300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical holsters for duty use

Did a search earlier and couldn't find anything. I'm looking for some advice of officers that use thigh rigs for duty use. Our department recently approved them so if we want to have them, we can. Any pro's or con's to this method of carry? I'm a little interested in trying it out. Thanks!
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Thigh platforms are less comfortable when moving quickly (running). And I think they look less professional (like Dog the Bounty Hunter's thigh mounted mace). If you drive a car with already cramped leg room I think you'd be dissappointed. Sit in your usual position and examine the area the holster would be. Is it accessible? Too cramped? Tight against the radio console?

A plus is when you're wearing winter parkas. the platform is more accessible.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Bad idea. The only reason for thigh holsters is because you are wearing tactical vest with too much gear in the way to allow a proper draw from a belt-mounted holster. Thigh holsters are too low for a maximally efficient draw and can't be very well protected against a grab during a fight or in a crowd. Only use one if your equipment requires it and a belt holster just will not function.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

There are a couple Officers at my department that wear them. I use to, but switched back to the him. A couple of our smaller officers wear them, so there is more room on the belt. They throw their recorders or cell phones on the straps and one has his baton on there. I liked it in that, when my arm would hang, it was exactly where my holster was. So my master grip was incredibly easy to get from their.

But like KenW. was saying it takes a lot of your leg room away. Also, if you are wearing BDU type pants, you can't use that side. It also looks pretty intimidating and less professional.

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses, I may borrow my partners old one for a test drive to see if i like it as an option.

I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Almost all con's except when wearing an entry vest:

1. Retention in a struggle sucks
            2. Sitting sucks
            3. Running sucks
            4. Walking sucks

Why not look at getting a "drop" adapter for your duty holster? I have my Safariland 6360 on a 1.5" drop, which puts it lower then a standard duty holster but higher than a thigh rig. Really no "unlearning" of muscle memory so to speak, easy to wear/comfortable while sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
              Almost all con's except when wearing an entry vest:

1. Retention in a struggle sucks
              2. Sitting sucks
              3. Running sucks
              4. Walking sucks

Why not look at getting a "drop" adapter for your duty holster? I have my Safariland 6360 on a 1.5" drop, which puts it lower then a standard duty holster but higher than a thigh rig. Really no "unlearning" of muscle memory so to speak, easy to wear/comfortable while sitting.
              I'll check it out. I'm really looking at the Blackhawk Level III Serpa for duty use. I have a level II that I use off duty and I'm really quick and comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                I'll check it out. I'm really looking at the Blackhawk Level III Serpa for duty use. I have a level II that I use off duty and I'm really quick and comfortable with it.
                I wore a SERPA Level 3 for a while on duty and was very happy when I was able to switch back to a Safariland. The SERPA is a great concept and hard for someone other than the wearer to draw from, but it has a lot of disadvantages. The plastic feels a lot thinner, almost cheaper, and like it would break apart easily. Also, there were 3 of us trying them out and every one of us though it hurt our hip more than a normal holster. I went to an ALS with light and 1.5 inch drop, then back to a regular ride and am happy. On though I would like to try is the new Safariland adaptor which is half 1.5 inch attachment, half thigh holster. It lowers the holster and has a leg strap to help take some of the weight off the hips.

Edit: I think this is what I was talking about http://www.copquest.com/23-6290.htm
                Originally posted by Ceridwen
                Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Go with Safariland if you have a choice.

Comment

I read an article somewhere that if you put the thigh holster where your arm naturally hangs, which is more towards the top of your thigh then the side it makes it easier to draw from a sitting position, which I my mind would be a pro, because whenever I am sitting in the car it is difficult to draw from a normal holster especially with an outside vest.

Comment

I hate that look for a Patrol Cop. My 2 cents worth. The only time a thigh rig is called for is a SWAT set up, not for day to day use.
                      Last edited by MidwestCop; 03-25-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4011 users online. 254 members and 3757 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X