300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep pins straight?

What do you guys use to keep your "merit" pins straight.(the ones above your nametag: merit, firearms, swat, etc.) It's a pain in the rear lining those darn things up. I know there has to be an easier way.

Cardboard ...................................
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I just don't do anything merit-worthy, so I don't get any merit pins to worry about. Sorry.

Comment

Someone taught me to use a piece of cardboard as a template. Some guys just use the cardboard to get pins lined up, then remove the cardboard and put the dammits on, some keep the cardboard on to keep the pins from sagging.

I tried using the clear plastic clam-shell packaging from something I bought. I cut a flat piece out of that and keep it on the pins while I have my uniform on. Does not wear out quick like cardboard and it is flatter so the dammits stay on better. Had the same piece of plastic for a few years now and I don't think I'll need to replace it soon. Only use it for my name tag and flag pin anyway. All the "special" pins go on my formal uniform and see the light of day once every few years.
        "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Comment

Cardboard template or if you have a light colored shirt you can take a fine tip Sharpie and stain the spot your pin will go through.

Comment

Our academy store sells small metal strips that have the holes in them for the pins....then you pin the whole thing on at once.

More than one row of the pins tends to make you look like a general from a South American country though.....
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

i just take the time to line it up, then wear the same shirt for 2 weeks.....no muss, no fuss

Comment

x2!

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

I think I'm going to try one of these. For $10 it'll be worth it if it works good.

Comment

Ive also seen the same thing done with the plastic lid the comes on coffee cans

Comment

I've only got one as an officer but in the Marines we used to use a piece of an old khaki belt to hold them up. This was if you only had a few ribbons. They make spacer sets too.
                      "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                      I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Why wear all of the flair to begin with? I am eligable to wear 8 or so different awards. I rarely do, except on holidays or for special events.

It's bad enough that I have to wear shiney metal stuff on my uniform to begin with.

The cardboard solution is the best one. Use a ruler to draw a straight line and then use the line to align the awards.
                        Last edited by 11b101abn; 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

You want to put them on straight to begin with or you want to keep them from sagging? Both issues are small pains.

To line them up straight, a good solution is 2 quarters (stacked) away from your point of reference. (Name tag, top of breast pocket, etc.)

To keep them from sagging, small piece of cardboard usually does the trick.
                          Press hard, you're making 4 copies.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                            +1111111

Comment

Go to an awards center and they will make a bracket for them and it looks very professional. Ours charges less than $15 and will add new pins for just the price of the pin.
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5657 users online. 333 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X