300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best rechargeable flashlight

Looking for a super bright flashlight. (tint piercing)

Any suggestions. I have heard good reviews on this http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm

Thanks,

Matt

anything by Lumahunter is great

Comment

pelican 7060 hands down

Comment

Originally posted by K9deputyk16 View Post
        pelican 7060 hands down

The Lumapower blows the Pelican away on all fronts.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96226

Comment

I'm slowly but setadily getting away from rechargables. As a defective, I work daytime only (generally) and those things go dead over time.

I have a few battery operated LED lights that are real strong and I'm happy with. They don't go dead OR drain the car battery over time. I'm getting to like replacable batteries once again.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I agree with KW. Rechargeable lights are great, 'til they go dead. And that always happens when you need it most. Replaceable batteries can also be recharged (NiMhs) and you can rotate them so you always have a fresh batch ready to go. Also, just in case you find out you forgot to freshen them up, you can swing by any market and pick up some regular batteries for your shift.
            Last edited by Gearilla; 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I own and carry lights that use 6 AA alkaline primary or NiMH rechargeable cells, 3 x CR123A li primary or RCR123A 3 v li-ion rechargeable cells or 2 x 18500 3.7 v li-ion rechargeable cells, or 4 x CR123A or RCR123A or 2 x 18650 cells, and carry spare primary and charged rechargeable cells in my duty bag.

I prefer carrying the type of lights that use either primary cells or a rechargeable power source that requires the cells to be recharged in an external charger, so that the light is always ready to work without having to sit in a charger base / hook.

I used to prefer incandescent type lights, but recommend LED type lights now due to the advances in LED output. Black Bear Flashlights seem to be a very good choice for rechargeable powerful incandescent lights in a familiar format.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Coke vs. Pepsi

As I am sure you are quickly coming to realize, there really isn't one single best rechargeable flashlight, other than the one that is with you fully charged when you need it. It really is a lot like the Coke vs. Pepsi debate. To a large extent it is personal preference. There really isn't a "one size fits all" when it comes to flashlights or even rechargeable flashlights. I have several that I happen to think are very good. They are:

-Inova T4

-Pelican 7060

-Streamlight Stinger LED

The Inova T4 has been taken over by my wife. I bought the Pelican 7060 personally because I was underwhelmed by the work issue Streamlight Stinger (original incandescent). Now the agency gave me a Streamlight Stinger LED, so my 7060 stays in my pickup truck instead of the unmarked ride. To some extent I suggest that you look at what your agency provides, because if you have a vehicle charger in your squad, you can use that to charge your light. The PD I formerly worked at had Streamlight SL-20s, the original not the SL-20X, and people got so accustomed to using them for a few minutes, charging them constantly, and rarely replacing the battery sticks, that when you actually needed it for more than a few minutes it didn't last. I have added a link to CandlePowerForums. There is probably more information there than you wanted to know about flashlights. The other thing that I often gently remind fellow cops, new cops and us old dogs, if you work any traffic at all, even if you are in plain clothes, like me, and ever assist uniformed officers at a crash, get two things and have them with you in the car:

-traffic wand

-high visibility traffic vest

I have been at way too many crashes and have seen way too many close calls where cops, firefighters, etc. were trying there best to control traffic without a vest and without a traffic wand. Lets face it, many soccer moms are busy yakking on their iPhones about Johnnys game while driving the "grocery getter", so anything you can do to avoid getting hit is bound to help. And it is easy to say, "Well, I work dope, so I don't go to crashes." That kind of complacency can be dangerous because just when you think you don't have to worry about that is when you are at a crash and you are the first, and only, responder for a quite a while.

I also looked at Pelicans web site quick, if you want a bigger rechargeable the Pelican 8060 might be worth a look at. It looks like it has a rechargeable battery stick, but you can swap it out for non rechargeable batteries, from their site: "The 8060 LED can be used with 4C alkaline batteries (not included). When using this type of battery the peak light output is 190 lumens and the burn time is eleven hours. Download the comparison of Ni-MH and alkaline burn tests showing light output over time."

It looks like Streamlight has a newer Stinger DS LED HP that might also be worth taking a look at.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=172

http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=8060

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/portal/index.php
                Last edited by Jim1648; 12-12-2009, 12:31 PM. Reason: Details

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                  As I am sure you are quickly coming to realize, there really isn't one single best rechargeable flashlight, other than the one that is with you fully charged when you need it. It really is a lot like the Coke vs. Pepsi debate. To a large extent it is personal preference.

