300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 511 flashlight

Is anybody using one of those 511 brand flashlights? Is it worth it? I have a Streamlight stinger that I bought about 17 years ago when that was the best technology available and am satisfied with it. The 90 second charging and the fact I won't be buying anymore batteries are a real selling point for the 511. I realize you don't want to skimp on equipment but I'm getting close to getting out and 150 bucks for a new flashlight at this point in my career may not be a wise investment. Let me know if anyone's got one and if you are satisfied with it. I know one guy working with me bought one and is happy with it.

i would stay with the streamlight, the 5.11 is gigantic and i always laugh when i see someone walking around with one. Probably would work well as a softball bat imho. I really like the Streamlight Strion, it's very compact, fits easily on belt, and I've never ran the charge out on a 10 hr shift...
    In Valor there is hope

Comment

Stinger > Light for life

Comment

NO to 5.11 AND Stingers

I'm not impressed with the 5.11 light, and the Streamlight Stinger is a bad choice as well. Stinger sucks because it uses really old nicad battery technology. A better bet for a docking rechargeable type light of about the same size would be the Inova T4 or Pelican 7060. They both use lithium ion batteries, which last longer, charge faster, and don't have to be replaced constantly like Stinger nicad batteries. The Strion uses lithium ion batteries, but isn't as long as the others so it is harder to tuck under your arm on traffic stops. Still a good light though.

If you're willing to do a non-docking light, even higher performing lights are available.
        Last edited by toasterlocker; 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. When I bought the Stinger 17 years ago it was the way to go but s### changes. I'll take a look at the Inova T4, Pelican and Streamlight Strion and see which one I like the best.

Comment

Originally posted by toasterlocker View Post
            I'm not impressed with the 5.11 light, and the Streamlight Stinger is a bad choice as well. Stinger sucks because it uses really old nicad battery technology. A better bet for a docking rechargeable type light of about the same size would be the Inova T4 or Pelican 7060. They both use lithium ion batteries, which last longer, charge faster, and don't have to be replaced constantly like Stinger nicad batteries. The Strion uses lithium ion batteries, but isn't as long as the others so it is harder to tuck under your arm on traffic stops. Still a good light though.

If you're willing to do a non-docking light, even higher performing lights are available.
            never had to replace my stinger battery or strion battery...maybe you got bad ones?
            In Valor there is hope

Comment

One major fault that the 5.11 lights have is the charger itself. The charger shorts out if it comes in contact with water. I haven't heard of the flashlight itself going bad, but I have seen the charger going bad, and needing to be replaced. Now, one way to avoid this is by simply keeping your 5.11 flashlight dry, but who here has not used their flashlights in the rain. I considered it when the flashlights came out, but no thanks, I'll stick to my P17.

Comment

Although there are a lot of intriguing possibilities, I think LED technology is still improving and getting less expensive.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I have a 5.11 Light of Life and I love it. I feel that that if it isn't kept in the cradle it loses its charge rather fast (without use), but the 90 sec charge time more than compensates for it.

Comment

SCSU74, If you have never had to replace a Stinger battery, you are in a minority. It makes sense you wouldn't have to replace a Strion battery (because it is lithium ion), but every Stinger I have come across or heard about (with the exception of you) ends up having having trouble holding a charge. Nicad batteries are notorious for this. Even if that wasn't a problem, lithium ion would still be the way to go. There is a reason the Strion is just as bright as a Stinger but about half the size, it is because lithium ion batteries are better.

Comment

5.11 needs to make a METAL one...Great concept just needs a little fine tuning. I was really impressed with the smaller version's brightness, and 90 sec. recharge would be priceless in a lot of situations.

Comment

Not impressed at all with the 5.11. Basically it is way too big... not cool. Especially when I can get equal or better performance (without the rapid charging), from lights half that size.

Besides, given my track record with 5.11 boots and pants... I really doubt that light is going to last a lifetime or anything close to it.

But I will give them credit, it is the only thing on the market that will charge that fast.

As for the rapid charging being useful....

Yes and no. Yes that you can throw it on the car charger and be ready to go. No in that it would require you having a charger nearby. I've been on plenty of long calls where a walk back to the car might be impractical or impossible for whatever reason. Having a light that you can feed spare batteries to is a lot more reliable, but expensive.
                        Last edited by Dingo990; 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

...If you're willing to do a non-docking light, even higher performing lights are available.
                          SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't let out the secret!

Brighter, lighter, LED, rechargeable (NiMH or preferrably Li-Ion)
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

Comment

SCSU74, If you have never had to replace a Stinger battery, you are in a minority. It makes sense you wouldn't have to replace a Strion battery (because it is lithium ion), but every Stinger I have come across or heard about (with the exception of you) ends up having having trouble holding a charge. Nicad batteries are notorious for this. Even if that wasn't a problem, lithium ion would still be the way to go. There is a reason the Strion is just as bright as a Stinger but about half the size, it is because lithium ion batteries are better.
                            didn't know that, guess there is a reason why the strion is on my belt and the stinger is in my bag haha. we also got both for free during the academy so i may be a little partial
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                              we also got both for free during the academy so i may be a little partial
                              What?! When did FWPD start issuing flashlights?

Time to wander down to the academy and see what I can dig up......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3317 users online. 163 members and 3154 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X