300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevlar gloves vs Latex gloves

What do you guys wear and carry? I know most MOS use latex gloves, but needles and sharp objects can still penetrate that. Although, you can buy latex gloves into a glove pouch. Kevlar gloves give you more protection from sharp objects. Just curious as what you guys think?

You never know what your next call is going to be, and for that reason, I carry a variation of both. I carry "cut resistant" gloves in my back left pocket and two sets of Nitrile gloves in a glove pouch on my duty belt. I know some officers who have invested in "Cut Resistant/Puncture Resistant" gloves as well, but I've found they weren't practical for my daily application. I just needed something for when it's time to get down and dirty.

One of the most critical things in your post, however, is to NEVER search blindly. Your eyes go before your hands whenever possible, and it's almost always possible.

Comment

^^ Ditto

Always carry both (multiple latex). A good 'form fitting' pair of cut-resistant leather gloves is a must. Good for more than just search protection, too....the first time you wrestle with a POS and have your fingernail ripped off you'll know why.
      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

My "rumble gloves" are a pair of inexpensive synthetic leather gloves. Those go on first. I put the nitrile gloves over the "rumble gloves" when the situation calls for it. Cool thing about the synthetic leather is that it's washable if dirt or other stuff get on them. Others use inexpensive batting gloves. Both provide a level of protection against abrasions and some puncture resistance.

The nitrile gloves go in the trash and if they're still clean, the "rumble gloves" go back into my pocket. If the "rumble gloves get any body fluids on them, they go in the trash as well. Otherwise, I wash them in the washing machine when they get dirty. Carry several pairs of nitrile gloves. A lot of times you get others responding to the scene and they're not carrying any kind of gloves. This way you can help the others responding or remedy a puncture/torn glove.

I avoid the expensive "patrol gloves" regardless of what the manufacturers claim. They're over priced for my application and if they get soiled by body fluids, they're gonna go in the trash.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I carry 3x thick latex gloves and 1x of cheap batting gloves.

Latex gloves go on when I encounter bloody people.

Batting gloves go on when I'm anticipating going hands on with combative people. I try to size them small/just about right so they aren't too loose.

I've found that cut resistant gloves/kevlar gloves etc get in the way of good thorough searches. The chance of missing something as small as a pill/razor etc is higher when I lose the sensitivity in my fingers. If the batting gloves get bodily fluid on them, I rub hand sanitizer all over and shove them back in my pocket.

And of course there are those days where you don't have any time to put any gloves on... (Our dept provides antibacterial hand wipes which I always carry in my pocket).

Also as mentioned above, whenever possible always look before you touch. If you're working mids it'll be hard at first to search someone thoroughly when it's dark outside. I've found that using a smaller flashlight and using it to hold someone's pockets open while simultaneously shinning the light inside works best for being about to see what kind of goodies are inside before I go sticking my paws in there. If you're searching a backpack/purse I'm an advocate of dumping everything out and sorting it after it's been emptied. It's much safer than sticking your hand inside and pulling out each item one by one and it reduces the odds of getting stuck with a needle/knife/razor.
          Last edited by jw1984; 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

^ jw1984 said it all. The leather/kevlar gloves are no good for a search. Just not enough dexterity. The leather gloves are good for many other things though (messing around with broken glass, dealing with a violent subject, messing around with barbed wire, dogs, etc).

When searching I use nitrile gloves. Before reaching into someone's pocket, I do a thorough manipulation from the outside. If there's something that feels suspiciously like a needle, I exercise extra caution. I even have a pair of EMS shears. If the situation warrants it, I will cut the pockets open.

Good call on the purse or backpacks. Just dump it all out on the hood of your car or you could even wait til you get to the sallyport and dump it out on the ground where there's good lighting.

Comment

My doctor just uses latex with a little KY. I'll never get used to it. Oh wait. What were you talking about. Never mind.
              Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2984 users online. 137 members and 2847 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X