X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.11 : Active Shooter Bag

Looking for one in FDE.

These are sold out everywhere I look.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Have one for sale?

Have a carbine class coming up, want to use it and eventually carry it for patrol needs.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-acti...oters-bag.html

Comment

Are you sold on 5.11? The bag looks way to big for being an "active shooter" bag. That, and everything 5.11 I've touched sucked in every respect.

I'd look at the EGL TAB bag, the Sneaky Bag line, or Hawkpaks line of bags. They are all much better suited to a fighting bag.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
        Are you sold on 5.11? The bag looks way to big for being an "active shooter" bag. That, and everything 5.11 I've touched sucked in every respect.

I'd look at the EGL TAB bag, the Sneaky Bag line, or Hawkpaks line of bags. They are all much better suited to a fighting bag.
        Are you serious? That bag EGL TAB bag looks like it is barely any smaller than the 5.11, and it is three times the price. Maybe you like it better, but I have difficulty believing it is 3 times better than the 5.11 bag.

I have the 5.11 bag Agent Fox wants, and I think it is terrific. My department issued active shooter trauma kit fits perfect in the main compartment, and the mag pouches are well placed.

I think in general 5.11 is overpromoted, but the bag in question here is good to go. I wish if people were going to complain about stuff they would at least make their complaints a little more specific than "it LOOKS too big" and "5.11 sucks."

Comment

Check out gtdist.com. I bought a black one a while back, but they were sold out and received the FDE. I'm actually happy the black was sold out because the FDE looks nice.

Comment

Toasterlocker I am 100% serious. The TAB bag is smaller then the 5.11 bag. It is designed to carry 3 30rnd magazines and the bare minimums (door chocks, first aid/medical kit, maybe a small water bottle.)

The theme of a lot of posts on here as it pertains to active shooter gear is that less is more, and I agree.

Simply looking at the 5.11 bag it states that it is designed to carry 6 m4 mags on the front pocket. That adds up to a lot of weight right off the bat. Plus it has what I view as superfluos extra pockets on the ends.

You want me to be more specific in my hate on 5.11?

1. every product of theirs I have has started to fall apart or came falling part (buttons, seams, pockets, mis-colored faded uniforms, etc etc.) That might sound trivial but when my department puts out hundreds of dollars per officer for jackets and they come with seams unraveling and missing buttons, what else does their QA miss?

2. Less is more. Everything out there the design and build is "Super deluxe bigger better!" Get the basics right first

3. You get what you pay for. Yep, my TAB cost almost a hundred bucks, but I view it as something I may carry towards the sounds of guns and trust my life to 100%. If my uniform pants fell apart after a misdemeanor assault by a washing machine, whats going to happen to my shiney $40 active shooter bag when i load it full of ammo/supplies/etc?

4. 5.11 customer service sucks. I met a rep one time at a trade show and he kept going off about how everything is end user driven. I asked why the didn't make anything in medium long (my size.) He said, just by bigger and the sleeves will fit. I said I look like I'm wearing a sack them. He said get it tailored. End user driven my a#$.

Comment

I think they choose these names simply to promote sales. It's not like there is any shortage of bags of varying designs out there.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I've tried and re-sold numerous types of these bags, including the 5.11, County Comm, and several Hawkepaks.

I've settled on this for a rifle bag:

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/219
                $29

I feel that most of these shoulder bags get in the way with a slung rifle. This one is the lowest profile bag I've seen that covers exactly what you need: ammo, blood-stopping tools, and maybe a few other accessories. Anything bigger is too heavy, too bulky, and impractical if you actually practice moving and shooting with it.

I think I've shifted to the reality that in an active killing situation, grabbing you rifle and going is the only concern. I think a fighting rifle should have a spare mag (redi-mag/redi-mod), sling, light, and spare batteries. I'm also a fan of EO Tech.

Of course, if you can't carry your own rifle, or if your department won't go for such a setup, a bag could be more practical.

For high risk situations where you have time to prepare, I think I'd go with a plate carrier with rifle plates and spare ammo and first aid mounted on MOLLE/PALS.

I view the bag simply as an inexpensive backup option to have, and maybe something to give to an unprepared co-worker. Our local departments are placing one of these bags in each car. I also have my own.

Don't get me wrong: the 5.11 A.S. BAG is good-to-go, especially for the price. But in actual use, I think you'd prefer the Hawkepak ITOA bag for basically the same price.
                Last edited by Resq14; 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I have that class coming up in November. I want to try it out there. If it is not what I need or like, I will get something to suit. I'm calling GTI here soon.

I have been in one shooting already. I didn't grab a bail out bag; didnt have one. Not sure if it would have helped even. The shotgun was enough. The area patrolled is not an if but a when kind of place. It is bound to happen. I'd like to be prepared.

I like the idea of a vest carrier set up, however, I have no other vest but the one I wear. Also, seems to be more than I'd need. I want something rather simple. A few extra rounds. Some blood stopping stuff.

I agree the gun being a means to supply itself short-term. A readi-mag for a reload, a grip that holds another battery, a stock that holds something else. Before I rush into a hot call though, I will take my gun AND a bag. If I am suprised by something, I wouldn't have had the time for my gun or the bag at all.

