300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holster Question

I see alot of leo's saying the like safariland holsters like the 6360 or 6285 etc. Does anyone still use the model 295? It seemed it used to be a popular holster but you don't hear much talk about them anymore. Also, what are your opinions on gould & goodrich holsters? You don't hear much talk about them but from what i've seen they seem to be well built. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by Abit2585 View Post
    I see alot of leo's saying the like safariland holsters like the 6360 or 6285 etc. Does anyone still use the model 295? It seemed it used to be a popular holster but you don't hear much talk about them anymore. Also, what are your opinions on gould & goodrich holsters? You don't hear much talk about them but from what i've seen they seem to be well built. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
    That holster is outdated. Anything with a snap is old technology.

We now have autolocking holsters that are safer and faster.

Comment

My agency recently switched from the 295 in leather/safarilaminate to the 6360 in STX tactical, mainly after a major push from myself and a couple others.

The 295 is a very fast draw holster, but like Tmg said, it's outdated. I had severe concerns about the retention capabilities and the way you draw the holster is unnatural in my opinion, as compared to almost every other holster. The STX finish also holds up 10x better than the leather look, which when new is great but after a year looks like garbage from rubbing on seats and seatbelts and bumping into walls or shooting prone.

Never seen or used a g&g holster. They may very well be great, but in my opinion and experience Safariland is the gold standard of duty holsters.

Comment

I know of a dept. that uses that holster and also one that uses the 070, both as far as I'm concerned are out-dated, poor designs with the current options.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

We had the 295 for our SigSauer pistols until they were discontinued. We then transitioned to the SLS system (sort of OK without a light on the gun, but had the retention of a bucket if you used a weapon-mounted light). We now primarily use the ALS system which is more secure than either of the other holsters and is equally fast. Unfortunately, they don't make an ALS holster for the few officers rolling with a 239.

I don't know if I would consider G&G top of the line, but it seems OK.
          John from Maryland

Comment

I used at 295 at my last department (state agency, so we were only allowed to use what was issued) and it was a super fast draw, but I don't really trust it. Sure it looks good and is used by GSP, NYPD, SCHP, Jacksonville SO, and several others, but anything that unlocks while being pulled to the front by a bad guy is a no-go for me. If I didn't have to worry about a gun grab and just wanted a fast draw, I would use it, but I do so I won't. I use an ALS holster now.
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Does anyone use the Blackhawk Serpa? I love that one.

Comment

I have a serpa that I only use on a range.....I dont like the mechanism for a carry holster. I have seen it both defeated and blocked too many times on video to chance it on the street.

We used the 295's in the academy with G23's, but my agency issues newer style holsters. I think the 295's were probably great in their time, but newer technology has upped the ante so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by pittguy1984 View Post
                  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                  In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
                    I have a serpa that I only use on a range.....I dont like the mechanism for a carry holster. I have seen it both defeated and blocked too many times on video to chance it on the street.

We used the 295's in the academy with G23's, but my agency issues newer style holsters. I think the 295's were probably great in their time, but newer technology has upped the ante so to speak.
                    Are there videos online? We used the level 2 in the academy and I just ordered the level 3, but I'll have to watch those videos and take notes if that's the case.

Comment

I'm plain clothes, but my uniform duty belt has one for my Glock 23. Well over 90% of the officers in my agency use them.......which really doesn't mean anything other than the Serpa was their personal choice since we purchase everything but our badge and uniforms.

I know the downsides of the holster design, but I still think it is the fastest drawing holster I've ever drawn from. I've had a few different brands and tried different designs over the years with my 9 duty weapons, and so far, I'm happiest with the Serpa.

I have a plain clothes Serpa for my H&K P2000, but I have a locally made leather holster for my Glock, which I carry most. I'm not trying to sell anyone on the Serpa, but I just don't want it to be discounted as an overall failure, which I don't believe it is. Safariland makes good holsters, which I may go to again when the time comes.

Comment

Are there videos online? We used the level 2 in the academy and I just ordered the level 3, but I'll have to watch those videos and take notes if that's the case.
                        Here's the level 3:
                        http://youtu.be/bv1WLkKZSNE
                        In Valor there is hope

Comment

My department still uses the 290 holster (295 is the same holster, just with a 1 inch drop). I used the 290 when I started. When the 6360 came out, I got one, and never looked back. The 6360 (ALS) is a better holster and just as fast, maybe faster then the 290. The 6360 secures the weapon in the holster a lot better then the 290. I agree with Tmg completely.
                          I had a Gould and Goodrich holster once. It is an all leather holster. I was introduced to Safariland and I never looked back. G&G holsters are good. I liked mine, but it was all leather, there was a break in time, and a little heavier then my Safariland holster I started using at the time. This was back in 1999. They might have changed things up. Like I said before, I was introduced to Safariland and never looked back.
                          "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

I had a few Serpa holsters once. I got ride of them. I got the level 3 to try out. I hated it. I like my ALS holster a lot better. Plus, I could use my X300 with the ALS. There is to much that could go wrong with the Serpa. If I could help it, I will never own another one again.
                            "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

I probably would have bought a Safariland, but I was issued a Serpa. Haven't been able to defeat it, but I am aware of the blocking issue. I've dragged my feet on replacing it because it's just so darn FAST.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2578 users online. 138 members and 2440 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X