300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand cuffs.

I have not seen a thread on one of the most important pieces of equipment we carry. There are really only 2 types out there. (chained and hinge) There are however 3 major brands I can think of that produce handcuffs. (asp peerless and smith and wesson) Open top vs closed cases. What does everybody carry for one? Advantages vs Disadvantages between the 3 types? What kind of cases do you all carry. I carry 2 Asp hinge cuffs in open top cases. y? because they are easier to get out. Light weight and limits the mobility of the arrestee. I have however had nobody try to break out of the cuffs. I also carry one pair of regular chain peerless cuffs in a closed cuff holder. This one is carried for when I do have to fight a subject. They are easier to get on when the subject is resisting. So any advice you guys have would be great. One of my concerns with the ASP cuffs are that they may break when somebody really messes with them. Thank you to all.

You carry 3 pairs of cuffs?
    Originally posted by crass cop
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

2 pairs of Peerless 801 hinge in a closed top double cuff case in the front. Good cuffs, a little extra room inside, and easy to work with. I like the protection the closed top case offers as well as a more professional look. I've got 4 sets of various model smith & wesson and peerless chain cuffs in my bag.

Lightweight is really not something I WANT in a handcuff. And if you have a concern with your ASP cuffs breaking, you are out of your mind to carry/use them. Just my opinion.

Comment

There have been several threads on handcuffs.

Hiatt is another major brand.

Rigid handcuffs, and handcuffs that fold and become rigid, are also available, but they seem pretty uncommon.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I started out carrying S&W hinged because I liked how easy they were to hold. Yeah, they won't fit some people, but you can sure utilize pain compliance with them. At my current agency we're recommended not to use those, and I don't carry them everyday just because I don't want to listen to suggestions why. I now carry Peerless chained cuffs because I can hold them easier due to the design of the bottom rather than the flat design on the bottom of the S&W chained cuffs, plus I like the double locking feature better.

With regards to cuffs, I've never carried anything but one closed case behind my pistol.

Black cuffs are cool, but that's all they are. I've got one pair at home that have never been used. They were given to me, and maybe someday I'll find a reason to be "tacticool."

Comment

one closed top double cuff holder on back with one set of chained S&W and one set of hinged S&W. Another open top holder on back with one set of chained S&W. (3 sets of cuffs on person) one set of peerless 801 hinged and another chained S&W in car. First choice is always hinged S&W. Only use the chained when I've used my hinged.

Comment

I carry two sets of smith and wessons in open top safariland cases, plus a set of peerless in the car, all chained

Comment

I carried smith's for the first 11 years and then switched to ASP's. I carry 2 sets in open top Don Hume cases with a snap. The ASP have key holes and double locks on both sides, the chain links are more rounded which makes them harder to kink and break, and the edges are rounded so they're easier on the wrists. I don't like the hinged cuffs because they're hard to get on bigger guys.

Comment

2x peerless in a double-cuff Safariland accumold case, in front of my duty weapon (Hindi)

Comment

I have all S&W handcuffs. I have 4 chain (2 of them green and silver) and 1 Hinged. I carry a hinged and chain on me. The hinged are model 1's, so they open up bigger and close smaller. I like to keep the other 3 pairs the bag.

SOP says that handcuffs need to be in a closed case
                    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

I have 4 sets (2 sets issued, 2 are mine) with me on patrol, normally only carry 2, unless I'm in a situation that keeps me away from my vehicle (and there's a distinct possibility I may need more than 2 sets)

We are issued 2 sets of Asp chain cuffs, and I have 1 set of S&W chain and 1 set S&W hinge cuffs (both black in color) in a closed top case on my duty belt. The other 2 sets are either in my duty bag or sitting in the cup holder of my patrol vehicle.

Only reason I went with black is because we're issued black cuffs, and I was told that's what is authorized :shrug:

Comment

I can't believe more people don't use Hiatts. I started out with a pair of Peerless, but used a partner's Hiatts one night and was forever sold. PERIOD. Heavy duty, double lock, and by far the best cuff I've ever used. My current agency issues Smith & Wesson. When they gave me the two pair, I threw 'em back on the desk and said, "No thanks, I've got several pair of Hiatts."
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                          I can't believe more people don't use Hiatts. I started out with a pair of Peerless, but used a partner's Hiatts one night and was forever sold. PERIOD. Heavy duty, double lock, and by far the best cuff I've ever used. My current agency issues Smith & Wesson. When they gave me the two pair, I threw 'em back on the desk and said, "No thanks, I've got several pair of Hiatts."
                          I've never used Hiatts, only reason I use the Smiths is because that's what I was originally trained with, and it seemed to be the standard. Never really heard anything about the Hiatts, good or bad. I'll give them a try one of these days. The Asps are decent, definitely not sold on the size difference between them and the Smiths though. . . They are lighter, but the increased thickness makes finding cases for them difficult (esp. if you're carrying 1 pair hinged, 1 pair chained, and only enough room on your duty belt for a single double cuff case)

Comment

LASD issued some Hiatts' cuffs, but recalled them because the edges that contact the wrists are not as rounded as on other brands, and the department monitor was concerned about the potential for wrist injury.
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Rigid Cuffs

Hi

Here in Scotland we are issued with Hiatt Rigid Quikcuffs , (I carry 2 sets).

I cannot recommend them highly enough ! Here we do not have firearms or Tasers (yet) , and the majoratity of the time we have to go hands on with an arrested person , the good thing with the rigids is that if you do get one cuff on the accussed then generally you can control , or take them to the ground due to the amount of pain / pressure you can apply to their wrist.
                              Yes we do spend a lot of time basically fighting with our customers !

Cheers

Manimal

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4348 users online. 230 members and 4118 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X