300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" vs. 8" Duty Boots for Summer

I was going to get some new boots to use when I get out of the academy, and I've been looking at 5" boots at a more comfortable option for warmer temperatures. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to 5" boots compared to 8" boots that I should consider?

In winter I use 8" Bates Gore Tex boots. Super comfortable, dry, and warm. They are too much for summer though.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

I honestly don't notice the difference between 5" and 8". I started the academy with 6", and just recently bought a pair of 8" just as it's getting warmer. I have the basic bottom of the line Bates 8" boots with the side zipper, and I never give them a second thought as far as heat or anything like that. We'll see if they hold up through the rest of the academy.
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

I've always worn 8" and never really noticed that my feet were hot. But of course everything is hot in Tx. during the summer. My new Under Armour boots seem to breathe pretty well, better than my Bates that I wore before, and are so much lighter and more comfortable.

Comment

Nice thin pair of socks under my 8" Danner Pursuits worked great all summer, to upgrade for the winter I only changed my socks .

Comment

If they're authorized for the uniform, the Rocky Eliminator 2's are a great boot. Breathable thanks to the Goretex. Water resistant (is anything really water proof?), "blood borne pathogen proof" for those days when you're ankle deep in gore, insulated (in the TX summer, insulating down to body temp IS cooler than the outside...).

Have held up well for many years of rough use. I like the synthetic uppers for endurance riding (motorcycles) but the all leather is an option if it's a uniform requirement.

Google shopping search results

http://www.google.com/search?q=rocky...ih=735&safe=on

Comment

In the summer I trade in my Danner boots for a pair of black Jordan hightops! I get nods from the younger crowd when I'm out, and they are super comfy and light.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4235 users online. 193 members and 4042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X