Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative carry methods for handheld portable radios?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative carry methods for handheld portable radios?

What are some alternatives to the traditional duty belt mounted handheld radio holder?

In my current situation, I seldom carry a portable radio. Most times I simply do not need one. Rarely though, I do...and that's an issue to me. My duty belt is largely full and installing a radio carrier on my belt that would be seldom used would crowd an already full set-up. I'm looking for other viable options beside belt carry.

I was particularly thinking of a drop leg rig set up with a radio holder…if such an option was a tried and tested method of radio carriage. The problem is…I’ve never seen that particular setup. I’ve seen plenty of other items carried in the drop leg fashion…but never a radio.

So...is drop leg radio carriage a method that's more or less “mainstream” and acceptable? Also, what other alternative methods of radio carriage are out there that I’m overlooking?

Thanks,
    Mer.

I imagine it would make running a bit awkward
    "Judge's comment's for precedent are Blue by Day White by Knight. Common battery signals are as follows chuck, kluck, pencil, eraser and ink. The most common signal is Tinkerbell." - gabrielnzion's crazy ramblings

Comment

I wouldn't put your radio on a drop leg holster. What all do you have on your belt that makes it "too busy" for a radio?

Your problem sounds more like you're carrying too much other stuff, no that your radio is too big.

Comment

We have equipment vests with webbing that a radio pouch can be attached to. Of course that's a bit hard if you aren't issued with a similar type of vest.

Comment

I insert mine in my butt. The only draw back is when I sneeze or cough my emergency button goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramrod711 View Post
            I imagine it would make running a bit awkward
            I'm a Customs Officer. I almost exclusively work cargo.
            I'm highly unlikely to have to run after anything.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              I'm a Customs Officer. I almost exclusively work cargo.
              I'm highly unlikely to have to run after anything.
              Then why don't you just put in on your belt like 99% of the LE world? What is your belt so full of that you can't carry a radio? I'm not being snarky; it's a serious question. How does everyone else carry their portable?
              Last edited by just joe; 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                I wouldn't put your radio on a drop leg holster. What all do you have on your belt that makes it "too busy" for a radio?

Your problem sounds more like you're carrying too much other stuff, no that your radio is too big.
                In rough order:

Double magazine
                Leatherman
                cuff key
                baton
                OC
                flashlight
                rear cuffs
                latex glove holder
                gun
                radiation detector
                front cuffs

I could fit it in towards the small-of-the-back, but here's the thing...I use the radio maybe 6-10 times a year, and usually not for a full shift. Everything on my belt currently I either use far more often, is mandated, or has a higher priority than a radio. I really don't want to risk injury by placing a radio up against my spine and I'd like something which wouldn't get intertangled with my belt, muscle memory, etc.

I figured the drop leg solution would make for a more "easy on-easy off" fix for a problem that only pops up during maybe 5% of my shifts.

Comment

How about putting it in or clipping it to your pants pocket?

Comment

I had a flashlight pocket sewn into all my pants. I found it also works well for a clip point for a radio. When I work at the school they have their own radios so i just take my light out and clip their radio to that pocket. Another option may be cargo pockets?
                    In Valor there is hope

Comment

I could stick it in a cargo pocket. That's what I do currently. That, or a jacket pocket.

I'm just curious if there's a better, "more professional looking" solution than that.

Comment

My agency issues drop leg rigs as an option for holsters and I see some people clipping radios onto the rig, both with and without the handset. For what it's worth it looks pretty uncomfortable to me. I wore a thigh rig for a while but found them irritating to wear because of the weird feeling of having the weight on your leg and the rig moving your pants around your leg and the straps digging into your skin.

I'd rather stick the radio in a pocket.

Comment

Consolidate your cuffs into a double cuff case on the front of your belt. That keeps you from reaching behind you for cuffs and opens up a spot for your radio.

You're welcome.
                          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

My first thought is to go with a double cuff case.

Comment

How big is your waist? You are carrying far less than I am an I still have room for my radio and Taser. Have you considered moving your radiation detector to your shirt lapel? How about moving the cuff key to a pocket?

Without seeing you duty belt I'm at a loss for why you can't fit a radio. Mine always rides around the 8 oclock position (right handed shooter)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3835 users online. 248 members and 3587 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X