300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Radio

Our issue portable radio's are crap, and I've been thinking of buying my own for about a year. The other day, I was responding to a fight in progress at one of our local flea bag motels and when I got out of the car, my radio fell off my belt and stayed on the driver seat. Needless to say, when a suspect began resisting and backup hadn't arrived yet, I had no radio. So now I'm on the market for a portable, and was wondering what everyone else carries. I don't want anything fancy, just reliable and simple to use.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Motorola. If you post some more details we might be able to post a specific model or two.

Comment

Do you need a UHF or VHF, digital or not? Ect

We use the Motorola XTS 2500 in 700mhz, though a 1500 seems to work just as well (I don't use the screen and all the other do-dads). They are crystal clear (though it's either all or nothing) They run well over $1200 each.

If you are looking for an older non P25 radios, I've always liked the Motorola HT1000. Pretty reliable, though range leaves something to be desired. Get them pretty cheap on ebay

Comment

Yes, UHF, VHF or Digital would help.

If it's UHF, I have a Motorola MT2000 I could probably get to you pretty cheap.

I currently use a Kenwood TK-390 (UHF) and have no real complaints about it. I wasn't a big Kenwood fan at first, but I'm warming up to them.
        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

I'll have to check.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
            Do you need a UHF or VHF, digital or not? Ect

We use the Motorola XTS 2500 in 700mhz, though a 1500 seems to work just as well (I don't use the screen and all the other do-dads). They are crystal clear (though it's either all or nothing) They run well over $1200 each.

If you are looking for an older non P25 radios, I've always liked the Motorola HT1000. Pretty reliable, though range leaves something to be desired. Get them pretty cheap on ebay
            Personally, using the 1500 myself, I would go with the 2500. Unless you are able to memorize all 45 or so channels, it's nice having the screen to display the name of the channel in the event that you need to go to a channel that you don't use on a regular basis.

Comment

We use Motorola XTS5000 and I've never had a problem with it. Has 20 channels for each side of town; Main air, pic, talk 1, talk 2, then a bunch of random other channels for swat, events and whatnot
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Our Motorolas have to be office-owned to use the trunked UHF system. They have 16 zones of 16 channels each that cover our area, cities, counties, state, event channels, ops channels, and MORE.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                  Personally, using the 1500 myself, I would go with the 2500. Unless you are able to memorize all 45 or so channels, it's nice having the screen to display the name of the channel in the event that you need to go to a channel that you don't use on a regular basis.
                  I definitely can see that point. My PD regularly only uses five channels (Dispatch primary, dispatch secondary, our car to car and car to car channels for bordering PDs that we work closely with). But we do have dozens of channels programmed into the radios (everything from state stuff to TAC to other cities dispatch, ect)

With all that in mind, I've only had to hit up the other freqs maybe once or twice. So if I was spending my money, I'd go cheap and just carry a list.

But you did make a valid point.

Comment

I did a little research, and I guess I'm looking for a VHF radio. I don't really need alot of channels: county 911, Troop, car to car, and inter-agency.

Comment

Motorola makes different frequency splits for their radios. If you could specify one of the frequencies for the channels you specified that would be great.

I recommend purchasing a Motorola XTS 3000 model 3 (keypad and screen) radio. You can usually find them without P25/encryption for less than $500.

If that's too expensive, you should look into purchasing a Motorola HT1250:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-VHF-HT1...item2310d86787

Comment

fwiw: I prefer the Kenwood TK-2180 to the /\/\ HT1250.
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                          my radio fell off my belt and stayed on the driver seat. Needless to say, when a suspect began resisting and backup hadn't arrived yet, I had no radio. .
                          Sounds like a Radio Holster Issue to me....

Not saying the radios may not suck - but the fact it was not on your belt when needed as nothing to do with the operation of the radio as it is the retention of the holster it was in.....
                          There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by halfacop View Post
                            Sounds like a Radio Holster Issue to me....

Not saying the radios may not suck - but the fact it was not on your belt when needed as nothing to do with the operation of the radio as it is the retention of the holster it was in.....
                            Radio holster??? what would that be Not only are our radios from the 80's we don't have enough holsters to go with them......so I use a busted radio clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                              I recommend purchasing a Motorola XTS 3000 model 3 (keypad and screen) radio. You can usually find them without P25/encryption for less than $500.

If that's too expensive, you should look into purchasing a Motorola HT1250:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-VHF-HT1...item2310d86787
                              I looked at a used Motorola for about $400, I can't remember the model #, but it looked similar.

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                              fwiw: I prefer the Kenwood TK-2180 to the /\/\ HT1250.
                              The local dealer gave me some brochures for Kenwood TK-2170 and 2160's. They look like nice radio's but they want some serious cash.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5907 users online. 327 members and 5580 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X