Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me some Long Lasting/Durable LEO Gear (NOT LEATHER)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some Long Lasting/Durable LEO Gear (NOT LEATHER)

So after 9+yrs in the federal LEO system where everything was provided to us (lowest bidder/cheapest gear possible) I found myself laid off at the end of last year and was able to get into a TCLEOSE academy this past February (graduate in OCT). That said Most all the departments around here that I am interested in do not supply duty gear (other than ballistic vest & uniforms or allowance for same) and all are pretty lenient on type of gear. I do not want leather as I am accustomed to and like the look of Black web/nylon gear better (personal choice - nothing against leather its great gear). I also do not care for Uncle Mikes or much of Blackhawk's gear (outside of their Serpa holsters). All other brands are on the table. I am willing to pay for good gear that will last vs cheapest gear out there...broken enough of the cheap stuff (reads: uncle mikes/blackhawk) on the job to know not to buy junk.

So Give me some recommendations and please if possible why and how long you have used it.
    Last edited by JEFFSGTP; 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Dear Mr. Borelli (Site Admin), PRESS HARD 4 COPIES, HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

I think most all would agree that Bianchi makes good stuff. I've only had experience with their nylon and although while it isn't cheap it is nice stuff. I've read nothing but good about the Accumold Elite (leather looking stuff) on this website.
    Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 05-25-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I have had the same gear for about 10 years now and still looks good. www.nylonwebgear.com
      If it gets dirty just put it in the dishwasher. Only thing I have had to replace was a key keeper as the velcro gave out. The owner is great and will make anything custom you would need for a fair price.

Comment

Agree with ArkansasFan. I too have Bianchi and it has lasted me a year, but be aware that it does wear and you will have to replace it within about a year and a half. I too was laid off from my LEO job but as soon as I get hired im buying the ASP handcuffs along with their holsters.

I too carry a level 3 serpa holster, watch out for the anti serpa monsters, as soon as they see that you like serpa holsters they will jump all over you and tell you how there's so many problems with them. The first thing they will tell you is to watch the youtube video of the guy smashing snow into the serpa holsters and the locking mechanism failing. Ive carried my level 3 combo light holster for a year and never had any problems with that. I work in the city. Second, they will tell you about its not a good thing to use your trigger finger to unholster the weapon even if your trigger finger slides directly into the indexing position which is what it does if you have ever used one. Ive been to a few tactical handgun classes and I had faster draw than most and never gave me any problems. But just giving you a heads up.

Comment

Bianchi nylon gear. years.

Safariland 6360 holster. years.
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Thanks guys for the info...I was actually leaning towards Bianchi over safariland...I had seen the link to K&W on another forum, but didn't read anywhere about its durability etc...so thank-you for that...I may give them a call if they don't get their new catalog posted for download soon.

I do have one question...does anyone have any experience on what the difference is between Bianchi's accumold and ergoTek belt/gear is...and is it really worth the added cost? $70+ for a belt seems to border on excessive even for a good (non-leather) belt.

And yeah being laid off sucks...Man do I miss the patrol car :-( But at least things worked out so I could get into an academy and get my certification/license.

Oh and YEAH...know all about the KYDEX SUCKS, SERPA HOLSTERS SUCK, ETC...all I have to say to that, is The only guy in our class with a Serpa holster was also the only one who could consistently draw his weapon and shoot (simulated) a suspect from 21ft who suddenly "attacks/agresses" the officer with a knife. I have used other level 2 & 3 holsters most by required department policy but SERPA Lvl-3 is what I will choose to use if the choice is mine.
            Last edited by JEFFSGTP; 05-26-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Well, reaction time, unholstering, etc. isn't entirely based on holsters and skill. There's some physiology (nerve transmission, motor unit recruitment, etc) and biomechanics involved. The fastest draw in my department was the smallest man with these short, little T. rex arms. Think about that.

Comment

+1 for Bianchi Accumold and Safariland 6360 (or 6280).
                "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I think Safariland owns Bianchi now.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    I think Safariland owns Bianchi now.
                    They do... Safariland owns a bunch of companies now.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD View Post
                      They do... Safariland owns a bunch of companies now.
                      There are several product lines that is owned by BAE which bought out Armor Holdings which bought out...well, you get the idea.

http://www.armorholdings.com/Product...s/default.aspx
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFSGTP View Post

I do have one question...does anyone have any experience on what the difference is between Bianchi's accumold and ergoTek belt/gear is...and is it really worth the added cost? $70+ for a belt seems to border on excessive even for a good (non-leather) belt.
                        The accumold is the standard nylon duty belt. it is what I wear. it is VERY durable. it has a velcro inside to adhere to your inner belt. It is a top notch belt I would hightly recomend.
                        The ERGOTECK model is the exact same belt only it has a thick layer of padding on the inside of the belt. It is suppose to help distribute the load of the gear onto the belt and your waist. It is probably more of a benefit to skinnier guys. I plan on ordering it within the next month or so. One of our Sgt's has this belt and his is a thinner guy and he said it is wonderfull cause it keeps his hips from getting sore from holding up the belt

Comment

Ah, ok, thank you...I am not a short or skinny guy so I think I will pass on the ergoteck gear.

Comment

Bianchi or Safariland nylon belt and Safariland STX tactical Pouches. You can't go wrong with the STX tactical. It looks like nylon but is tough as nails. It will last years longer then nylon or leather and doesn't get dirty/scratched up.

Comment

+1 for Bianchi Accumold web gear. When I started my job it was standard issue in the academy. It will last years under harsh conditions. It is worth the money.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6348 users online. 363 members and 5985 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X