The bag ^ is slick. Simple. I may go that route. I like the 5.11 line, looks to do what I need it to do. Im sure there is higher test stuff out there. I have been involved with enough hobbies to know that the sky is the limit when it comes to accessories, tools, equipment, etc. So I don't want to argue brand. If it works, it works.

Though the 5.11 bag holds 6 or so mags, I don't need it to. The advertisements for it show a half a weeks stuff in the darn thing. I will keep the bag simple. Reloads. Blood stuff.

I like the topic. Keep discussing gentlemen.

Comment

Backorder. Contacted 5.11. BLK returns in NOV. FDE in DEC.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                      Toasterlocker I am 100% serious. The TAB bag is smaller then the 5.11 bag. It is designed to carry 3 30rnd magazines and the bare minimums (door chocks, first aid/medical kit, maybe a small water bottle.)

The theme of a lot of posts on here as it pertains to active shooter gear is that less is more, and I agree.

Simply looking at the 5.11 bag it states that it is designed to carry 6 m4 mags on the front pocket. That adds up to a lot of weight right off the bat. Plus it has what I view as superfluos extra pockets on the ends.

You want me to be more specific in my hate on 5.11?

1. every product of theirs I have has started to fall apart or came falling part (buttons, seams, pockets, mis-colored faded uniforms, etc etc.) That might sound trivial but when my department puts out hundreds of dollars per officer for jackets and they come with seams unraveling and missing buttons, what else does their QA miss?

2. Less is more. Everything out there the design and build is "Super deluxe bigger better!" Get the basics right first

3. You get what you pay for. Yep, my TAB cost almost a hundred bucks, but I view it as something I may carry towards the sounds of guns and trust my life to 100%. If my uniform pants fell apart after a misdemeanor assault by a washing machine, whats going to happen to my shiney $40 active shooter bag when i load it full of ammo/supplies/etc?

4. 5.11 customer service sucks. I met a rep one time at a trade show and he kept going off about how everything is end user driven. I asked why the didn't make anything in medium long (my size.) He said, just by bigger and the sleeves will fit. I said I look like I'm wearing a sack them. He said get it tailored. End user driven my a#$.
                      What I'm reading here (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you don't have any actual experience with the actual product in question, and you are basing your opinion of it off of some promotional photos and some poor experiences with jackets of the same brand.

I'm here, as someone who actually OWNS the bag, saying that it is NOT excessively bulky and does NOT get in the way. My department issued trauma kit fits in the main compartment perfectly. Also, it contours well to the hip so it won't be flopping all over while you're running like your little square pouch would. This bag will actually stay where it belongs, I don't see how yours would.

The construction of the bag is top notch. Just because you had some bad experience with a COAT does not mean this bag is going to fall apart if you look at it funny. I would love to do a side by side comparison with your bag, but I don't have $100 to blow on a purse that has marginal perceived advantage just because it is a TINY bit smaller and costs three times as much.

Now I'm not suggesting anyone get the 5.11 bag just because it has worked for me and costs 1/3 as much as this other bag. I believe spending lots of money on good gear is worth every penny, as long as the advantages are REAL and not just perceived.

Looking at this, it reminds me of threads I have read online where people INSIST that H&K AR magazines are better than Magpul P-mags, simply because they cost $50 instead of $15, and are made by H&K. May not be a direct parallel, but it certainly sounds familiar.

Comment

Dunno if you saw this already, but here is a thread with my crap in the 5.11 (way too much crap, btw):

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=91138

The ITOA bag is also reviewed by halfacop, with several sets of pics. Personally, it just fits and rides better than the 5.11 on me. *shrug* ymmv

Note that you can not secure 6 mags externally in the 5.11 bag... the flap will only cover single mags. This probably isn't a deal breaker, since 6 mags make the bag unwieldy.
                        Last edited by Resq14; 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM.

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

Let's just call them what they are....."Tactical man purses." Flame on

Comment

haha i've heard much worse than that!

Beats running out of ammo, light, or blood though!

Comment

Think what you will. I handled and played around with the 5.11 bag long before I got my TAB. I tried it in the store, loaded some stuff in it, and couldn't get it to comfortably fit my frame. That was my impression of the bag from just 10 to 15 minutes of trying it on, loading it with some basic stuff, etc. I just didn't like it.

My issue with 5.11 is as a whole. Everything I've gotten from them (either issued or personally bought) has had issued. I'm saying that my jumpsuits, pants, coats, shirts, etc all have seperate issues. Some were minor, such as color issues. Some were more obvious (such as two pairs of samed sized pants fitting completely different) to moderately annoying (frayed/split seams out of the bag) to obviously non-functional (missing buttons/parts.)

I guess my point is if each item I've gotten has had issues, why would I bother to look at anything else from that company? Have I run my TAB through buldings with guns blazing? No, but I read some reviews, tried some similar products and when I didn't find the fit and design I was looking for I bought the TAB.

Yes it cost more. Do I think it is better because it costs more? No, I honestly don't. Maybe if I get some more 5.11 products (issued, cause I sure as heck ain't gonna buy them) and the quality is better my opinion may change.

Again, YMMV, but there is nothing wrong with comparing company to company.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4245 users online. 241 members and 4004 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X