300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with flashlights

Im looking to get a new flashlight, but not sure which one I want. Maybe you guys can help.

Right now I carry the INOVA XO3 LED as my primary, and a 2 C Cell Maglite on my gun belt. Im looking to replace the Maglite with another LED. Right now my choices are the 5.11 Light for Life, and the Pelican 7060 LED.

Looking for opinions.
    sigpic

There are about 5 of these damn questions on here. TRY LOOKING BEFORE REPOSTING!!!!!!

Comment

there is a good amount of info in here. but if that doesnt work. you could go to www.candlepowerforums.com they have about the most info i have ever seen on the topic of flashlights. Almost overwhelming.....totally blew me away at what can be done to lights.

Comment

Pelican 8060. LED. 200 lumens. Rechargable and can also take four C batteries.

Comment

3 posts under your as of now..........

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131625

Comment

I have a Strion Stinger. VERY compact and still VERY bright. Rechargeable. Great little light.
            "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
            but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
              Im looking to get a new flashlight, but not sure which one I want. Maybe you guys can help.

Right now I carry the INOVA XO3 LED as my primary, and a 2 C Cell Maglite on my gun belt. Im looking to replace the Maglite with another LED. Right now my choices are the 5.11 Light for Life, and the Pelican 7060 LED.

Looking for opinions.
              I would stay away from the 5.11 Light. The Pelican light is a nice light. But it's pretty much the same size as your current INOVA. So that would be silly to have two lights that are the same size. I would think you would want your backup light to be smaller than your primary light. In wich case I would recomend the Fenix TK11..Smaller light but very bright for its size.....In fact brighter than your INOVA.!

Comment

The 5.11 light is an experiment, a venture into tactical illumination by a company with no previous experience in that field.

Give it time, wait for reports to come in, and then decide yea (or nay) on whether to buy it.

Comment

thanks to those who took the time to answer.
                  sigpic

Comment

I got my TK11 (r2) from Amazon about a week or so ago, and I love it. It is brighter than the old rechargeable maglite I use to use, much less my old D or C cells. I also have the Fenix PD30, which is just awesome. It is smaller than the tk11, but almost as bright.
                    Lighten up Francis!

Comment

My thread about the subject:
                      http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=96226

Comment

I've also heard the same thing about the 5.11 Light for Life technology as being experimental and the jury is still out on that one. If you had to choose between those two, I think you should go with the Pelican 7060.

If I can throw a third flashlight into your mix, I personally recommend the Streamlight Polystinger C4 DS, which is what I use. It's very bright (brighter than the Pelican 7060) and has three brightness settings (which the Pelican 7060 doesn't have) and a strobe feature. The battery life is also supposedly longer than the Pelican 7060.

The Polystinger DS uses a rechargeable Nickel-Cadium battery...which supposedly has this "memory" feature when the battery isn't fully depleted when charged. However, supposedly, the C4 technology doesn't have this memory issue.

The Pelican 7060 uses the rechargable Lithium-Ion battery which doesn't have the memory feature problem.

Here's a video that was posted on youtube given a comparision between the
                        Pelican 7060 and the Polystinger DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuVYYA6eack

Hope this helps.

Comment

the polystinger seems like a good choice
                          sigpic

Comment

I carry the led ds polystinger on my belt. I definitely recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by AUX/PD View Post
                              The Polystinger DS uses a rechargeable Nickel-Cadium battery...which supposedly has this "memory" feature when the battery isn't fully depleted when charged. However, supposedly, the C4 technology doesn't have this memory issue.

The Pelican 7060 uses the rechargable Lithium-Ion battery which doesn't have the memory feature problem.
                              Abridged version of the following post: Do NOT get the Stinger. Period.

It isn't a memory "feature," it is a memory FLAW. The C4 LED might regulate the Nicad battery better than the old incan stingers, but Nicads should still be avoided with so many better Lithium ion choices out there. Recommending a nicad powered light these days is like recommending a Geo for a patrol vehicle.

I'll also add that the multiple modes on the Stinger isn't necessarily an advantage. I think multiple presses of the same button to change modes is clumsy. For duty light, I prefer something that is full power, all the time. If you don't want full power, you would be better served by a smaller extra light you can leave on your belt or put in a pocket. Or a light with a seperate side mounted switch, like the Lumapower MRV.

If you want a docking rechargeable light with multiple modes, the Inova T4 is a FAR better choice than the Stinger.

I also challenge the assertion that the Stinger is "brighter" than the Pelican. I don't believe that for a second.

In short, don't waste your money on the Stinger. It isn't a horrible light, and if one were issued to me I would use it without complaint. BUT if you are spending your OWN money on your OWN light, there BETTER choices for the same amount of money.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1879 users online. 122 members and 1757 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X