.

The sorcerers stone can do what you need...

Comment

electroplating:
      (comparatively difficult)
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nushine-Silv.../dp/B00D5TCYT8

or

paste silvering:
      (easier)
      10 gm silver chloride
      20 gm salt
      20 gm cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate)
      enough water to make a usable paste
      scrub the snaps with baking soda and a soft toothbrush and rinse them clean and dry them
      rub paste on cleaned snaps with a piece of leather or cork or a Q-tip
      lacquer them with clear nail polish afterward

or

stripping:
      (easiest)
      (not sure about Safariland snaps -- I think the brass finish is flashed onto nickel plating on the snaps with only the buckles on their leather goods being solid brass -- you can maybe check a worn area to tell)
      EZ-Off oven cleaner will take the brass plating off and expose the nickel plating below it
      use duct tape to isolate the snaps and protect the leather
      apply the EZ-Off with a handi-wipe or something rather than spraying it on directly
      http://www.stylenorth.ca/blog/2011/0...-oven-cleaner/
      then lacquer etc.
      Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 09-11-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Ignore the ridiculous post above. If you're going through the trouble of removing the snaps to electroplate, the obvious solution is to just replace them.

I replaced snaps on my handcuff straps with special "one-way" snaps that only open from one direction. It's easy to do... just drill them out and use a special tool to install. Amazon and other stores sell snaps and the special tools to do it.
        http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-93001-5...+button+chrome
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I agree with Resq14 regarding replacement being a much preferable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
            the obvious solution is to just replace them.
            Ditto that. Boating supply houses sell stainless steel snaps. Back before Velcro, we all started out with silver snaps. As you polished your gear the nickel plating wore off, exposing the brass underneath. Such equipment was described as "salty" or "nicely brassed" and wearing marked you as not a rookie.

Comment

Most any upholstery shop can change the snaps.
              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Dude, if you are in the panhandle of Texas, there are probably leather shops on every corner. They can change them out for you in like 30 minutes, and super cheap. I had to go just the opposite with mine - silver to brass. Found a leather shop and they did all of mine in like 20 minutes and charged me like $10 total.

You could probably get the tools and snaps to do it yourself from tandyleather.com. More expensive that way though. As for skill needed -- if you know how to use a stapler, you know how to put snaps on stuff.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I actually found a shop here that will change them out. But thanks for all the input
                  And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak. That we are all that stands, between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3557 users online. 190 members and 3367 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X