300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Gear Choice?

Ok, I searched around and didn't see anything that really matched what I'm looking for.

Short story, I'm new to LE and I've been to court, but it's always been while I'm on duty in uniform. I know a LOT of LEO's prefer to go in a suite, so my question relates to that.

When going to court off-duty, what do you carry on your person? Gun, extra mag, cuffs, badge holder (on belt), one of the above, all of the above, or something else? It seems like most the people I see just wear their gun, and nothing else. Is this common in your experience? What about special details, functions, or training, do you wear the same gear, add more/less, or change it?

Thanks!

Gun and badge only for me; bailiffs here are sworn deputies and have cuffs, they're responsible for taking persons into custody. One or two in the courtroom are armed, the rest have other options.

Unless the gunfight is directed at me, no reason to have extra mag. Besides, our courts have dozens of on-duty/uniforms there at any given time. Better to let them handle most things than to risk blue on blue confrontations. But, we're a big city, YMMV

I rarely worked details. Whenever I did, it was uniformed and full battle gear. Vest, extra mags, cuffs, flashlights, etc

Comment

Court = full uniform
      In Valor there is hope

Comment

In my agency off duty, you are required to concealed carry authorized gun, one spare mag, restraint, ID & badge.
        On duty not in uniform, you have to open carry (except special situation) your duty gun, one spare mag, duty handcuff, ID & badge.
        When you go to court, you have to leave your gun at the check point unless you are in full uniform.

Comment

For Court:
          Gun, spare mag, handcuffs, badge around my neck with a polo shirt that says "POLICE"
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
          (")_(")
          Copy and paste Bunny into your
          signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. Keep them coming, it's interesting to see what different agencies allow/require and what people choose.

Comment

Full uniform. I would never check my gun in. They can try and pry it off me but it won't happen

Comment

Glock 27 in a belt holster, concealed under a suit. If I want other force options I'll leave it up to the uniformed deputies in court security.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by OHbuck15 View Post
                  Full uniform. I would never check my gun in. They can try and pry it off me but it won't happen
                  Then you might be missing your appearance in court and have to explain to the judge why you weren't there.

How long have you been sworn?
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    Then you might be missing your appearance in court and have to explain to the judge why you weren't there.

Must be a California thing...ALL cops in Ohio that I've seen, including myself, are armed while in court, whether they are in a suit or uniform, does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post

You dont have your gun in court?? There is no way I would ever go to court without my gun or everything else on my belt. Sure would be a ****ty feeling running into a family member of a guy you arrested with only your badge around your neck and a polo shirt that says police.
                      In Valor there is hope

Comment

No, I am always armed in court. All off-duty officers in California are allowed to be armed in court, except at federal courts. The rookie posted that he would not check his gun in, presumably at a courthouse that would require it, and would not cooperate with their procedures.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                          You dont have your gun in court?? There is no way I would ever go to court without my gun or everything else on my belt. Sure would be a ****ty feeling running into a family member of a guy you arrested with only your badge around your neck and a polo shirt that says police.
                          I wear a suit to court, except for those rare appearances that happen during my shift.

Comment

We have to wear our Class A's. Ugly wool with lots of shiny things.

I hate court.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                              Court = full uniform
                              Unless you're a detective, that's the standard.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2276 users online. 132 members and 2144 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X