Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coogan
    replied
    Havent seen anyone mention this polish. I used to use Kiwi (reg and parade gloss) in the military. Recently, I started using Griffin Polish. I've noticed that it holds a little longer than Kiwi, but the shine is the same. No substitutue for time and effort to make your boots look good.

I talked to a the guy at the Shoe Hospital here in town and he said that they put a heavy coat on the boots and them set them in a room at a little over 100*F for a day. I've heard of people putting their boots in the oven to let the polish set in, but I'm just not THAT particular about my boots. Best way IMO is apply, polish and repeat.

Leather Luster makes boots look cheap... just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    Originally posted by BPD_126 View Post
    Cotton t-shirt around two fingers, swirl around in KIWI, dip KIWI into ice water, apply in swirls to boot. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat...........
    Right on the money...except I dip the shirt into water first, then into the Kiwi.

I've been using both Kiwi & Lincoln Wax lately (not at the same time, alternating between polishings). I can't tell a difference. My agency supplies Lincoln Wax, so I think I'll just use that from now on once my Kiwi runs out.
    Last edited by NBW791; 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM. Reason: Edit

Leave a comment:

• BPD_126
    replied
    Cotton t-shirt around two fingers, swirl around in KIWI, dip KIWI into ice water, apply in swirls to boot. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.......... Once it shines, use 4 drops of Chatanooga Fats Seal-a-shine and apply w/ a cotton ball. Done.

I still have the original 2 oz bottle of seal-a-shine from the academy 6 years ago and use it all the time. Good $10 investment.

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    Originally posted by PC Plum View Post
    If you have the time there is no substitute for hard work, spit and polish....if you want tjo cheat...Morello paint on polish!
    AMEN! Spit shines just look better too and it says, "I care about the appearence of my boots," rather than, "I sprayed painted these 5 minutes ago."

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    My operational duty boots just have to be clean and black, not necessarily mirror-polished, so I use one of the Kiwi or Tana liquid polishes, then after the stuff dries I give them a quick buff with a shoe brush. Sometimes I will spray silicone waterproofing on the boots, whether or not they were designed to be waterproof.
    I find the biggest problem with boots is getting them clean and dry before putting any polish on. Most times I just fill up the tub, or sink, dunk the boots in (again, whether or not waterproof) and wash them down, either with just a cloth, or a nail brush, or old mesh shower scrubbie, plus an old toothbrush to get the sole welts and other areas where the stitching meet. If the boots are really dirty, I will use some hand soap (bar or liquid) to get out the ground-in dirt - I used to use saddle soap but can not be bothered to buy that crap any more. Let the boots dry, apply the liquid polish, buff, maybe repeat, then the odd time apply hard wax.
    My ceremonial parade uniform boots are a bit of a different matter, both in terms of keeping them glossy, as well as the colour and size of them.
    My formal dinner dress uniform boots are black, and I use a combination of liquid polish then buffing, following by hard wax spit polishing.

Leave a comment:

• Rasmblack
    replied
    My dept has a large container of Lincoln wax in the locker room with shoe buffers and such. When I was in the AF a few years ago I used the leather luster and even though the first few coats looked great running around in lakes, rivers, mud, sand, snow, and everything else my boots looked like crap by the end of my shift and was a pain in the *** to take off even with the remover. My higher ups in the AF did not like my "chipping paint" look my boots had going on. I like the Lincoln better than Kiwi personally.

Leave a comment:

• PC Plum
    replied
    If you have the time there is no substitute for hard work, spit and polish....if you want tjo cheat...Morello paint on polish!

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    I must correct myself regarding my previous disapproval of Lincoln Wax. I got a can of it tonight and tried it out on my Rockys. I put 6 or 8 coats of it on and it did a fine job. I applied it with an old, damp t-shirt and brushed it off with a horsehair polishing brush. I took off one coat of it with the shirt and it just didn't bring out the shine as well.

