Putting together trauma kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting together trauma kit

Hello, I am currently going through first responder training in my police academy and I want to start putting together a field trauma kit. I have seen some similar posts in the past but could not find them when searching. I would like something in a pocket such as a CAT tourniquet. (I read about that in the past) What else should I carry on me that would be small?

besides the stuff for a pocket, I would like a bigger kit to keep in the car. What type of items should I get together in a kit? I am not familiar with all the products out there and would appreciate some help. Are there any pre assembled kits that I should get aimed at LEOs for shootings, stab wounds etc......

My personal kit in my pocket is a cat tourn, vacuum sealed quik clot gauze, vacuum sealed z pack gauze, all packed inside a plastic bag which doubles a a chest seal. Total cost around $70. If you wan to go cheaper swat t tourn is a good alt to cat and is only around $10. If you can go to alerrt level 2 they give you kit w/ everything you need total kit is worth about $125

For your car I would stay away from pre packaged kits as they are generally way over priced. Chinook med is a good place to buy supplies. I recommend getting a few tourniquests, packing gauze i prefer z pack, a few pressure dressings i prefer Israeli but olean are really good as well, set of med shears, some tape duct or otherwise, and a nasal airway or two if you are trained w/those. I spent around $200 total and that was enough for pocket kit, bail out bag kit, and med pouch on plate carrier
    Last edited by SCSU74; 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM.
    In Valor there is hope

Comment

I got my stuff from BoundTree Medical.

Israeli Bandage
      Quik Clot
      Z Pack Gauze
      Asherman Chest Seal
      Trauma Shears

Comment

You can get a pre-made kit here, or build one up a-la-carte:

https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/store/index.php

Our officers are issued the DOK w/QC gauze.

Under accessories, they have an ankle holster for a TQ that is pretty nifty.
        "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

Which gen sof t are in the dok's? The one I have is very hard to apply one handed. I believe the gen 1's with the screw down on the buckle are much easier
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

I would consult w/ a dialed -in local medic before dropping any cansh. Also, I would advise to first assemble an IFAK then go from there.

I am fortunate enough that the local hospital-run EMS agency conducts this training and provides jump bags to those that complete the first responder training, inaddition to issuing IFAK's to all of our officers.

Comment

Most first responder classes cover only the basics. I haven't found one yet that went in depth into trauma management and ballistic wound care. Before you buy anything, get some training. Go to a class where you can actually get some hands on time with the equipment and see what works for you. Also, keep in mind medical training is like any other training, failure to conduct ongoing/sustainment training breads atrophy.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                Most first responder classes cover only the basics. I haven't found one yet that went in depth into trauma management and ballistic wound care. Before you buy anything, get some training. Go to a class where you can actually get some hands on time with the equipment and see what works for you. Also, keep in mind medical training is like any other training, failure to conduct ongoing/sustainment training breads atrophy.
                Couldn't agree more. I highly recommend alerrt level 2. They do a great job of teaching wound care and evacuation in a mass casualty incident. The first day is classroom stuff that covers proper tourniquet use, wound packing, pressure bandages and other basic topics. Day 2 is sim round scenarios w/ active shooters followed by medical care for the wounded Some of the scenarios were very realistic with spurting blood from wounds and variety of others that needed to be treated. The class is free and at the end they give you a med kit w/ cat tourniquet, qc gauze, shears, olean bandage, tape, and gloves. Was very impressed, it far surpassed the 10 hr training we received from our pd

Www.alerrt.org
                Last edited by SCSU74; 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM.
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

I agree with taking some classes first. That way you learn what to carry and how to use it. So you're not buying a kit and putting it in service without knowing how to use the stuff inside it.

Also is this kit for you and you only or is it for anyone injured you come across? If it is for you then I would recommend going to your chief and having everyone get a kit and finding a standard place in the patrol vehicle to put it. The EMS service that I work for used to teach the tactical medicine and give out kits to the local police departments. We would recommend the kits be placed inside the pocket on the driver side door. That way if an officer was injured he/she could at least crawl to the door and get access to the kit.

Comment

Any thoughts on the mil-spec IFAK for personal use by police officers?

Basically, I want something on my patrol bag for use on me or my partner. I carry a tourniquet now, but I want to get some more stuff. Nothing big, something to grab quick and "stop the bleeding, start the breathing" kinda thing. Thoughts?
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                      Any thoughts on the mil-spec IFAK for personal use by police officers?

Basically, I want something on my patrol bag for use on me or my partner. I carry a tourniquet now, but I want to get some more stuff. Nothing big, something to grab quick and "stop the bleeding, start the breathing" kinda thing. Thoughts?
                      6.6 Med Pouch | MOLLE Pouches | 5.11 Tactical

this is the one we were given at ALERRT. I like it a lot. It holds; shears, Olaes bandage, qc gauze x 2, nasal airway, chest seal, gloves, tape, and swat t tourn. I also have a seperate kit in my 5.11 push pack. The med pouch is nice because it has molle attachments that snap, currently i have it snapped onto my push pack. The push pack also has an area for another pistol and a bunch of mags so that is nice.

If you are looking for a kit to be carried on you i would just recommend making a pocket kit, tourniquet, qc, and maybe some z pak gauze in a plastic bag is really all you need on your person.

Here is a good thread talking about the same thing;

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-95595.html
                      In Valor there is hope

Comment

This guy rides on my plate carrier. It is attached with "Molly Stix" so it can drop free from the carrier. Very slick.

I also carry on my duty belt a Maxpedition pouch with:
                        - TQ
                        - Pressure dressing
                        - QC Combat Gauze
                        - Chest seals
                        sigpic
                        A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post

This guy rides on my plate carrier. It is attached with "Molly Stix" so it can drop free from the carrier. Very slick.

I also carry on my duty belt a Maxpedition pouch with:
                            - TQ
                            - Pressure dressing
                            - QC Combat Gauze
                            - Chest seals
                            Which maxpedition pouch? Trying to find a smallish kit for belt
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                              Which maxpedition pouch? Trying to find a smallish kit for belt
                              Maxpedition M2

The "pressure dressing" is a SWAT-T. Not ideal, but enough to put pressure on packed Combat Gauze.
                              sigpic
                              A L L G A V E S O M E,  B U T S O M E G A V E A L L

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6787 users online. 243 members and 6544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X