300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The keyring, so simple yet what should I select

I graduate in one month from the academy. We are allowed to arrange our duty belts as we prefer, but since we do not have vehicle keys at the moment, I've not added a keyring or a key holder of any kind.

I've seen one by Safariland that holds the keys in a leather wrap to keep them quiet. I've seen others where the keys are on an S-shaped hook or something similar. We are given 2 sets of keys for the car we are assigned for the day. Being a "rookie" I don't want to be the guy who looses the car keys and accessing anything in my pockets is really difficult due to equipment placement.

So I'm interested in what you are using. I've done some searching but most of the "ring" searches on here go to flashlight carry-rings, etc. Would you mind sharing your preferred way to carry not only your backup set of keys, but ale how you secure your primary keys when you are out of the vehicle.

Thanks,
    Rodeman

My personal keys are in my bag, one squad key is always in the ignition, my other squad key shares a ring with a long handcuff key. This key sits in a "key keeper." Those are all my keys..
    In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
      My personal keys are in my bag, one squad key is always in the ignition, my other squad key shares a ring with a long handcuff key. This key sits in a "key keeper." Those are all my keys..
      I too keep one in the ignition and the other one on my belt in a keeper that doubles as a key holder, which I think is the same thing SCSU74 is talking about.

Looks something like this:

I got mine at GT Distributors. I imagine most cop stores would have one.

As for handcuff key, mine is like a pen and clips in my shirt pocket. Those are the only two keys I need to access in a hurry. I have a few other keys for other crap I rarely use in one of those wrap around things on my belt.
      Last edited by adeutch; 06-25-2013, 03:17 AM.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

I used to use the Bianchi key holder. (Basically a belt keeper that has a plastic clip stitched to it). I then discovered the Zak Tools key keeper. The all metal design is very well constructed and works well for me.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was not a fan of adding the wrap around keyring to my belt. I have enough stuff on there as it is, but i guess it depends how big that silent one is. And I agree, all personal keys are going in my duty bag in the car plus one key in the ignition (that's something I'll have to get use).

I do like the zak tool key ring as it's all metal. But I was worried about the keys jingling. We have key fobs for most of our cars now but that can still jingle with another key hanging next to it.

Appreciate the input. We'll see if anyone else has thoughts and like everything, I'll probably have to try a couple of things.

Comment

I use the Tactical Keyeing Holder. It's a good piece of gear. A few guys on my shift use them as we'll.

As far as being silent, I'm not too concerned. I've got enough other crap on my belt making noise. Some guys tuck there keys up under there belt while the ring is hooked onto the Keyeing holder. The. It's quiet.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Welcome to the team!!

I carry mine at my 5 o'clock(above rear pocket) on a Maxpedition keyper, http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/KEYPER-p203.htm on there I have a Streamlight handcuff key light and squad keys. I clip everything on the ring then put it in my backpocket to keep everything quite.

Unrelated, everyone is spot on when they say get a pen style handcuff key. You will use that 99% of the time, but ALWAYS have at least 2 keys.
              “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
              ― Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                I too keep one in the ignition and the other one on my belt in a keeper that doubles as a key holder, which I think is the same thing SCSU74 is talking about.

Looks something like this:

I got mine at GT Distributors. I imagine most cop stores would have one.

As for handcuff key, mine is like a pen and clips in my shirt pocket. Those are the only two keys I need to access in a hurry. I have a few other keys for other crap I rarely use in one of those wrap around things on my belt.
                That's the one.
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

I keep my keys behind my gun. I know we few guys to that. The keys go in their back packet if they key ring is long enough. I use the Zak Took key ring tactical key ring and a nylon key rap. It works for me.
                  "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

Patrol car keys are kept on a belt keeper. Handcuff key (primary) is kept on another belt keeper. Serves the same purpose as a key holder without spending them money on extra equipment.
                    1*

Comment

Another vote for this (I don't use the screw link ring though, just a medium size split ring)

All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                        Another vote for this (I don't use the screw link ring though, just a medium size split ring)

Those work awesome with drop leg attachments. I use 2 on my belt
                        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                          Those work awesome with drop leg attachments. I use 2 on my belt
                          Clever... what connector is on the webbing that fits into the clip?
                          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I also use the ZAK tool, it's great! I just use a regular circle ring instead of that dumb black clip-thing.

I put the key to the PD, my little VPN log-on key, my ASP handcuff key, and my spare car key all on the same ring, all in front of my gun. I leave the other keys in the ignition in the cruiser. I'm also not worried about noise...my keys jingle and make a lot of noise, but I usually try to keep them tucked into the pocket. I know it drives some people crazy but I have stuff on my belt like my baton that makes noise when I walk so IMO, it's not that big of a deal.

If I need to be quiet, I'll take the keys off and stick them in my pocket.

Comment

The ZAK tool is awesome. I've fooled with the others, but have found it works good and you can stash the keys or hold them with support hand if noise is really that big of a concern. I only keep my spare key on there so it's quiet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4106 users online. 235 members and 3871 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X