I did not apply any parade gloss this time but think they are just about as shiney as my regular Kiwi job with the parade gloss. They look fine, so I would say Lincoln or Kiwi is fine in my opinion. Still not a fan of leather luster....you'll never convince me!

Leave a comment:

• H&D
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabre View Post
    [Insert witty comment about how it makes sense that something as awful as Leather Luster, hated in the Marines, would be applauded in the Air Force]
    I'm prior Security Forces and Leather Luster was looked down on. I guess things have changed, and not for the better.

Leave a comment:

• Sabre
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureRPD
    Wow just had to let people know your a Marine right....pause for applaud....Congrats man you must be the coolest guy in here. Let me guess now your thinking of some insult for me that involves you referring to the Air Force as Chair Force.
    I guess you're rather insecure if some gentle ribbing hurts you that bad
    Last edited by Sabre; 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• flhtbill
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureRPD
    No we don't do stationary bikes....Unless we are on a profile for running or something.....however, in the USAF we still have BDU's and black boots, so yes we still shine even though 99.99999999% of the Air Force wear the suede boots....if BDU's were authorized in my squadron I would shine my boots and Press my Uniform....just looks better. But the lighter meathod works like this......you grab your application brush and spread a whole lot of boot polish on your leather.....brush it in with the Horse brush....then tip the boot upside down and apply the lighter you will see it start to melt...before it drips grab some cotton, nylon, or whatever you use to work in the polish and dip in some water then rub to shine......and repeat
    I would not recommend the lighter method as this burns off the oils in the polish that help to condition the leather. Besides, polish is flamable and you should have seen what happened to the airman who lit his can of polish and spilled it on his leg, OUCH. Five standard coats of apply and brush off with five minutes between application and brush off. Then start your spit shine process. There is no substitue for the elbow grease involved. After that, spit shine as needed. I tried cold water in the lid and warm water in the lid of the polish tin. Neither seemed to make a difference. After a month or so, you are going to have to brush with a course brush and start over. Cotton balls worked best with light pressure for me.

Leave a comment:

• tayous1
    replied
    Funny the best boot that polish up for me are the ones I wore for about two weeks in salt water when I was in boat school. The lighter works great there are two was of doing it one is to set the wax on fire in the tin put the flame out and apply to boot. The other way is to apply wax to boot then take a open flame to the leather.

I used the polish in a bottle stuff once boots came out ok but after a few days it started to crack and was a pain to get off my boot. Advice cheaper boot polish easier then ones that cost more. My Danners take a long time to polish my guess is I'd have to go back boot camp style and polish them for 1.5 hours a night to get anything really nice on them. Or if you have a bench grinder change the wheel on it to lose fabric add a little wax and you have a good polish in not time. Yes I know someone who did this in the military.

Leave a comment:

• eyildiz
    replied
    Hey you guys do staionary bikes instead of running for pft right?

Jk bro. Were all in the military, thanks for your service.

That being said, we don't shine **** in the military anymore since they're all suede so...

I hate the shiny leather look so much, but I believe I gotta do it for the academy... ill be using mil spit shine method. Never heard of the lighter one. How doess that work?

Leave a comment:

• Rblake
    replied
    I used leather luster on a pair of boots in the army and the leather became very dry and cracked. I used the remover, but kiwi never really worked on the boots after that because the texture of the boot leather had become very rough.

I went back to doing it the old fashioned way. I use a thick coat of kiwi on my patrol boots, use a lighter to heat it up, once applied, then use a terry cloth towel dipped in ice water to polish it. It comes out very nice. If I want to go a step further and will remain out of the rain/water, I use Mop n Glo. Looks like black glass when finished.

Leave a comment:

• Cyber_Saint
    replied
    I used parade gloss daily for about a year on my Danners. I don't know any of the fancy scientific terms, but the polish started to "crack" after a while and would look like crap unless you put a few layers on a day.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5299 users online. 315 members and 4984 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X