I can't agree with this.

I can agree that preference is important but you have to look at some of the features of each light that separate them from one another. It's like a Chevy vs. Lamborgini, the Lamborgini will just have some features that the Chevy won't and will be able to perform at a higher level.

The Lumapower that I was talking about has specs that the Inova, Pelican, Streamlight and Surefire can't match. I looked at all of those lights before I purchased the Lumapower MRV SK.

The Lumapower:LED

http://www.batteryjunction.com/digit...lumapower.html

- 280 lumens for 4 hours (see if any of those other lights has that)

- 85 lumens for 12 hours

- 20 lumens for 48 hours

- Strobe function - works great for getting people's attention and traffic.

- Can run on one 1860 rechargable or two CR123's (the small non-chargeable's that have a shelf life of 10 years and go in most Surefires and pistol lights). I like this feature so if my light runs out I can take the batteries from my pistol light and exchange them.

- Can add an extender to use two 1860 batteries or four CR123's.

- The 1860 rechargeable's it runs on don't drain when its not being used like Streamlight batteries. You can use the flashlight months after the batteries have been charged and it will be like new. (Try that with a Streamlight type battery which starts to drain the minute its off the charger).

- The 1860 batteries it runs on are charged outside of the flashlight, so you can charge batteries while you use the flashlight.

- 1860 batteries only cost about $5 to $8, so they are cheap to replace and you can have plenty of extras. They should last about 3 to 4 years each.

- Charger for the 1860 batteries only costs about $12 to $18. So you could have a charger at home and at work.

- Can upgrade the engine as newer more efficient and powerful engines come out in the future.

- Fits in Streamlight Stinger holsters (same size).

- Striker bezel in case you need to use it as a weapon. (You use the weapon you have in your hand at the time).

- Was $89, which is cheaper then all of those other lights.

I've used my flashlight with cops who have Streamlight SLX-20's, Streamlight LED's, Surefires and mine was significantly brighter then all the others. So bright in fact that other cops have said, "Wow, that light is way brighter then mine, what is it?"

And I've had people I've shone with the strobe and they've said, "There's no need for that, your blinding me, I'm going to get seizures."

So, if an Inova, Pelican, Streamlight or Stinger can do all that, I'd really be impressed......but they can't.

So, it's really not merely preference and Coke vs. Pepsi.

Last edited by HEDP; 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

On that note:

I keep my old Streamlight Stinger in my car attached and charging all the time for emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

On that note:

I keep my old Streamlight Stinger in my car attached and charging all the time for emergencies.

Do you find that the light dies before you expect, or that you have had to replace the rechargeable power pack? If so, probably because of how you have it charging all the time.
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                        Do you find that the light dies before you expect, or that you have had to replace the rechargeable power pack? If so, probably because of how you have it charging all the time.

I really don't use it enough to know how the battery is, I only keep it in my car for emergencies, but I know its definitely not as good as it used to be. However it is almost a 6 year old battery and they are only supposed to last for about that long or less.

Comment

Don't forget that subjecting your rechargeable (or any light) to varying temperature changes or keeping at very cold or hot temps will affect it.

Comment

I have the Dereelight DBS V3 w/OP reflector. Outstanding light output. Lights up anything with a wall of light. Throw is decent with the OP reflector, but the flood is outstanding.

Having said that if I could go back in time and purchase a different light I would pick the Lumapower MRV SK Ultra. Light is nearly, if not totally, identical to the Dereelight, but the way to change output levels is on the side. Big plus on that.

Be sure to get the extender tube for an extra 18650 battery. Don;t forget to buy a few extra battery's. Two extra sets is best IMO since two is one and one is none.
                            This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                              I really don't use it enough to know how the battery is, I only keep it in my car for emergencies, but I know its definitely not as good as it used to be. However it is almost a 6 year old battery and they are only supposed to last for about that long or less.

Find a local battery supply place and ask them to build / sell you a NiMH rechargeable pack the same length, diameter and voltage as the OEM in your light. The pack will work on your current car and / or home charger. Then take the light off the charger for a day or so when you will not be needing it, even leaving it on for several hours when it will not set something on fire, so that it runs the pack down, THEN re-charge it.
                              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10007 users online. 331 members and 9676 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X