Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vests that protect armpit/shoulders/etc?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vests that protect armpit/shoulders/etc?

Do you guys know of any ballistic vest companies that make vests with features like that? Armpit/Shoulder protection? Just looking at the FBI Officer Death statistics, it's something I'd definitely be interested in.

My department is getting ready to buy new tailored vests for all the Officers, and I'd like to bring some suggestions of vests to my Chief.

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure only SWAT style vests offer those.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

There are manufacturers with arms and armpit protection add on kits. Take a look at quartermaster or galls site for specific manufacturers.

Comment

For concealed body armor??? Never seen it...

External? Many.

If you are buying new vests, consider the newer FBI's Body Armor Test protocol, in addition to NIJ.

I'd also recommend 100% kevlar/aramid woven fibers... no laminates/hybrids.
        Last edited by Resq14; 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

For a concealed vest?.....I have never seen anything like that....

External carriers?.....lots of options
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Yea that is mainly an external vest thing because of the added bulk. You can get good concealable vests that come up higher into the armpits to protect against axillary shots, but consider this:

increasing armor coverage increases weight and decreases mobility/comfort. I personally would rather be able to move/fight and NOT get shot than be like a tactical turtle and fatigue more quickly or not be able to move and avoid getting shot.

Comment

^^^^This.

Patrol armor is a trade off of maneuverability, vs. coverage. I'd rather be able to move in a fight.

Comment

The adage goes:

- Strong
                - Lightweight
                - Cheap

Now choose any two.
                Last edited by Resq14; 04-10-2011, 02:55 AM.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6136 users online. 329 members and 5807 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X