Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tactical vest with out of date leve IIIa armor?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical vest with out of date leve IIIa armor?

Currently issued level2 body armor.
    Would a level 3a vest worn over my issued vest be effective?

I want to put together a bailout / tac vest. To hold spare magazines and other gear for active shooter or high risk warrants. It's my own money but also my blood... Used 3a armor is cheap to buy. A vest and armor is less than 300.00

Or should I look at a plate carrier set up?
    Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

IIIA + II ≠ rifle protection

If rifle threat protection is what you're looking for, I'd go with a plate carrier and plates.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Thanks- I just wanted to check.
      Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

I've been told that it makes no appreciable increase in ballistic protection but I have the same setup. We have IIIA vests and as they are replaced I take the old one and put it in a tac carrier and keep it in the car for possible off-duty encounters or to add on top of my first-line vest in a high risk situation. The ballistic protection may not increase much but I figure that some increase is better than none and at lease it should help dissipate the blunt force trauma associated with taking a round.
        "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people [email protected], then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
          IIIA + II ≠ rifle protection

If rifle threat protection is what you're looking for, I'd go with a plate carrier and plates.
          ^^^^agreed

Tac Force plate carrier about $100 at http://tac-force.com/webtacstrikeplatecarriervest.aspx

Used plates $140 at http://www.kiesler.com/police/produc...2617&pid=22630

I have seen plates that are cheaper on Ebay but you have to find them.
          Last edited by ummone; 03-25-2011, 01:09 AM.
          This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Thanks- heck I always thought such was protection was pricey. Kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

nom de plume

Comment

ryker, I can get you a used plate carrier (great condition) at a better price. PM if interested.

Comment

look at your body armor manufacturer you may be able to find a rifle plate carrier that holds your soft panels and rifle plates.

Comment

I would not recommend used plates or any armor off of ebay. ever.

Kiesler's might be a better option. Max Pro Police makes inexpensive plates as well.

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                  ^^^^agreed

Tac Force plate carrier about $100 at http://tac-force.com/webtacstrikeplatecarriervest.aspx

Used plates $140 at http://www.kiesler.com/police/produc...2617&pid=22630

I have seen plates that are cheaper on Ebay but you have to find them.

Comment

Figured I'd ttt this. I'm looking for some good - used armor/carrier. Job is part time so the department isn't helping fund any of my gear.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                      I would not recommend used plates or any armor off of ebay. ever.

Kiesler's might be a better option. Max Pro Police makes inexpensive plates as well.
                      Do what you have to until you can afford a shiney new vest. Used is better than nothing.
                      This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

Comment

Condor makes a $100 carrier. lapolicegear.com

Comment

They have a new plate carrier from Tactical tailor for 56 bucks. Its ACU. I just ordered one and plan to try and dye it OD Green. I am ordering some level IV plates in the morning.

PM me if you want info for the carrier.
                          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Make sure you know exactly what you're getting for plates... stand alone vs. in conjunction.... multi-hit rated.... composition... operating/storage parameters, etc
                            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                              Currently issued level2 body armor.
                              Would a level 3a vest worn over my issued vest be effective?

I want to put together a bailout / tac vest. To hold spare magazines and other gear for active shooter or high risk warrants. It's my own money but also my blood... Used 3a armor is cheap to buy. A vest and armor is less than 300.00

Or should I look at a plate carrier set up?
                              about as much an "expert" on body armor as I am an expert chef, BUT I do know that some properly stored ballistic body armor has STOPPED rounds it was rated to defeat up to ten yrs after issuance. Keep in mind,i'm talking "properly stored". Manufacturers limit their warrantees on performance to 5 yrs after manufacture. I have personally shot up well USED level II and IIA vests that were up to 15+ yrs old on our depts range, and they defeated the rounds they were rated for.but that was in a controlled environment.

I currently use a Second chance Monarch level II armor in my Tac shell carrier ( with 6X8 trauma plates in front and back) for roll outs in my plain clothes capacity, and a Level II,with same front/back plates, for patrol and uniform duty.Against Shotguns or pistol rounds I feel confident in the protection, but I know rifle fire would present a serious threat. I am planing on saving a few bucks and upgrading to a IIIA by summer time, with heavier ballistic plates. ( the Dept will shortly be issuing my a level III TACT vest also, and customized M-4)

I would advise against the old vest over the new vest,especially if the Dept doesn't approve of that- could be an issue if there is a duty related injury while worn).Kevlar is remarkable in its performance, but it does degrade like any thing else, so don't trust that that will be a fix for whatever you need it for. If its that serious, back up on the calls you go to, and have the "Hard boys"( your agencies SWAT/SRT) get in there. trusting in old stuff is a last ditch ,"better than nothing" approach. Seems safer to add heavier trauma plates to your current "rated" level II armor...
                              Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM.
                              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5577 users online. 357 members and 5220 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X