Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External carrier for Point Blank plates?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External carrier for Point Blank plates?

My Chief just instituted a neat policy for uniforms in the summer heat, so I'm on the lookout for an external carrier for my body armor. I can't go with the uniform-type like the Elbeco because we are able to wear black t-shirts underneath them, so that wouldn't look right. Given my plates are Point Blank, this is the only decent one I can find so far - http://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/point...-standard.html - but am looking for more options.

I'd have to add a cloth badge and a nametag, and the one I linked to doesn't look like it has real fitted places for those things. I don't really want the MOLLE set-up so the Oregon type, while great on the tag portions, isn't quite for me. I'm really a fan of the Turtle Tracks vests, but their lead time is 11 weeks right now, so I'm not real keen on that given that I wouldn't get to wear it until next summer. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know given what I'm after, it's kind of a tall order. But any thoughts are appreciated!

The vest man, and AK gear out of Fairbanks AK makes ones like Turtle Tracks. You will have to call them they do not post it on their website that they make external carriers.
    Last edited by dollingers; 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM. Reason: not complete

Comment

My advice: Avoid their outer carrier at all costs, they are seriously lacking in the long term durability area. I had one closer to that style at my previous agency, it was replaced with a custom made carrier by a local uniform supply shop after six months. The Point Blank was already wearing on the inside and begging to rip. The elastic side straps they use began to fray. Fast forward to about a 1.5 years ago. I made the jump to a new agency and because my old custom carrier was blue and the new PD requires black, I had no choice but to go with the PD's newest carrier required by policy: A molle style external from Point Blank. I will admit, Point Blanks quality on this one has been beefed up a bit, but once again they used the same crappy side elastic, which sucks. It's already showing pretty heavy signs of wear there and they still need to beef up the material on the under side of the vest as it is beginning to wear. Countless other officers have been having the same issue. The newer style seems to just take longer to reach that point.

Maybe I'm just picky as I was spoiled by the custom made ones that we have readily available here in AZ. The vests that were coming from Lily and that currently come out of Universal Police Supply are well made. Many of the ones I've seen that you can buy via mail order / online order suck in comparison. They don't fit as well, don't look as good, nor do they seem to be built to last.

Comment

Wearing a T-Shirt as a patrolman is clown shoes.

Turtle Tracks is well worth the wait and they will rush it for a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
          Wearing a T-Shirt as a patrolman is clown shoes.

Turtle Tracks is well worth the wait and they will rush it for a fee.
          I'll pass that along.

And thanks - it's looking like I'll go with Turtle Tracks and have it for next year. Would rather have the right one rather than just any one.

Comment

Hi Guys,
            I am a LEO and own/operate a tactical nylon fabrication business in San Diego. We specialize in custom made vest carriers and have served many agencies and departments. Take a look at our website or email me directly to see if we can help.

Stay Safe,
            John Wilde
            Wilde Custom Gear
            [email protected]
            "We know that not everyone gets a second chance. We do it right the first time."
            A Law Enforcement owned and operated business
            www.wildecustomgear.com

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6199 users online. 323 members and 5876 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X